Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes will tackle many taboos, may not release in its current state

Friday, 22nd February 2013 15:16 GMT By Nick Akerman

Hideo Kojima has spoken to VG247′s Dave Cook about Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes. It seems the Metal Gear Solid designer is fearful for the series’ next iteration.

The legendary figures believes Ground Zeroes will be his most mature game. He told VG247′s Dave Cook at an event in London today, “I’m going to be treading a lot of taboos, and a lot of mature themes that really are quite risky.

“Honestly, I’m not even sure if I’ll be able to release the game. Even if I did release the game, maybe it wouldn’t sell because it’s all too much. But as a creator I want to take that risk. As a producer it’s my job to try and sell the game, but I’m approaching this project from the point of view as a creator. I’m prioritising creativity over sales.”

Kojima also suggested he wants Metal Gear Rising 2 to happen, but it has to be Platinum Games who develops. “No one else could did it,” said Kojima.

1. Yoshi

With it being more mature I guarantee it’d sell. As long as it’s mature within the MGS universe.

#1 1 year ago
  2. DreamCleaver

Has it started to decompose already? :o

#2 1 year ago
  3. Beta

‘No one else could *do it’ surely? ;)

Wonder what sort of taboos it tackles. Surely this would make it sell more. :S

#3 1 year ago
  4. Greek God

f*** Yeah give me Rising 2 and GZ
    Rising was amazing !

#4 1 year ago
  5. MadFingerz

Bollocks, it simply needs to have MGS on its name to sell well, everyone knows that. And many “messed-up” games have been released over the years, I can’t imagine it being so taboo that it wouldn’t be released. This sounds to me Kojima just being Kojima, with his usual nonsense about how his games are this or that.

@3 I lol’d

#5 1 year ago
  6. osric90

Just don’t release Ground Zeroes (The Phantom Pain, whatever) for the PS4.

#6 1 year ago
  7. YoungZer0

Maybe they finally tackle Snakes tendency to pedophilia?

Judging from the trailer though, the game really does seem to have a more serious tone. Chico sitting in wet mud with a hole in his chest, with a Harvey Dent standing over him saying that “‘she’ didn’t have to suffer long”. So at least one person died already. Good.

I want it to be the complete opposite of MGS4, where everyone lived happily ever after. Don’t do that Fanservice bullshit.

But I doubt he will have the balls to go through with it. It will probably go like this: “HAR, HAR PLOT TWIST, SHE’S ALIVE!”

#7 1 year ago
  8. Bomba Luigi

Well, its a Prequel. You can’t kill now some Gentlemen and Ladies that are Alive in the Later Years in the older Games. So “Everybody Dies” will not happen.

#8 1 year ago
  9. GwynbleiddiuM

Dave did you do a long interview with him? Can I expect a 2000 words featured article? :P

#9 1 year ago
  10. Dave Cook

@9 The full interview is coming Monday, I’m also putting the full quote above now. I’m only just back from London. Loooooong day.

#10 1 year ago
  11. LuminesDragon

O come on kojima don’t be a little girl, sales pail in comparison to making good art.

Rising 2 might be cool hopefully the main game will be around 20 hours or so this time.

#11 1 year ago
  12. GwynbleiddiuM

@10 Thanks Dave appreciate the hard work and looking forward to the article ^^

#12 1 year ago
  13. Espers

Kojima will be testing how democratic will the united states be, if he showcased a point of view in the story of MGS: GZ that would contradicts USA / NATO foreign policy regarding political matters.

If I am not mistaken .. he’s referencing the USA/Europe audience might not be welcoming the game and thus it would affect sales. But hey, it’s gonna be a new experience to see another Defection of a Western hero maybe to Russia, China or Iran.

#13 1 year ago