Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag details emerge ahead of reveal

Wednesday, 27th February 2013 09:39 GMT By Dave Cook

Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag appears to be this year’s follow up to Assassin’s Creed 3. It’s a pirate-themed game that follows Connor’s grandfather Edward Kenway as he explores an 18th century Caribbean.

Ubisoft is holding an Assassin’s Creed event tonight, but it seems that some sources couldn’t keep their beaks shut until the embargo was up.

First, Kotaku posted an image of an Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag poster which, when flipped over, revealed the game’s world map.

You’ll note the location is indeed the Carribean, with locations like Havana, the Cayo Islands and Florida all present. There’s also a new Assassin Brotherhood logo that resembles a skull n’ crossbones.

The poster shows Edward Kenway steering a ship while fending off pirates with a pistol, which stacks up with the testimony of a source, who claims he saw a Ubisoft document that ran down the game’s key points.

The source claims that Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag is due out ‘Holiday 2013′, while a second source stated that the game will focus heavily on naval combat and will come with the tag-line, “Survival is the Only Thing Worth Dying For.”

The game’s trailer is said to feature the music of Johnny Cash and will see Edward Kenway being pursued by officers of the British Royal Navy. We’ll have to wait and see about this one.

An alleged Xbox 360 screenshot has also leaked via Examiner.

Thanks Nicholas Gigante.

What do you make of the above? Is it too soon for another Assassin’s Creed game? Should Ubisoft give it a rest or do you want more?

Thanks Eurogamer.

1. SameeR_Fisher

Not excited one bit, I believe Ubi should have given AC a rest, I am yet to finish ACIII but so far it is awesome, have some problems, but really great IMO -lacking the whole Stealth feeling ACI had though-.

Also Naval Battles were great as a part of a game, not a whole game like this, I am not excited to be a pirate, I thought they may go with Ninjas in Japan which is far more exciting to me.

Anyway this year Ubisoft should have given AC a rest, and instead focused on giving us a remake/reimagine/reboot of Prince of Persia, it would have benefited PoP greatly, while focusing on creating a better AC for next gen in Egypt or Japan.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Ali

Duh… Not really exciting …

Wanted it in Egypt/China …

#2 1 year ago
  3. Yoshi

Looks like this’ll be the first AC game I likely won’t be getting. AC series definitely needed a rest after AC3. I mean come on, at least give us a one year without AC. I’m sure Ubi doesn’t want AC ridiculed like COD is. AC is already doing fantastic in sales so don’t ruin it.

#3 1 year ago
  4. hives

Boring. I need big change of setting to be interested in new AC game.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Moonwalker1982

Honestly getting really tired of this. I recall Ubi saying they would take it more easy after ACIII, but it doesn’t seem to be the case. Feudal Japan would have been great, pirates are gonna look too much like ACIII i’m sure with ship battles and what not. I bet it’s gonna feel exactly the same anyway.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Dave Cook

Really bored of the AC franchise now. AC3 was a car wreck imo. Just a dull game that coddled you at every turn. How it managed to make such a vast open world feel like a corridor is beyond me.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Ekona

I’m a massive AC fan, but the (relatively more) modern setting of AC3 over the others didn’t gel with me at all, and it remains a game that’s very much unloved and unfinished in my collection. I’d rather see older eras in the game, before the age of guns, as that just seems to fit the whole AC theory so much better.

As above, ancient Egypt or Japan or China (great shout that one) would be preferable. I think I’m going to start passing on these games now, which is a real shame.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Dodg3r

AC3 + FarCry 3 = AC4 ?
    Could be awesome, but i also feel that they should have waited a year.

#8 1 year ago
  9. NooB GobliN

I wont pass on a true next gen AssCreed sequel. Even after just a year.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Dragon246

Ubisoft on PirateBay with Assassins Creed? Hmmm… Interesting :)

#10 1 year ago
  11. YoungZer0

That is a lot of Bokeh in one of the pictures.

It’s nice to see that they decided to make a game about the only good thing in AC3, but yeah, fatigue much?

I also think AC’s art-direction needs a major overhaul, like desperately. The whole white sci-fi thing looks so boring and eats way too much performance.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Sadismek

Hmm, I think it’s a wise choice from Ubi to explore other assassins, but I wanted to see more of Connor, really. The most underrated protagonist in the series so far.

They should’ve given a rest to the series though. But I guess that’s what happens when you create something financially successful – you want more, more and more.

#12 1 year ago
  13. SlayerGT

Finally my idea..

#13 1 year ago
  14. NeoSquall

Assassin’s Creed meets Sid Meier’s Pirates?

FUCK ME THIS IS MY WISH GRANTED!!!

Day One here, kthxbye.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Gheritt White

What happened to revolutionary France? Or to Victorian England? Even feudal Japan would have been a superior idea, IMHO

#15 1 year ago
  16. ps4fanboy

@15 feudal japan would be very refreshing

#16 1 year ago
  17. salarta

How disappointing that it’s not Connor. I want to see at the very least one more game with Connor. I certainly hope the decision on who the character would be wasn’t influenced by the people that whined about Connor for being a new and different character from Ezio. It seems too often that people won’t accept a new protagonist for a video game series, but they will be more willing to accept an existing protagonist radically changed out of nowhere and for no good reason to the point where they may as well be a new protagonist.

#17 1 year ago
  18. YoungZer0

I had no problem with Connor being a different character. That was one of the reasons why I was so interested in AC3 in the first place. I really wanted to like him. I didn’t like Ezio’s playboy attitude, thought it was getting annoying really fast.

Yet, he’s still a better character than Connor. Connor is Honey Badger. He doesn’t care. He has no personality. He’s a fucking robot.

(ಥ_ಥ): “Puh, thank you Connor. Not only did you save us, but you gave us a place to stay, a place were we can be free.”

(•_•): “I-DIDN’T-SAVE-YOU. YOU-SAVED-YOURSELF. EVERYBODY-SHOULD-HAVE-THE-RIGHT-TO-LIVE-FREE.”

He never really talks to people, he looks past them and quotes from a book about freedom and stuff. And he NEVER CARES. Remember the scene in the court, where Connor find’s out that the guy who killed his mom is sitting with him in the same room?

Connor gets mad, turns around, wants to do something (I guess), but some dude interferes and tells Connor this isn’t the right place or some shit and Connor is like “kfinebye.”

That’s all it takes? Why should I care, when he clearly does not?

At the end Connor is a tragic character. He lost everything, his people, their freedom, his mentor, his goal. Everything he thought for.

The only thing that stayed was his little pc community.

It’s a tragedy. He should feel lonely, confused and desperate, he should be angry or at least cry a bit. But we get none of it.

It doesn’t help that his voiceactor is monotone as well.

#18 1 year ago
  19. NeoSquall

@18 being orphaned in a tragic way and living as a bit more than an outcast in your own tribe doesn’t make you a whiny bitch.

Ever heard of PTSD? Connor may as well be affected by a mild case, partly mitigated by his time with Achilles and his focus on both the Assassin’s agenda and his own vendetta against his mom’s killers.

#19 1 year ago
  20. salarta

Personality-wise, the impression I got from each protagonist was: Altair is wizened and highly intellectual (I never played the games focused on him but that’s how he came off), Ezio is very social and diplomatic, and Connor is highly moral with strong convictions.

I think that the way people view what makes for a “good” character these days is what led to the majority of undue backlash toward Connor. People are obsessed with the idea of a character being “realistic,” and realism to them seems to mean everything is gritty and everyone suffers, and the protagonist does things that are morally questionable. Connor doesn’t fit that mold; he suffers, but there’s no question of whose morality is right, and I think that’s one of the main causes of people disliking him and liking Ezio more. People seem to actively despise icons and adore seeing them ripped apart these days.

#20 1 year ago
  21. The_Red

What is Ubi doing? I know the sales are high but then you can get a lot of milk from the same cow if you milk it really hard. The thing is that just like that cow, the franchise will dry much sooner than later.

#21 1 year ago
  22. nklh4x0r

Give us freaking ninjas dammit!

#22 1 year ago
  23. mobiugearskin

Connor was a great character, and he does care. Further you get into the game, the more disillusioned he becomes but he never backs down. He shows total conviction. Towards the end, he’s practically foaming at the mouth to kill Charles Lee.

Haythem was the star of the show though.

More AC is always good. And if this is actually a numbered sequel I dont see it as an expansion. Willing to bet that the Naval combat exists in AC3 because it was already being worked on for this.

Makes me laugh when people complain about games being made. Fuck sake… Who is forcing you to play it? Nobody. Who buys AC games? A lot of people. A LOT more than just you.

#23 1 year ago
  24. xino

that picture has to be fan made.

too much blur and boken, pointless in a game unless if it’s a cutscene.

if it’s something like the Killzone SHadow fall during the explosion blast, it would make sense.

#24 1 year ago
  25. miles97

well i guess this makes it real

#25 1 year ago
  26. Edo

@25 That actually looks pretty cool.

#26 1 year ago