UK Charts: BioShock Infinite ascends to first

Tuesday, 2nd April 2013 09:49 GMT By Dave Cook

BioShock Infinite has rocketed to the top of the UK charts, trouncing the rest of the pack and netting 9000 more sales in its first week than BioShock 2.

You can check out my full appraisal of BioShock Infinite here – it’s spoiler-free don’t worry – and check out our review score round-up here.

Here’s the UK chart in full:

1. BioShock Infinite – Take 2
  14. The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct – Activision Blizzard
  15. Skylanders Giants – Activision Blizzard
  16. SimCity – Electronic Arts
  17. Need For Speed Most Wanted – Electronic Arts
  18. Halo 4 – Microsoft
  19. Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes – Warner Bros. Interactive
  20. God Of War: Ascension – Sony Computer Ent.
  21. Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed – Sega
  22. Just Dance 4 – Ubisoft
  23. Aliens: Colonial Marines – Sega
  24. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim – Bethesda Softworks
  25. Hitman Absolution – Square Enix Europe
  26. Lego The Lord Of The Rings – Warner Bros. Interactive
  27. Grand Theft Auto IV – Take 2
  28. Dead Space 3 – Electronic Arts
  29. Dishonored – Bethesda Softworks
  30. Dead Island Goty Edition – Koch Media
  31. Sly Cooper: Thieves In Time – Sony Computer Ent.
  32. Grand Theft Auto Episodes – Liberty City – Take 2
  33. Battlefield 3 – Electronic Arts
  34. Forza Horizon – Microsoft
  35. Resident Evil 6 – Capcom
  36. Darksiders II – Thq
  37. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance – Konami
  38. Batman: Arkham City – Warner Bros. Interactive
  39. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate – Capcom
  40. Sleeping Dogs – Square Enix Europe

1. Lengendaryboss

Oh dear bad Debut for Sly Cooper, i guess people were pissed it got delayed in Europe that and lack of ads (at least i am not aware of). God Of War Ascension still in the Top 20 not bad, but i should really have seen more Ads for it (I know there were on TV i overheard it). Its breaks my heart to see a poorly made cash in by the devil rank higher than those two games. Bioshock Infinite deserves that top spot, this is quality Take Two always drive for in their games and thats a quality hard fo find in most publishers these days.

2. Lengendaryboss

And Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate didn’t last long in charts, just proof the Wii U and 3DS is indeed a causal console.

3. Dragon246

@LB,
    MH3 is also available on 3ds isn’t it? I am thinking most sales will be of that version.

4. Lengendaryboss

@Dragon MH3U is available on both 3DS and Wii U, considering the install base of 3DS it should lead sales over the Wii U version.

5. viralshag

I think it’s safe to say that any decently advertised and hyped game will make it to number one these days.

From everything I have heard Infinite deserves the top spot but I’m glad to see TR in 2nd and even Army of Two sneaking a top ten spot.

I plan to get Infinite but probably in a Steam sale. I just don’t see the point anymore in paying £30 for a game when I know for a fact it will be at least 30% cheaper and probably within six months.

6. Dragon246

@LB,
    And Capcom wanted this to be the breakout game for MH. We probably arent seeing anymore MH localization anytime soon.

7. Lengendaryboss

@5 And thats a good or bad thing depending on the quality of the game. Well i think Bioshock infinite is well worth the price of admission and i always hate it when i buy a game and its cheaper the next day or next few hours piss me off :)

8. ExMorpheus

The UK market IS NOT an indication of the success of Monster Hunter. The Nintendo platforms ( 3DS and Wii U ) are not performing well in UK.

In France Monster Hunter Ultimate is a HUGE hit in France. The Wii U sales trippled with its release. I’m expecting pretty good sales in the US as well.

Great start for Luigi’s Mansion 2 though.

9. Lengendaryboss

@Dragon That is what they deserve for shacking up with Nintendo (The Family Friendly Company) when they have an audience on Xbox and primarily PlayStation that and no TV ads just speak commercial failure. But now i feel sorry for Monster Hunter fans, this will most likely stay locked in Japan for the foreseeable fortune.

10. viralshag

@7, I think most of the top spots deserve it but I just don’t think it’s a true indication of anything spectacular. Look at some of number ones this year (might not be all): Infinite, TR, Crysis 3, Aliens:CM, Dead Space 3, GOW: Judgement, FIFA and DMC.

Some have them were lucky to grace the top spot for a week.

11. DrDamn

Triple what though? It doubled here but double what? Decent result for Lego considering it’s only available at retail for £50 as far as I could find.

Might be indicative of the pricing too. Sly was £27-£30 retail but £20 digital – so more sales there possibly. It didn’t review all that well as it was deemed a bit too old school by reviewers.

12. Francis O

#7
    You called the 3DS a casual console because the sales of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate dipped?

So let me get this straight? UK sales dictate wheather a console is hardcore or casual? Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is on a system with a far less install base on it than the PS3 and Xbox 360

The fact that it even made the charts at all is amazing. Especially when many people said, Monster Hunter wouldn’t move consoles at all.

Plus, your post is shallow because Luigi’s Mansion was number 5, so you contradict yourself.

But then again, I shouldn’t waste my time arguing with you, you did say GTA was a hardcore game…… right next to Call of Duty, Madden, and Fifa.

13. Lengendaryboss

@8 While that might be very true, you seem to miss the fact that Capcom have an untapped audience on Xbox and primarily PlayStation. Locking it down to two Nintendo Platforms that are known for being causal is also limiting sales.

14. Samoan Spider

Taking into account that this is pretty much all that the supermarkets show, it does explain why an awful lot of new IP’s don’t get pushed under customers noses. This is why we’re getting iterative improvements on existing IP’s instead of shiny new things to play with.

15. Lengendaryboss

@12 Let me start off with what you said at the bottom, i never said those games were hardcore (again you just imagining words) i just said they are many ways of approaching them. Back to the top i think the 3DS and Wii U are causal consoles due to the image Nintendo created for themselves, so its difficult for me to see otherwise. If Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate launched on PlayStation, Nintendo and Xbox Platforms it would have been a different story sales wise. Luigi’s Mansion so? i never said games won’t sell on Nintendo hardware they just have to be aimed at a certain audience to determine whether they sell or not. “You shouldn’t waste time arguing with me”. Thats true considering i never forced you to say what you have just said.

16. viralshag

Personally I think it’s a fool’s errand to argue Nintendo isn’t aimed at the casual audience. Even if it has games like MH, that’s still a “core” game on a casual console.

I would never consider the WiiU or the Wii to be a console for the “core” gamer as it lacks so many titles that, as a gamer of many tastes, I would want to play.

And if I’m wrong about that, then like #15 (edit) rightly says, that’s the image I get from Nintendo, games and console alike.

17. locus2k1

is Nintendo eShop included in sale numbers? only ask because I could not find a 3DS copy of MH3U anywhere in a 30 mile radius so ended up paying for the Digital version from the eShop

18. Lengendaryboss

@17 No retail only.

19. Showmeyomoves!

@2 What’s a “casual system”? A system that’s just, like, hanging out, casually? I wish people would stop regurgitating words they heard on the internet.

Also, did any of the PSP MonHun games ever even reach the charts? I’d love to hear your explanation for that one. Perhaps that system was just too “hardcore” and edgy for a Monster Hunter game?

20. Lengendaryboss

@19 Stop being a smart-ass, you know what i mean. What you said at bottom fine, but games like GTA or MGS portable ops sold well on PSP, Resident Evil and GTA on 3DS/DS did not sell well. Sony have their image, like MS and Nintendo have theirs. Like i said above Nintendo’s image is causal, making it to be difficult for me to see otherwise.

21. salarta

Seeing Call of Duty, Skyrim, Resident Evil 6, Sleeping Dogs, Batman: Arkham City and so many others still on this list and as high as they are is a good lesson in remembering that sales placement in the UK doesn’t have anywhere near the worth I often think it does. If games can continue to chart that high after half a year or more, and games like Sleeping Dogs ranking at #40 translates to only making $1-2 million worldwide (maybe), then other games staying toward the top for several weeks isn’t exactly the big deal people make it out to be. It just means the game got marketed out the ass enough to get people to buy it mostly for that reason, looking at the games at the top.

22. DSB

Pfffff, Tomb Raider in second? FAILURE.

According to Square Enix’s projections, it should’ve been at minus five right now, with a 120 on Metacritic.

23. salarta

@22: Keeping in mind that it looks like UK sales chart placement doesn’t mean as much as people think it does, the assumed last count (assuming that’s not what they simply expected to make) was about $3 million in sales worldwide, the game took four years of development, Rhianna Pratchett was hired for the story (which likely cost more than your average writer, both due to talent and name), and of course the completely inescapable marketing campaign that you would have needed to be dead or living in a cave to not run across in one of its infinite number of forms.

Everything in terms of success is relative to the price of its coming about. If all that mattered was the outcome, we wouldn’t have the term Pyrrhic victory.

24. Djoenz

If im not mistaken a while ago the game industry when it comes to retail was poor in the UK or it was declining.

This is in the UK not rest of Europe so Im happy for the games and developers but this doesnt say much about rest of EU etc.

25. DSB

@23 That’s kinda the whole point, though.

If you make your games so expensive that they’re unlikely to ever make it back regardless of a great performance, you kinda get what you pay for.

Square Enix is basically THQ.

26. salarta

@25: Certainly can’t argue against that, most companies are spending obscene amounts of money because of a modern attitude that video games are just interactive Hollywood. Tomb Raider is a perfect example through and through.

I doubt it would’ve received the high number of sales it did without the overly expensive marketing campaign. I’m not even saying that as someone that dislikes the new Tomb Raider, I’m saying it as a general matter of course. Masterpiece games are out there and they get completely passed over because they don’t have insanely expensive marketing campaigns behind them, while complete garbage sells crazy amounts because it’s been hyped up to such an extent that there’s a social perception not buying it means you’re either “missing out” or “not part of the latest social trends.”

27. viralshag

@23, It’s 3 million units sold, not $3 million sales. The game was a “success” just not as successful as Square Enix wanted.

And also, I see the same comments where you sound off about the new TR. I actually think you’re one of the only people I see commenting or know of that think it’s a bad game…

28. salarta

@27: Big mistake on my part, my mind was so sure that the chart said 3.4 million dollars worth of units sold, not simply 3.4 million units. Thanks for correcting me.

I’m not the only person, just one of the more vocal ones. It’s not all that shocking; the majority of people seem to be convinced that the original Lara Croft was a soulless big-boobed bimbo with guns, which pretty much guarantees that just about any reinterpretation of her is a big leap forward in their eyes. That and a lot of people bought it solely for the gameplay and didn’t care one bit about story.

29. viralshag

@28, You really think the new Lara ISN’T a step forward over the old Lara, though? I was a bit unsure about the new Lara while playing the game but by then end of it I’m really hoping for a sequel, I think she was a badass.

30. salarta

@29: I really don’t. Where the character ends up in the end doesn’t matter nearly as much as where she is when she begins, and how she ends up that way is very important too. I’ve said it before: at the base of it, it’s a stereotypical story of a scared, weak, innocent victim turning into a survivor girl. It might be good for a brand new game, but not for a character that was always an icon respected as an equal to men.

Which is opening the floodgates, though unintentionally, of the sexual fetishization of violence against women. This is the first game of any out there where I’ve seen people sharing screencaps of Lara impaled on tree limbs alongside cleavage and pantyshots, as well as fanart and hentai of her dying with arrows in the back, multiple such pieces of her being raped or the aftermath of having been raped, etc. Such content has always existed, but never this much of this sort of Lara, and never have I seen “she got impaled on a tree limb!” treated on the same level of sexual interest as “check out her boobs!” Oh, and wolf style rape. Almost forgot that.

I think a lot of that is explicitly because as an icon, Lara was seen as a strong, respected figure with an indomitable spirit. Until now. Now, she’s seen as a fragile creature to molest and abuse, something that can be dominated and destroyed with power, and a lot of people are finding joy in depicting her fall from grace. Fans of such extreme content used to be a niche where you had to go out of your way looking for sites that specially cater to it in order to find it. Now, it’s creeping into the mainstream. And due to Tomb Raider’s success, I guarantee that every company out there aside from perhaps Bioware is going to treat their women the exact same way in order to cash in, only their efforts will be far less graceful than the new Tomb Raider… but still lapped up in droves.

31. DSB

Indomitable spirit. Are you serious? Try DD’s, hotpants and a pair of semi-automatics.

32. salarta

@31: Thank you for proving my point about the majority of people, their undue hatred and disrespect of the original character and IP, and their subsequent willingness to take anything as progress.

33. viralshag

@30, I never really got the impression of her being a “scared, weak, innocent victim” as from the outset you know she has received certain training from Roth to deal with certain situations. She is inexperienced, that I will give her.

I think you’re making her out to be a lot weaker and fragile than she actually is just to bump up this impression of the old Lara you have. I have to agree with #31 that this idea of old Lara being some sort of major figure of female strength is crazy. Old Lara is pretty much the poster girl for outrageous gaming sex symbols.

You’re entitled to your opinion I just don’t agree with your impression of new or old Lara at all.