Mass Effect 3: Retaliation – The Collectors return in free MP DLC

Thursday, 4th October 2012 17:26 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Mass Effect 3: Retaliation, a multiplayer expansion pack, will be released next week for free.

Noted as the biggest expansion to date by BioWare, in Retaliation, The Collectors have returned as a new enemy in multiplayer matches.

Players will face off against the Collector Praetorian, Scion, Abomination, Trooper, and Captain. Cerberus has enlisted the Dragoon to their ranks and the Geth are deploying new Drones to the battlefield.

A host of new characters such as the Turian Havoc Soldier, Turian Ghost Infiltrator, more are being added on a regular basis across six maps, featuring new environmental hazards and traps.

A regular rotation of Firebases will be introduced to different hazards as they come under attack. Players will have to “survive the onslaught” of Acid, Lightening, Meltdowns, Sandstorms, Swarms and Whiteouts, as well as deadly new weapons: the Collector Assault Rifle, Sub-Machine Gun, and Sniper Rifle.

These weapons and new equipment can be unlocked.

A new “Challenges” database in Retaliation will also be available, where players can keep track of completed multiplayer assignments and “feats of strength”, which will unlock titles and banners to display in-game.

Mass Effect 3: Retaliation launches October 9.

1. Hcw87

I love the support this game is getting. And it’s freaking free. 6 maps. FREE.

2. Night Hunter

Well, the Multiplayer of this game is practically shitting money with all the Spectre Packs they are selling, they have to make sure people continue playing …

3. Phoenixblight

Do you have evidence of SPectre packs selling or is that your own bias saying that?

4. Coheno

You can buy all the Packs with real life money, so they don’t want the expansions to cost also. Just the model they chose.
    I would like to know how well it’s working out? I imagine quite well since they are making this many expansions…

5. IrrationalGamer

Personally I think it’s great that developers are looking for long-term ways to support multi-player games while at the same time having the incentive to do so because they’re being monetarily compensated. On the whole I am averse to people being able to pay to be better at a game (in this case, Spectre packs). However, this being a coop experience and not competitive, I don’t think it really matters.

The most important thing is that developers prevent the segmentation of multiplayer, which happens when companies sell map packs. Then gamers find that their newly bought map pack isn’t being used because not enough others have it. It’s not always the case, but it’s just generally better for everyone to have every single map so that they can play together (less waiting times etc.)

6. NeoSquall

@2 All my few Premium Spectre Packs have been paid in in-game credits ONLY.
    I have never ever purchased anything with BioWare Points, neither any Dragon Age or Mass Effect DLC, so your point is invalid.

7. Night Hunter

@6: Well, someone is paying for them …

@3:

You can see it under Top 5 U.S. PSN Add-Ons. I could search for more, I just noticed this a few months ago and saved the links. If you factor in that ME3 wasn’t the biggest seller (compared to other, bigger franchises) and Multiplayer is new to the series I’d say that qualifies.

8. Coheno

Anywho, sales aside, I’m really really looking forward to this! Have been playing this MP quite a lot lately.

9. roadkill

@2 Of course. It’s common sense! And I’m not complaining. ;)