Homefront 2 release may slip after THQ sale, Crytek revealing details “soon”

Monday, 28th January 2013 15:45 GMT By Dave Cook

Homefront 2 developer Crytek has discussed the nature of the IP’s purchase from THQ with VG247. General manager, games Nick Button-Brown has discussed the impact of Homefront 2′s sale and Crytek’s working relationship with the former license holder.

Originally pegged for a 2015 release, Homefront 2′s launch window may slip due to the THQ sale, but Button-Brown assured us that the game’s development will not be affected in any other way.

“Crytek’s focus is fairly similar to THQ’s -namely to make the best game possible,” he explained, “so this will not have too much impact on the development itself. However, we might change the release date that we haven’t announced, and move this to another release date we won’t announce yet either.”

On how it felt to be the new owners of the Homefront IP, Button-Brown added, “The main reason we wanted to purchase the IP was because the game is coming along so well. The team in Crytek UK has put their heart and soul into the game, and the progress is great – [our] last milestone was excellent.

“The worst case scenario for us was that this situation meant that all that work just ended up being thrown into the bin, so we wanted to buy the IP to make sure the team can finish off the game they wish to make. But we always have and will believe in the potential of the IP. This is why we agreed to work on it in the first place, so it’s now beneficial for us to have control over the IP’s destiny.”

I then asked Button-Brown when we could expect more news on Homefront 2, and he didn’t hold back too much in his reply, “Soon… Currently we are trying to get all the paperwork closed on this, but we would like to be a little more open, than if we were working with a publisher.

“Also, right now, we are talking about how we should and would like to work with the community and we will try to let everyone know what we are doing, as soon as we can.”

In closing Button-Brown wanted to share his condolences for THQ following its sale, “Our experience with them was really good. They were a good partner and through to the end they always treated us with respect and honesty. We are very sorry to see them go and really feel for our friends on the THQ side who are now out of a job.”

So it seems we won’t have too long to wait for an update on Homefront 2. Are you excited or keen to see what Crytek UK has done with the IP? Let us know below.

1. DSB

If it was coming along well, then why not rebrand it and make it something new?

Homefront isn’t a hot property for obvious reasons. It reminds me of Sleeping Dogs. It obviously benefitted from losing the terrible True Crime label.

Why stick with it if you can get rid of it? I don’t get it.

2. Edo

@1 Game sold more than 2.6 million copies(around 3 million)…do you get it now :) ?

3. Ercarret

Announcing a delay when you haven’t even announced a release date (or even release window) seems like a strange thing to do.

I’m interested to see what the UK branch of Crytek can do. They’re former Free Radical Designs, aren’t they? Of Haze and Timesplitter fame? I’ve never played anything they’ve done, but I’ve heard good things (except for Haze). I also quite liked Homefront from a conceptual standpoint, if not the actual game. I think a sequel, done right, could be really good.

4. DSB

@2 I’m no friend to mega-publishers, but are they really so mindnumbingly cynical?

2.6 million for a game that was supposed to tangle with Battlefield and Call of Duty. THQ were so disappointed with it that they killed the studio.

I viewed it as part of the death struggle when they decided to stick with it. Better to double down on mediocrity than spend a pile of cash trying to develop something new.

5. Maximum Payne

I just hope we get some freedom in levels.That’s all.

6. lexph3re

I am still trying to bring myself to play the 1st game seriously. The beginning is SSSOOOOO boring.

7. Sadismek

@6 Hah, me too, but I can’t convince myself to buy it :D. I’ve heard so many bad things about it.

Looks like I still have time ’till 2015.

8. viralshag

I’ve owned the first one on PC since some long-ago Steam sale and I haven’t brought myself to playing it yet…

9. theevilaires

Lex I’m right there with you. This game looked like a PS2 game. I recommended it to Reask and he hasn’t spoken to me since he played it :D

10. lexph3re

lmao

11. Edo

@4 Almost 3 million copies sold for a new IP is a respectable number(to put it mildly).If they indeed were expecting more than that then that’s just crazy.

12. theevilaires

All the advertising they put out on the game plus I don’t think it was a full $60 release of course people are going to be suckered to buy it. Luckily I got a chance to rent it before Blockbuster shut down. I’ll pick it up for $5 one day to finish getting my platinum.

13. viralshag

I would never have bought this full price…

14. DSB

@11 I think that depends on what you put into it. I’m assuming they didn’t kill Kaos Studios because they were too impressed to let them live.

You could put just about anything into a shooter and it would still sell, I think Homefront is case in point of that.

Medal of Honor was mediocre as well, and that sold 5 million.

Of course that’s down to what… 300.000 with the sequel? I just don’t think it’s a very smart bet.

15. lexph3re

lol I actually got it for 5 bucks from one of the used game stores over here.

One thing I can say about part 2 though is. If crytek finishes/converts it to its engine. It will be just as pretty as Crysis 2 and even more boring than before.

16. freedoms_stain

Do these numbers include sales of bargain THQ bundles over the last few months?

17. SameeR_Fisher

@DSB: MoH2010 sold that cause it had history, it is a long running franchise, but as you said with Warfighter it sucked, even though the MP was way bigger, but people didn’t like what they got first time around or didn’t like how Warfighter was shaping, I am one of the later group.

I will disagree on Homefront though, again I didn’t play the game, I was so interested, till I heard it is 6hrs long, I am a heavy SP guy, so story and length to me comes before anything, I will get Homefront if Homefront 2 is looking good, I will play it just before Homefront 2 hits, and to be honest I am not into any FPS, so maybe I can find one to hang around now, the plot got so much potential, it would be a waste to change it, unless you are talking about just the name, which I find rather not important, since then it will be a like a totally new IP which is bound to be less well received.

18. Edo

@14 The sole reason Medal of Honor sold that well is the name it carried ,and as you pointed out people came to their senses,hence the sequel’s sales numbers…I wish people would come to their senses more often, especially when it comes to first-person shooters.

19. theevilaires

so wait is THQ done for good or are they selling all their crap and starting from scratch again?

20. lexph3re

I believe done for good

21. theevilaires

Oh wow…..Oh well I hated them for jumping on the online pass train anyway. They did have a few good games but they screwed themselves. And those damn WWF games sucked after SHUT Your Mouth on PS2.

22. DSB

@18 I agree, but if the name couldn’t save it the second time, what chance does Homefront have?

Obviously that’s up to Crytek, but on the face of it, it just looks loopy to me.

@21 I think you might like this:

23. Edo

@22 Of course,in the end,it all comes down to Crytek’s expectations,but if you ask me…there isn’t going to be Homefront 3.