Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag won’t ignore Desmond

Tuesday, 5th March 2013 22:21 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Former Assassin’s Creed protagonist Desmond has been retired, but Ubisoft has promised to continue the franchise’s meta-story in Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag.

“Desmond has been the main protagonist of the franchise so far. This won’t be the case in [Black Flag],” creative director Jean Guesdon said in an Ubisoft-produced interview.

“That being said [Black Flag] is not a reboot, neither is it a spinoff and we’re continuing to develop a consistent mythology. So yes, Desmond will be referred to as a very important legacy of the AC universe.”

There will still be present-day gameplay sections, but Guesdon retreated into canon to cagily give an idea of what we can expect.

“Abstergo Entertainment is a subset of the Abstergo conglomerate. It’s a division specialised in Entertainment providing historical content for games or movies. Abstergo Entertainment has worked closely with Ubisoft to deliver Assassin’s Creed Liberation the Multiplayer of Assassin’s Creed III,” he noted.

“Abstergo Entertainment is [Black Flag] present playground and players will be immersed like never before in the AC universe. They will become part of the AC universe, able to meet some already known protagonists of the AC franchise.”

Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag is headed to PC, PS3, PS4, Wii U and Xbox 360, and is also expected on the NeXtbox or Xbox 720 or whatever the wretched thing ends up being called.

1. YoungZer0

If it’s spinoff why call it Assassins Creed 4?

2. Brenna Hillier

He says it’s NOT a spinoff.

3. MadFingerz

“Abstergo Entertainment is a subset of the Abstergo conglomerate. It’s a division specialised in Entertainment providing historical content for games or movies(…)”

huh? Oh dear..

4. YoungZer0

Have my eyes deceived me? I could’ve sworn he said it was a spin off. Weird.

5. Wezzulus

Can’t VG247 just make 1 general news post instead of posting about AC4 Black Flag 37 times a day?

6. Dave Cook

@5 no

7. Eddie Rodrigues

Does anyone care about Desmond’s story? He never lived or will live (IF THEY SOMEHOW TRY TO REVIVE HIM… because, you know, games…) to the standards of his ancestors. His father is somewhat more interesting than him though.

8. mkotechno

Wow, is this VG247 or the Assasins Creed RSS? 6 stupid news every day… stop the spam!

9. YoungZer0

@8: See post #6.

10. Brenna Hillier

@5 @8 If I had put it all in one post it would have been enormous, and the headline would have been 100 words long.

I’m trying to get the information out in the most convenient format. If you don’t want to read it, don’t look at it? We already have over 3,000 articles from 2013 alone, I’m sure you can find something in there that you DO care about.

11. Samuel

Really, what is this? Damn this news site for constantly posting news! Only post things I want to see! Ridiculous.

12. Samuel

@7 Yes. Or more accurately, I care about the present day storyline very much. Not necessarily Desmond himself, though I have no problem with him like others seem to. That part of the story once held great potential in my eyes, but I fear it has been derailed by the writers deciding to get rid of Desmond because of players complaining about him. God forbid people suffer through the occasional section that features dialogue and story development and gives the killing a rest for a few minutes.

13. SSSensational

you just used your in-game pseudonym to explain your game either you’re an idiot or a total boss

14. Brenna Hillier

@13 I vote for boss. I love how Ubisoft pretends Abstergo is real.

I … I may have an Abstergo Industries hoodie. It may have come with a letter congratulating me on joining the company.

15. Talkar

So Ubisoft has several time stated how piracy is destroying everything. And now they are making a game about pirates! I can’t wait for the subtle ingame jokes :D

16. MadFingerz

^”I’m so going to pirate this game!” xD

17. YoungZer0

Lawl.

18. Clupula

Personally, it was the present day segments that made me not a fan of Assassin’s Creed. I found all of that incredibly intrusive on what I wanted to actually play. I tried AC2 on PS+ for an hour and I couldn’t wait for all of that Matrix-y shit to just end so I could get to the Renaissance. Even then, there were so many reminders that I was a character PLAYING someone else in a virtual world, that it just killed any sense of immersion I had and I never cared to play any more of the series.

19. majicship

Oh dear, not Desmond. NOT DESMOND!!!!! Wouldn’t it be nice to have a little pirate caper without having to include Desmond. For once.

20. deathm00n

@19 I don’t think Desmond will be in the game, only mentioned, since you know

*AC3 ENDING SPOILERS*

He died in the end of 3.

*SPOILERS*

21. NeoSquall

I wonder what part will

SPOILERS

Juno

/SPOILERS

play in the present world sections of the game.