Assassin’s Creed 4′s ‘disgraceful’ whaling criticised by PETA

Tuesday, 5th March 2013 10:32 GMT By Dave Cook

Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag will let players engage in a spot of whaling – that is, hunting down whales with harpoons. Animal rights group PETA has slammed the game for the treatment of our underwater allies.

VentureBeat was issued a statement from PETA on the matter, which read:

“Whaling—that is, shooting whales with harpoons and leaving them to struggle for an hour or more before they die or are hacked apart while they are still alive—may seem like something out of the history books, but this bloody industry still goes on today in the face of international condemnation, and it’s disgraceful for any game to glorify it.

“PETA encourages video game companies to create games that celebrate animals—not games that promote hurting and killing them.”

The group has been using games to get its message across for some time, such as slamming Super Meat Boy, despite the fact he is a human boy whose skin has fallen off – not a boy made of animal meat. Cooking Mama also got them cross.

What do you think of the above?

Thanks MCV.

1. mithrandir

Fortunately, pirating and assassinating people is OK, according to PETA…

#1 1 year ago
  2. FrayJoker

I wonder how PETA feel about Tokyo Jungle?

Anyway, another reason to look forward to ACIV. With some luck they’ll let us conduct cosmetic testing on whales as they slowly die. And then kick a puppy.

#2 1 year ago
  3. heroes159

I seriously lold hard after i saw this

#3 1 year ago
  4. Gekidami

Of course they are, its PETA:

#4 1 year ago
  5. matirishhh

Ive been a Vegeterian for the last 4 years, and I always fight for the animal rights, I’m also a huge gamer. And I personally think PETA sometimes overreact and oversaturate many topics like – mario tanooki suit, BF3 rat section and now whaling…those are games, pure fiction…I’m sure 90% of gamers wouldn’t like to kill a whale for fun…

#5 1 year ago
  6. Wezzulus

Dont really see the point of hunting whales. Just like the hunting in AC3 had no point either. Didn’t do it once.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Moonwalker1982

PETA and their pathetic ways. First it was Mario with the tanooki suit, then Pokemon, and now this? Why didn’t they say anything about RDR? Or the many other games out there that let you kill animals? When GTA V comes out, PETA is gonna go all out on that, believe it. Sigh.

#7 1 year ago
  8. ps4some

Same as @5 I’m a veggie too who even looks after rescued battery chickens but this is a game ffs. This sort of bullshit does animal rights no favours.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Digital Bamboo

PETA can fuck right off. Would they prefer that a game set in that time period denied that whaling even existed, thereby lessening the overall awareness of whaling? Perhaps we should burn all copies of Moby Dick as well? And what is this about the Tanooki suit? Please don’t tell me they were opposed to that on the basis of wearing fur. If that’s the case, then they’re no more than a parody of an animal rights group. Focus your energies on some issues in the real world PETA, it’s pretty evident that you can’t spare the brain cells to focus on two things at once.

#9 1 year ago
  10. xBASSxMONSTAx

Peta Griffin?

#10 1 year ago
  11. MadFlavour

PETA are morons.

As are fans of Assassins Creed.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Max Payne

They didn’t heard about Far Cry 3?

#12 1 year ago
  13. Odisi

What Digital Bamboo said… Whaling was something of a sport of the era that Black Flag is set. So PETA need to stop trying to mummy cuddle the current generation of gamers from the truths of history…

#13 1 year ago
  14. MadFingerz

It’s pretty easy to point a finger at games and diss them because of their virtual portraying of violence towards animals. It’s much harder to actually go out in the real world and stop animal cruelty. PETA should stick with the hard stuff, that’s the only way to make a difference..

#14 1 year ago
  15. OrbitMonkey

Herman Melville had better watch out!

#15 1 year ago
  16. SlayerGT

In their defense, studies that I made up show that whaling in videogames can be linked to causing people to actually go out and whale.

#16 1 year ago
  17. DSB

I thought that said delightful whaling.

Eh, I’m not bothered, I’m just sorry you can’t get any meat out of Assassins Creed 3. Whale is fucking delicious.

#17 1 year ago
  18. nklh4x0r

Right, im sure a lazy-ass gamer will go grab a harpoon and kill fish…
    Its a game you PETA idiots, you’re only throwing pointed sticks at some whale shaped AI… grow up

#18 1 year ago
  19. Lengendaryboss

Shouldn’t they be more concerned about animals getting killed in real life than animals getting killed in a fictional world. If PETA spent more time in reality than in a virtual world maybe less animals will get killed.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Hellhound30x

Wow? Even in video games? give it rest PETA!

#20 1 year ago
  21. nollie4545

Excellent way to absolutely irritate everyone, gamers or animal lovers, at the same time. Should be called PITA.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Edo

Remember people…there is no such thing as bad advertising.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Sadismek

Damn, now Assassin’s Creed IV opened up my whale meat appetite. Where’d I put that harpoon?

On a serious note, PETA is a joke, just take a look at the article @4 linked. Complete waste of oxygen, I swear.

#23 1 year ago
  24. deathm00n

@22 Wow, very good phrase man. Being it stupid or not, they got the attention they wanted. So yeah, it actually is a good advertising.

#24 1 year ago
  25. NeoSquall

Good lord aren’t people stupid at PETA?

That’s what happens when police isn’t allowed to beat some sense in them with their sticks anymore.

#25 1 year ago
  26. TheWulf

I don’t see how this is any different to Far Cry 3 or Skyrim. I’m not for the virtual depiction of violence to animals, but in my case I just don’t buy/play those games. (Or if I can, I mod them. I either create mods myself or wait until mods are available in order to deal with that.)

I realise people like killing things. Nothing I have to say is going to change that, and so long as they keep their killing antics to virtual endeavours rather than hunting down and killing their neighbour’s pets, then… whatever. Better that a person deal with their omnicidal tendencies in a game rather than in real life.

PETA is just going to make a lot of people angry at them with this, and I’m not sure what that’s going to accomplish. Can we attack real whaling instead? I feel that would be a far, far more noble goal.

#26 1 year ago
  27. deathm00n

@26 Not only noble, a far more logical goal. And Skyrim is far worse, you can throw animal off cliffs with shouts and set them on fire waiting them to die. Decorate your house with so many mounted animals heads it’s hard to walk around without banging you head in it. Sleep in your bed made with animal fur.

#27 1 year ago