Pikmin 3: Miyamoto feels it should have launched alongside Wii U

Monday, 11th March 2013 11:17 GMT By Dave Cook

Pikmin 3 is due sometime in Spring, but producer Shigeru Miyamoto feels that it should have ideally launched alongside the Wii U itself. He’s also said that The Legend of Zelda Wii U is a long way off.

Speaking with Time, Miyamoto explained Pikmin 3′s long development schedule “If you look back at the launch of Wii, we were able to prepare a game like Wii Sports, which at the time was clearly a new game, and launch that alongside a Zelda game.

“With the Wii U, we took a similar approach by launching Nintendo Land as well as a Mario game – though we’re working on Zelda for Wii U, that’s going to take us a little big longer.

“From my perspective, I think ideally it would have been nice if we’d been able to release Pikmin 3 closer to launch, but the Wii U – though it shares the Wii name – is obviously a brand new system, with new chips and graphical capabilities.

“It can do a lot more, and in the process of developing a lot of the features and functionality, the resources required to best utilise those features drew on some of the same resources that might have been spent developing games, thus we weren’t able to bring quite as robust a line-up initially.”

This new technical capability should allow Nintendo to do some neat things with Wii U further down the line, as teased by Miyamoto, “We still have new things to learn about how to leverage the features and functionalities of Wii U in ways that create fun and interesting new ways to play, including new gameplay systems.

“As we become even more familiar with the hardware, we’ll be able to do more from a software standpoint. That’s an area we’re currently devoting resources to.”

Last week, Miyamoto spoke about Pikmin 3 in great detail, and discussed how he hopes the Wii U GamePad will make the game rather special indeed. Check out what he had to say here:

Pikmin 3: Wii U GamePad makes for a deeper experience than the originals, says Miyamoto.

Thanks ONM.

1. OmegaSlayer

I don’t believe WiiU will reach 7 million copies sold before PS4 comes out.
    No way in hell, no matter what game will be released.

Also…

#1 1 year ago
  2. PC_PlayBoy

Sigh, Nintendo should go software only. Then one wouldn’t have to buy their bullshit hardware to play their games. Thank god for emulation.

#2 1 year ago
  3. mistermogul

I feel as though the Wii U should have launched alongside 2010…

#3 1 year ago
  4. Telepathic.Geometry

@Dave: “Miyamoto spook”? 0_@ That conjures up a scary image. ^-^

The timing for Nintendo seems to be very tragic, and I for one don’t intend to buy one if I can resist my Pikmin addiction. BUT! Wait and see, as soon as they release their Pokemon NFC game and release a trailer for HD Zelda and release their proper Mario game, it’ll all turn around.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Dave Cook

@4 ah gawd…Thanks for the spot. I didn’t have any coffee in me when I wrote this ;)

#5 1 year ago
  6. Telepathic.Geometry

No bodder. :)

#6 1 year ago
  7. Cobra951

He’s right, of course. The problem is that being right doesn’t help the problem. The Wii launched with compelling software, and the Wii U did not. Not that Pikmin is all that compelling either. Gotta have the Zeldas and the full-blown Marios.

#7 1 year ago
  8. OlderGamer

If Nintendo doesn’t have their 32G system priced at 250usd or less and at least a couple big games out for the holiday shoping season…better put a fork in them, they will be done.

I think everything boils down to price. Even if the system had Mario Galaxy, Zelda, Pikmin, Metriod and Mario Kart out right now…at the current price, I don’t think it would sell very well.

The landscape has changed, the consumers have changed, the economies have changed. And CONSOLES(not just nintendo ones) don’t have the same throne on top of the mystical mnt that they once did. The only way new consoles will gain relevence is with a very low price point.

Most people will stick with older systems they already own with libaries of cheap games rather then invest in new systems and start over. I believe that is going to be true for PS4 and XBNXT as well.

Unless, ofc, they are at a cheap impulse perchase minded price point.

#8 1 year ago
  9. monkeygourmet

Considering it started off as a Wii game, it def should have been ready for launch, no questions really.

#9 1 year ago
  10. monkeygourmet

@OG

Nintendo will cut when PS4 price is announced I think, similar to 3DS Vs. Vita.

Even though that was a pain in the arse, that agressive price cut and an explosion of games really gave the 3DS a shot in the arm.

#10 1 year ago
  11. DrDamn

@MG
    3DS price cut was long before the Vita’s release wasn’t it?

@OG
    Agree price cut + games is what it needs quite desperately. They seem intent on wasting the year’s advantage they’ve got on the opposition.

#11 1 year ago
  12. monkeygourmet

I think so yeah.

Sorry, should have been more clear. I meant that it really helped the 3DS make the Vita look too expensive.

If Nintendo can get Mario, Mario Kart, etc… out this year, cut the price by about £75, they could make it work still.

I just hope they plan to be aggresive at E3!

Also, nice you can see my comments. I think i’ve been banned from posting at home for some reason. E-Mailed Pat, but no response! :/

#12 1 year ago
  13. OlderGamer

I agree MG, an agressive price cut is needed. I can’t be a 50usd cut. It has to be dramitic. I just don’t think Nintendo will do that. They might drop it 50usd at most. But they need one sku, and it needs to be as close to 200usd as possible. With Nintendoland packed in..

#13 1 year ago
  14. DrDamn

I’d say they need a strong E3 but announcement wise I think they will be drowned out by the other two. What I hope they have is software ready to roll and all the way up to Christmas planned out too. Showing some good Mario 3D, Mario Kart and a new Zelda is not necessarily going to cut it if they aren’t arriving before the PS4/NextBox.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Dragon246

They already squandered the lead which was so effectively used by 360 last gen, I wonder what their plan is right now.
    E3 will be Sony and MS. Nothing will match the juicy details on new next-gen consoles. Unless they have some ace up their sleeves, this seems a difficult journey for them.
    It cant compete with the prices of 360 and ps3.

#15 1 year ago
  16. ManuOtaku

I think nintendo doesnt need to sell as much with the WiiU as they did with the wii, doing a n64 numbers will be good and will keep them safe, but i do believe a price cut should come eventually, with a good stream of games, that will help them a lot, specially on chritsmas time, nintendo in recent times had always sell great numbers on christmas, even with the lackuster last wii year.

And i agree with OG theres a lot of factors that $300+ consoles are a hard thing to sell, for the reasones OG brightly put .

#16 1 year ago