Double Fine testing PS4 to see how they can use it, says Schafer

Wednesday, 3rd April 2013 11:03 GMT By Dave Cook

Double Fine founder Tim Schafer has confirmed that his team is currently playing around with PS4 to see what it’s capable of, before deciding what the studio will do with it.

Speaking with OPM, Schafer said, “Let me just say we’ve been talking with Sony, can I say that? I don’t know, I think I might get in trouble.

“This is one of the first times where we’ve been approached by a platform holder like Sony and asked, ‘first, what do you guys want from this new box? We have this new feature, what could you do with it?’. We’ve already got some guys playing with some of the new features to see what we can do with it”.

Schafer has often criticised the big platform holder machine in the past due to the marketing control, spiralling costs and red tape at hand. However, Sony’s refreshingly open-platform approach has seen many indies heaping immense praise on the company.

On the matter Schafer added, “Yeah, I mean it’s not that hard to win over developers because all we want is to be treated with just a little bit of reason. Because often you just get told the most unreasonable, crazy things and you’re like ‘really? That’s how you’re going to treat us?’

“Just doing things like letting us patch our games when we want to, put our games on sale and release our games in territories that they should be released in – just doing a few things like that can make a developer very enamoured of you”.

Double Fine recently released the debut trailer for its Kickstarter-funded adventure game Broken Age. You can watch it here.

1. dex3108

Well done Sony. They are really working with developers for developers.

2. Dave Cook

@1 it’s awesome mate, so, so awesome.

3. OmegaSlayer

Mark Cerny.
    I will keep saying it for eternity.
    He’s the man of the big change.
    Bless him

4. redwood

@1 amen

5. KAP

Yea, it really is.
    Say what you want about Sony I think PS3 is the best thing that could of happened to them because it was the fact that them getting there ass kinda kicked this gen is forced there hand, to reevaluate the whole market and the way they communicate towards consumers and devs alike.

I’d go as far as to say if PS3 won this gen we’d all be experiencing the PS3-era all over again with PS4. It wouldn’t be half as awesome as it is now I don’t think.
    I’m looking forward to PS4. There’s not much 720 can really do now but reenact everything Sony has said and done in the last few months.

Or release a system 2x as powerful then PS4 which is… Highly unlikely.

6. Lengendaryboss

@5 Exactly i think MS let the success of Xbox get to their heads and now (not exactly in the same way) they are in Sony’s PS2 Dominance mind set. Sometimes arrogance can blind you, which led to Sony’s Downfall and now they hopefully are returning to glory.
    @1 Truly Amazing, i am very interested in seeing how this generation turns out.

7. OmegaSlayer

MS is waiting too much.
    Sony will announce other features by the time MS announce NextBox, and in the eyes of people every matched feature will be something MS ripped off from PS4.
    That’s TEH great advantage Sony got.
    Either NextBox is so revolutionary (even risky to be too much revolutionary) or it will look meh.

8. SeWICX

#7.

I agree with you man.
    Sony has done so much right since they announced the console back in february.

- Staying true, to all core/hardcore gamers.
    - Focus on GAMES
    - Give developers what they want/ what they need.
    - Lots of indie dev support.

I don’t think Microsoft can revolutionize the gaming experience with their “Kinect 2.0″ Microsoft IllumiRoom (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoUGRGjG07E)

Microsoft has to announce some pretty BADASS NEW IP’s in order to keep people interested.

Hopefully they bring something else to the table than JUST, HALO/Gears of War.

9. dex3108

Well MS could use money if everything else fail. For example If they buy GTA V exclusivity for next Xbox they will have small advantage. And they could continue to buy exclusive Titles instead of making their own. But we will see in upcoming weeks what MS have in mind :D

10. monkeygourmet

Isn’t this just what MS did last gen?

i.e. Build a PC in a console box?

Didn’t they work closely with dev’s like EPIC who helped up the amount of RAM in the system etc..

I can understand why people are happy, but it’s basically a Xbox which is basically a PC.

The best thing out of all this is Sony have finally ‘got it’. Comendable but it’s taken them long enough. Also, much of this was born out of financial situation I feel, but, again, thats just because I still don’t trust how a lot of their devisions do business. Although, the game’s side is definatly the best.

Also, the fact that Sony don’t have to push a media trojan horse into the living room helps a lot. Again, I don’t feel this decision was through goodwill rather than circumstance.

Bluray is still being used and streaming is now becoming more important to people.

Also, the fact the MS hasn’t announced anything surely means that Dev’s just can’t talk about it?

I don’t for a second think MS will make a CPU like the CELL, so lets assume the 720 will just be roughly the same as PS4 / PC.

I feel that MS will offer more rewards to dev’s who want to screw the consumer with DLC, Micro transactions next gen and that may prove to be popular for companies like EA etc… to maximise profits.

We will def see a lot of dev’s ‘integrity’ tested next gen if MS offer a more stable platform to deliver this kind of software or applications.

It’s a good thing the Sony seem to be courting dev’s, but to be honest I’m more suprised they haven’t been doing that for a looooong time.

All of this is slightly moot as Schafer’s recent output has been mostly shit and this just smacks of PR talk…

11. SeWICX

#9

What Microsoft did this generation with exclusive DLC- agreements is fucking terrible.

I had to wait for GTA IV: Episodes.
    Later this month I have to struggle yet again with Microsoft’s stupid DLC agreement.

I love playing zombies, and because I chose to play on the PS3. I am punished and have to wait for a WHOLE month…

12. Lengendaryboss

@9 I don’t think that strategy will work anymore. Because at the start of this gen the PS3 was apparently doomed by the start with its price, tough development problems and other issues and the timed exclusives were just the tipping stone in getting PS3 owners to join Xbox360, although now it just to piss PS3 owners off like @11. Judging how Sony and MS are now, PS4 dedicated to the core gamers, possibly reasonable priced and easy to develop for, the time exclusives won’t be a major tipping stone this time and MS Next Xbox controller doesn’t boost any major improvements, kinect 2.0 and possible EA exclusivity, but right now these are all rumors because there is nothing else to base it on. Besides i really don’t think Rockstar are going to port GTA V to next gen consoles. But like i said i am really interested to see how this gen goes.

13. Dragon246

@9,
    Thing is, everyone wants profits, even MS. I doubt an exclusive GTA will be worth the money as it would easily be worth 10 to probably 100s of million of dollars, since 2K would ask for at least as much money as they would make if they release on PS Platforms.

So, on other words, not probable. MS having money doesn’t mean it wants to lose it, or start charity.

Also agree with #1 and #5.
    Sony is probably the only company out of the 3 console manufacturers which salvaged a generation midway (PS3). And now PS4 looks to be correcting all those mistakes. PS3 initial debacle , in end, looks to be for the better for all – consumers, devs and Sony.
    MS really needs to pull something out of the hat to beat this.
    And this christmas seems to be the perfect disaster for Wii U.

14. Lord Gremlin

@11 Ha, I’ve just stopped buying ANY game that has any exclusive DLC/time on X360 (I use PC-PS3-Vita). It’s not hard at all actually. Not many games do that.
    I’m worried about the whole DLC thing though. Sony really should make DLC region free – it’s a major turd in their dish right now. And on Vita it’s truly horrible.

15. Espers

i really hate when some hot shot dev shows up and start bitchin around, DUDE !! these are very powerful hardware !! stop claiming you’re test capabilities, it is the other way around !! optimize your code, create a game that is fun … all western and especially american studios look at games from a business perspective !! from a hollywood perspective !! GAMES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE FUN !! NOT MOVIES !! that’s why 80% of my games are Japanese !! those people create games that are fun and it turns out a good revenue !! and most of all loyalty !!

Can you tell the difference between Counter strike or COD/BF4 when the latter is working on a high end pc !! the game runs fast as hell that you barely notice any graphic enhancements .. it like the soldiers are hovering instead of running … point and shoot … it only shows how dumb the western audience is !!