Kojima on Metal Gear Rising: “I didn’t think we’d have it go this well”

Wednesday, 20th February 2013 13:05 GMT By Dave Cook

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance has surprised series creator Hideo Kojima, shattering his cautious view of collaborations. He revealed that the experience of teaming up with Platinum Games worked perfectly. I can’t blame him, as the game received a string of high review scores yesterday.

Speaking in this week’s issue of Famitsu, Kojima said of Rising’s joint development, “To be honest, I didn’t think we’d have it go this well. When I first asked Platinum Games for help, it was a pretty forced request, in that I felt if I couldn’t get them to take it then the project would be cancelled.

“I’ve worked on collaborative efforts in the past, but they didn’t go well, and that became a sort of trauma for me. Getting real results from this one was a really good case study, I think. MGR wouldn’t have been born if it were us alone, and I don’t think Platinum could have made it by themselves, either.

“In that way, the word ‘collaboration’ doesn’t seem like enough. My impression is that it really was a new style of development. Now we just have to start selling this project, and that’s our role.”

As you can see in my Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance appraisal, I agree with Kojima that it’s an experience that feels both like a Platinum Games joint, and equally like a classic Kojima Productions title. It’s impressive, even if it’s not as deep as Platinum’s opus Bayonetta.

Are you hyped for the game? let us know below.

Thanks Polygon.

1. ShowUsYourLunch

I hope going in to next-gen more developers do stuff like this, if only to cut dev time in half. can’t wait to get my hands on this :)

#1 1 year ago
  2. YoungZer0

I’m gonna be honest here; I had plans to buy this game, but there is simply no way I’m going to spend 60 Euros on a game that last around 4-5 hours. It is too short.

I’ll try to rent it this weekend, but my plans to buy it disappeared.

btw. I heard a lot of stuff about the voiceacting being inconsistent.

#2 1 year ago
  3. LuLshuck

4-5 hours including cut scenes?

#3 1 year ago
  4. YoungZer0

@3: Nope.

#4 1 year ago
  5. MadFingerz

From the trailers I’ve seen the english voice acting does sound a bit meh :/

Is there an option to change to japanese voice acting (with en subs)?

#5 1 year ago
  6. zoopdeloop

@2 Actually it’s a standard MG game length wise.
    It all depends of how you will play it.Going straight through for the action is 4-5 hours including cutscenes.But if you want to collect enemy files,ID’s from soldiers and other titles(all these to acquire some special items) as well as going stealth here and there it will clock between 8-10
    Also play it on hard difficulty from the start.
    On Normal the action gets boring after a while and enemies fall like leafs

I’ve played 3 hours(listened to some codec conversations) and i’m only halfway chapter 2

#6 1 year ago
  7. YoungZer0

@6: We’ll see. I don’t trust Platinum as much as other people do, so I’ll rent it first. I also thought that the last few MGS games weren’t that good. They didn’t have that much weird and fun stuff in it.

There was always something new and interesting to be found in MGS 1, 2 and 3. I think the gameplay in Revengeance doesn’t give you that many options. So I’m cautious.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Clupula

I can’t wait to play this game. It’s being given to me as a late Christmas gift, so I have to wait until Sunday to play it. In the meantime, I’ve been torturing myself with anticipation by listening to the theme of someone (I assume a boss) named Mistral. I hated the music in the demo (probably the only part I did hate about it) but that song is awesome.

#8 1 year ago
  9. FrayJoker

Vanquish was much the same way in terms of length, but I’ve clocked an easy 50 hours just because the gameplay is so much damn fun. There’s no other game I’ve played with quite the same pacing or flow.

Bayonetta was a quite a bit longer, but going back to tougher difficulty levels just made the game feel even more rewarding.

I feel like I’m going to be clocking very similar hours with Anarchy Reigns, especially if I can convince a few friends to dedicate themselves to the multiplayer.

Platinum put out quality, games may be short but they have a certain kinetic and aesthetic that always seems to bring me back for more.

#9 1 year ago
  10. YoungZer0

I am so massively disappointed by the music. It feels as out of place as the art-direction.

There’s some mediocre commerce rock music and the rest seems to be as memorable as the Vanquish soundtrack. I remember they even used some Mexican guitar strings in the cutscene before the boss fight in the demo. What’s up with that? Is the cyborg chainsaw dog from Mexico or what’s going on here?

I was hoping for something more fitting, like techno stuff. Norihiko Hibino always had a very unique touch. So sad to see that they didn’t use him.

Would’ve loved to hear something like this in the game:

Instead we have this:

Which might be fine on its own, but rock music in a videogame about a Cyborg Ninja? So lazy and uninspired. Naw dawg, just naw.

btw. can anyone tell me how many costumes there are? Apart from the DLC ones I mean. Is there more than just the Mexican outfit and the Black Ninja Suit with some red highlights.

@9: Yeah, I don’t share that. I completed Vanquish once and never went back.

#10 1 year ago
  11. MadFingerz

^”Yeah, I don’t share that. I completed Vanquish once and never went back.”

Same here, that’s why I’m really not sure about this game although I much prefer a hack & slash game over a TPS one.

#11 1 year ago
  12. FeaturePreacher

I think the game is a fabulous collaboration. It just shows what happens when you get a developer like P* that respects the fans of a series. And the music is probably the best I’ve ever heard in a video game. It’s so good that I can’t wait to put the soundtrack on my phone. Hopefully Capcom can see how good P* is and let them fix the atrocious mess that was the recent DMC. DMC 5 made by P* would be an instant buy.

#12 1 year ago
  13. stalepie

You can get the soundtrack here:

What song is it that plays during the multi-armed boss here?
    Thanks

A blog entry about the music:

#13 1 year ago
  14. YoungZer0

@12: Yeah, but do us all a favor and don’t play that music in public, unless you want to embarrass yourself.

Respect the Fans? Give me a fucking break. I still remember the outrage after the first trailer by Platinum Games, after people saw how Raiden threw a MGR through the air like it was nothing.

But they calmed down. Seems to be the Fans of MGS are just less entitled brats or the more realistic theory: Hideo already broke MGS. There’s simply nothing you can’t do in the MGS franchise that would destroy it further. It’s a mess beyond repair. There’s nothing to lose.

And there is no way Platinum Games is ever going to make a DMC 5. A. Old DMC is dead. B. Most of the people working there left Capcom for a reason.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Hellhound30x

@14 YoungZer0 “It’s a mess beyond repair?” (MGS franchise.)

I don’t get why you would say that… I mean its not like you created the franchise. Its not like you were some co-director/writer in anything having to do with the MGS universe. MGS is Hideo’s baby. Always has been… always will be. You kinda remind me of the Star wars fans crying over George Lucas making Episodes 1,2,&3….

either way just wanted to say METAL GEAR RISING IS A BEASTLY GAME!!!

#15 1 year ago
  16. YoungZer0

Er, what?

I don’t understand how you’d come to this conclusion.

I said it’s a mess beyond repair because it really is a mess beyond repair. The story had so many twists and turns and fanservice for the depraved that in the end there is nothing holding it together anymore. He can’t fix that anymore.

We had A.I.’s being programmed during the cold war with the personality of a war hero. People hypnotizing themselves so they could believe to be the doppelganger of someone else just to fool the La-Le-Lu-Le-Lo. We had people with powers but not really who were still able to repel rockets with their thought. Vamps who can’t die because of nanomachines. Women who can’t climb choppers on their own. People who get shot mutliple times in their arms and legs, still able to shoot back.

He could announce Metal Gear Solid 5 tomorrow with a younger Snake in the main role and use some kind of Nanomachines explanation and people would eat it up without any problems.

As a fan you had to swallow so much bullshit that he can basically do anything he wants now and it wouldn’t change a damn thing.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Armitage Shanks

@16 Yeah except its not fact,it is just your opinion which you cant resist from posting on any thread Metal Gear related.You dont like MGS anymore,we all get it believe me….move on.

#17 1 year ago
  18. YoungZer0

Of course it’s a fact, how can you even argue about that? You must care little about a games story if you can eat up all that bullshit without even asking questions.

Because this is where all the games fall apart. The moment you question something, you won’t be able to stop and then you’ll see just how big the mess is he created.

#18 1 year ago
  19. MadFingerz

I agree with Zero here and all that nonsense was almost entirely brought in by MGS4 alone, which is why it is my least favorite from the series. I mean, the game still has some awesome parts but the whole “nanomachines explain everything!” bullshit is just…ugh.

I wish I was one of you that likes the story, but I am not, so yeah…It would be best if for the next games Hideo just used the MGS formula but with a different story that was entirely thought up from the start. Or telling us how the MGS story would be without nanomachines. That would work for me, I guess.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Hellhound30x

@#18 YoungZer0, “I’m not ‘crying’ because it is a mess. I’m stating a fact. I’m not sad or mad about it either. I’m not emotionally invested in this franchise, because of reasons stated above. He pulled way too much bullshit.”
    Oh… you mean Japanese story telling then??

I’m not ‘hating’ on you because of your’e opinion, I’m simply pointing out that its not your creation. Kojima’s vision of MGS is what it is… did he write himself into a corner in many instances? Sure he did… did he use “nano machines” as a scapegoat? Yep. In the end its his story to tell. You call it a “mess.” I call it Kojima’s opus!

Now if you’re looking for a certain type of ‘realism’ then go with Splinter Cell…

#20 1 year ago
  21. Clupula

The only game in the franchise that I think is a mess is MGS2. MGS4 has a couple questionable “let’s throw some unnecessary scientific explanations for everything” parts too, but most of those are Ryan Peyton’s influence. Peace Walker’s story made up for the things I was questioning about MGS4 and MGS4 made up for MGS2. In fact, I usually encourage people to play them in chronological order, instead of release order, since the story makes much more sense when you play it that way. MGS2 is not as awful if you know all the things that Peace Walker and MGS3 have in them.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Hex

@14 “Yeah, but do us all a favor and don’t play that music in public, unless you want to embarrass yourself.”

Really? How pathetic do you have to be to think that playing a particular music in public will be an embarrassment, for the sole reason of it being intended to be background music for a game. Such a bland and dry mind, but then what would you expect from a creature that thinks of its opinions as logical conclusions and facts.

#22 1 year ago