Beyond: Two Souls is in beta, release date announce incoming

Thursday, 7th February 2013 15:03 GMT By Dave Cook

Beyond: Two Souls writer David Cage has confirmed that Quantic Dreams’ incoming title is in beta and that a release date will be announced soon.

Speaking with IGN, Cage said just that, “Beyond is almost in beta. It will come out this year and the release date will be announced soon.”

Cage also shared his thought on rumours that PS4 will block the use of pre-owned titles, “On one hand, I understand consumer’s position. Games are expensive. When they buy something they want to be able to trade it, most of the time to buy more games. I can understand that point.

“On the other side, I understand the point of the industry. Each time you buy a used game, this is money that doesn’t go into the pocket of the people that took the risk to create this, to finance it, to develop it. This is also unfair.

“So I don’t know what is the right answer. I don’t know if making this impossible [to play used games] is the answer. Maybe it is, maybe it’s not. Maybe it’s more about explaining and about telling people who really love games that if they buy used games, there will be a day where there won’t be any new games at all.”

Are you excited for Beyond: Two Souls? I interviewed David Cage last year and we talked about the project in great detail. Check out what he had to say here.

1. jorooo

Incoming means: 20 feb.

#1 1 year ago
  2. manamana

“Maybe it’s more about explaining and about telling people who really love games that if they buy used games, there will be a day where there won’t be any new games at all.”

I wonder if its a hint that the block of pre-owned games really is imminent.

#2 1 year ago
  3. death_489

Im with Cage on most of his talk. He is defending what he created. People buy zombie games more then 10 times. But they don’t buy the games that doing new things. People really need to evolve there thinking on gaming . gaming could be better then movies because you controle everything and you get a story with it ..

About used games. He is being reasonable. No one can change buying new and used .. it’s been there for hundreds of years so why change it now ?. If they blocked used games people will stop buying games or they will buy less games. many many people buy used games . they will even stop buying consoles . they cant spend 60$ for each game when they already bought the console for more then 300$ . it’s hard ..

#3 1 year ago
  4. ArcticMonkey

First off, I don’t agree at all with blocking used games. If I think enough of your product that I wind up purchasing it full price on day one I deserve the respect of being allowed to let a friend borrow my game. Or someone in the same household with the same system, for that matter…

Two points though, Consoles are moving to a PC model of operations, in terms of day one digital distribution. Video game companies are looking to phase out physical media and shops like Gamestop to cut manufacturing costs as well as the middleman. PC gamers have gotten used to games disappearing from shelves and not being allowed to trade games, is it an inevitable fate for console users?

And my separate BEYOND concern. I’m looking forward to BEYOND, because despite it’s flaws I loved Heavy Rain, but part of the reason HR was so powerful was because you could fail. If you weren’t careful the characters you controlled could die, that tension was the reason I loved that game so much. BEYOND is relying on the story, I’m worried it won’t hold up, but I’m willing to take a $60 chance on that

#4 1 year ago
  5. deathm00n

@3 But people are like this: “Another zombie game, how boring! I will buy it to see if it’s good still.” “Heavy Rain is shit, QTEs are EVIILL! Let’s go back to the non sense zombie slaughter!”

#5 1 year ago
  6. Agt_Pendergast

I thought that Heavy Rain was a nice try at something different, though ultimately I didn’t care for it. I am interested to see if David Cage improved his techniques in Beyond.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Francis O

@5, I agree, Heavy Rain is just one big quick time event. And there not even the best quick time events in the industry. Cage should just make movies or something. I want real games, not a bunch of quick time events wrapped around a story.

#7 1 year ago