Resident Evil 6 producer likens fans and its developers to “parents”

Tuesday, 2nd October 2012 20:19 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Resident Evil fans are some of the most vocal in the gaming sphere, a fact which isn’t lost on Resident Evil 6 producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi.

Speaking with the PS Blog, Kobayashi compared the series to a child born of parents representing the fans and the developments – parents which aren’t always going to see eye-to-eye when it comes to raising their young.

“The way I always think of it is that if Resident Evil represents a child, then the fans and us as creators are the two parents,” said Kobayashi. “The resulting games are like the children that are born between both of us. And just like real parents, you’re not always going to agree on what is best for raising that child.

“Now, we do always have our ear to the ground and listen to what the fans are saying and we try to take that into account when we’re making the game. But it’s our job to create a new gaming experience and to offer them something that’s fresh and challenging.

“We want to make sure that what we do pleases them but the initial reaction might not always be positive.’

While the team behind Resident Evil listens to the fanbase, Kobayashi said the developers can’t be “beholden to them at every turn”, otherwise, progress “in terms of the series’ development,” would never be made.

1. naffgeek

If that is the case I want a divorce and I am not going to fight for custody.

Going to look up Resi 4 and see if it wants to get back together.

2. Stephany Nunneley

@1 – :D :D

3. Phoenixblight

If the fans and the capcom are the parents and the games are the “children”. That would be wrong.

ALso btw the interviewee didn’t says the parents were married in this case they are already separated and attempting to raise their kid(s) in their own way.

4. sh4dow

Seems like that child got a severe spanking from one parent:

RE6 on Metacritic

5. osric90

I wonder how many played the freakin’ game. I know I did and I loved it. Still milking the huge replay value. Extra fun with my drunk friend as Piers.

6. Clupula

@5 – He speaks in logic… WITCH! HE IS BEWITCHED! BURN HIM! BURN HIM!

7. GwynbleiddiuM

Seems like these children aren’t mine, I don’t recognize half of these bastards.

@5 Is it a lot like 4 and 5 in terms of gameplay? does it have a lot of quick time events? So why would I wanna play that? There’s Borderlands 2 that keeps me and my brother busy, busy enough that I haven’t logged to WoW to gear up for up coming raids for 2 days.

I’m not trying to compare, I’m saying I play games to be entertained not arsed with mechanics and feature that aren’t good for this genre (what genre? it isn’t a horror anymore).

8. Kuwabara

i’m going to co op this game with my girl, and hopefully it’s enjoyable. But i think people are fed up. We have enough action games and we have been waiting nearly 10 years for a decent horror game. Is it really that hard to make a horror game capcom? or maybe all they care about is money and want to cash in on the modern warfare action like games. It’s a shame the creator of re6 said the game was influenced by modern warfare. If they are so afraid of making a conventional survival horror game, because they fear it wont sell, they should open up a account where fans can donate money to fund the game that we all want.. seeing how capcom will never make it from their own money..