Planescape: Torment designer hints at follow up

Sunday, 2nd December 2012 22:40 GMT By Brenna Hillier

One of the designers of Planescape: Torment has hinted that a follow-up may be on the way, just as word arrives that inXile holds a related trademark.

While not as well-recognised as lead designer Chris Avellone, now of Obsidian Entertainment, Colin McComb was one of the most central of seven additional general designers at Black Isle Studios who worked on the critically-lauded RPG. In a new blog post, the developer said he’d finished his assigned tasks on Wasteland 2 and was looking at what to do next.

McComb, one of the writers of the AD&D Planescape setting, said he looks on Planescape: Torment as one of three major career highlights.

“Of all the games I’ve written, the one that I keep circling back to is Torment. And now that the bulk of my work on Wasteland 2 is largely complete (with some iteration work that still needs to be done), I can start thinking about Torment seriously,” he said.

While not making any promises, McComb described his ideas for creating a new Torment game – asking a central philosophical question, re-examining the Planescape setting, using a different RPG system.

“My primary goal would be to help the player tell a story that was evocative of the original Torment without aping it. To be faithful to the odyssey of the Nameless One, and to recognize that it has ended, and that stories of Torment are ongoing,” he said.

McComb’s musing may be just that, but there is some evidence that inXile is seriously considering the idea. RPGCodex turned up a trademark for Torment made by the same company that filed inXile’s casual games trademarks – a company at which inXile boss Brian Fargo plays a key role.

Unfortunately, inXile doesn’t have the rights to the Planescape setting, and McComb told RPG Codex readers that Wizards of the Coast isn’t interested in licensing it.

“I first approached them in February, and it became clear early on that they didn’t seem very interested in talking to me. That’s okay, though. Other, equally cool options exist,” he added, again suggesting this is something inXile may be actively pursuing.

Discussing the potential project with fans, McComb said neither he nor Avellone is interested in a direct sequel so much as a spiritual successor, but confirmed that he does indeed want to make a Torment game, saying he hopes fans will come to trust that he can do it without the Planescape setting.

Lead designer Avellone has said in the past that he’s interested in a Planescape: Torment sequel, and collaborated with inXile Entertainment on Wasteland 2.

Thanks, Evil Avatar.

1. absolutezero

pls no.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Erthazus

Please YES!

#2 1 year ago
  3. Ercarret

McComb isn’t really an “InXile staffer”, is he? I’m not sure but I thought he was freelance, mostly writing books, and helping InXile on Wasteland 2 in much the same way as Avellone does; being outside help.

If someone were to do a spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment, I would bet it to be Obsidian. With the help of McComb, perhaps. InXile’s connection to the game is much weaker. There certainly is one, but considering that Obsidian basically is Black Isle Studios I would say that a Torment game by anyone other than them would feel very strange.

That said, there seem to be enough ties between InXile and Obsidian to not make this a problem; a collaboration of some sort does certainly not seem impossible.

*edit*

Oh, and I’m on Erthazus’ side here: Yes please! As long as they do a spiritual successor and not a direct sequel, I’m all for it.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Hunam

I’d be happy for another Planescape game, but I’d never, ever want a sequel that continued the story.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Brenna Hillier

@3 good point, I’ll clarify

#5 1 year ago
  6. Sherif Saed

Also, worth mentioning that Wizards of The Coast
    own the rights to the name.

#6 1 year ago
  7. hitnrun

@4 +1.

Stop the nostalgia madness.

#7 1 year ago
  8. absolutezero

Nothing that anyone remotely associated with this has recently produced has been anywhere near the level of quality that Planescape Torment brings to mind.

It would be modern. It would be terrible.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Ercarret

@8: I would argue that both KOTOR2 and NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer are good examples of Obsidian producing really amazing stuff. I also really, really liked some of the RPG systems in both Alpha Protocol and New Vegas, although they were hardly in the “Torment tradition”.

Dungeon Siege 3 was weirdly un-Obsidian-y, though.

#9 1 year ago
  10. roadkill

@9 KOTOR2 and NWN2? That’s what you consider amazing stuff!? Hehe.. :) I must agree with absolutezero on this one. If Obsidian tries to do it it will fail. KOTOR2 and NWN2 were half-decent because Bioware kept an eye on those idiots. With Alpha Protocol there was no one to stop the stupidity anymore and look where that got them. I would argue that such a company should still function in these times but seeing as Activision developers are still around while Take 2 developers might shut down…

#10 1 year ago
  11. YoungZer0

@10: You’re full of shit. Bioware wasn’t involved in either KotOR 2 or NWN2. You know, i could use the same argument: What happens if you let Bioware loose? DRAGON AGE 2! HO HO HAR HAR!

Obsidian has shown time and time again that they have the superior writers. What they need are better artists and programmers. Though one could argue that the limited time they always seem to get has something to do with their games being more bug-infested.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Ercarret

@10: They are what I consider amazing storytelling, which was the main quality of Planescape: Torment. The original NWN2 campaign was pretty generic “Save the world, oh, Chosen One!” stuff but the Mask of the Betrayer expansion was, yeah, amazing. When it comes to writing it’s (in my eyes) a definite highlight among the RPGs since Torment. Loved it. It was also a lot more stable than the main game, making for a great experience overall. :D

KOTOR2 was unfortunately a horrible broken mess, but again, when it comes to writing, it was fantastic. For about 80% of the game; until everything fell apart at the end. That was bad. It’s the worst ending I’ve ever experienced, which sucks since I absolutely adored it up until those last 20 % of the game.

Oh well.

#12 1 year ago
  13. absolutezero

It was’nt only just Obsidian either, it was InXile who to date have produced fuck all of note.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Ercarret

@13: That I agree with. I haven’t played anything they’ve done and looking at their résumé, I’m not very interested in doing so either. Which is why I’d rather see the game done at Obsidian, if at all. :)

#14 1 year ago