Black Ops 2 prestige “is not a start over system”

Friday, 28th September 2012 17:04 GMT By Nick Akerman

Treyarch design director David Vonderhaar took to the Eurogamer Expo stage this afternoon. He spoke about the prestige system in Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, and how the studio is differentiating it from the rest.

Vonderhaar entered the staged by mocking previous prestige styles.

“Congratulations. Here’s a new icon. Repeat the entire game. What? What?”

“This is a very simple example of how we are damned if we do and damned if we do not. Looking back at these mechanics, play 55 levels, hit a button, get a new rank icon, start over,” he said.

“I’ve been thinking about it non-stop, about how to get people to prestige. We kept going about it the wrong way. We kept saying, here are some more rewards if you do it. Here is this extra stuff if you decide to hit the prestige button.”

“Then I looked at a graph of the people who play and what happens to them when they hit level 55 or whatever the max level is, and how they drop off, and how few people actually go to max prestige. I know they could go to max prestige because their time play suggests they could have. I have this data. I know this for a fact.”

“They just stopped levelling. Maybe it’s because we keep taking away everything. Maybe. Maybe that’s the reason.”

He continued by discussing the changes to Black Ops 2.

“In Black Ops 2 prestige is not a start over system. When you prestige in Black Ops 2 it will not reset your weapon levelling. If you are level four on a gun you will still be level four when you cycle back around to that gun. Same with all your cosmetics, any camo you’ve unlocked or emblem, all the personalisation, all the fancy backgrounds you managed to achieve, all of that will still be there.”

Hooray! Finally! Will this make you prestige more often? Let us know.

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. TheOutcastWolf

Hmmmmm… Prestige never actually interested me and I left CoD because there wasn’t much point playing it, but Black Ops is actually addicting so I hope this game do it again by improving the Prestige system…

2. YourMessageHere

This is a great removal of some of the reasons not to prestige (note: how about not making us unlock everything again as well?). Now all I need is for someone to provide some positive reasons to actually do it.

Ranking up isn’t fun. It’s a necessity to get to the content I bought. I play CoD because the actual gameplay, the second-to-second shooting, is really good. I’m not in it to make numbers increase, and I can’t understand why people like the whole unlocking business. Dangling the prospect of taking away almost all the stuff I’ve worked to acquire in front of me when I hit the top is a threat, not an attraction.

The reasons to prestige had better be damn good ones. The only reason I prestiged once in Black Ops was for the extra class; doing it twice more for another one was totally not worth it. In MW3 there was never any chance I would bother, because an extra class wasn’t needed. It was worth doing once in Black Ops because it had no intermissions for map-specific equipment tweaks – the only good thing about the IW MP system.

3. G1GAHURTZ

‘Prestiging’ (new word) isn’t a gameplay experience.

It’s exactly what it says. It’s for the ‘prestige’. There’s no reason to do it at all, other than for the badge.

It really is that simple.

Originally, there were only 55 ranks in CoD4, and that was it. Then to their apparent surprise, IW found that people were hitting level 55 within days, so the levelling up system effectively became worthless at that point.

IIRC, it was then that they added one Prestige Mode that eventually became 10.

So this isn’t something that was initially designed into the game. This was something that was fan driven, because people wanted more.

Anyway, the whole reason for it is really is just the badge. You’d be surprised what people are willing to do for it.

I constantly get messages about 10th/20th prestige lobby games (hacked lobbies). Some people charge gamerpoints for doing it.

I don’t see any point in that, because it just makes you look even worse, when you’re ‘top prestige’ with everything unlocked, and a fake k/d, but you keep getting pwnd in real games.

I prestige as a way of competing with other people in my clan. I don’t think that this new system will change if I decide to do it or not.

4. Dugstar1

Prestiging normally kills any sort of progression for me with COD.. a new emblem doesn’t really cut it for me.

Hopefully they get this outing right in regards to progression and Netcode as well as balance.

5. Lounds

MW2 was the best version of COD MP imo.

6. jefeperro

What about when you prestige your weapon?
    I’ve maxed out a few weapons.
    It says you lose all progress with your gun.
    I know the attachments become locked, but do I have to unlock the camo again as well?

7. raq1127

A great way to get ppl to prestige would be to offer different weapons available to u depending on your prestige status, on top of the things their already doing. I kno im one of many who feel this way….a supped up mp40,stg-44 from world@war; and ak-47 & commando from black ops would b a great start…..

8. who5nxt

So do your perks reset , or are they untouched as well. I usually continue to prestige but considering how some of the works I like unlock at higher levels I may not do it anymore. If I keep them then I’ll prestige. I liked in in mw3 where you’d get a token and could unlock your perks or guns that unlocked at higher levels. Btw black ops 2 is in my opinion the best of the call if duty series to date!!

9. Dave Cook

@8 your perks reset yeah, but perks arent that powerful any more, gun attachments make more of a difference I’d say.

10. polygem

i prestiged 2 or three times in blops, then stopped. didn´t make sense to me anymore and i liked the badge;)

i just (finally) ordered blops 2 and cannot wait. really enjoyed the first one. blops 1 was also my fave cod mp after 4…never got into mw2 or 3 that much, mw2 i played for a good while. 3 i just checked out, found the maps and all lazy, didn´t even touch the campaign. blops 2 got me excited again. hope i will enjoy it.

11. who5nxt

Black ops 2 is awesome. I was disappointed in MW3 cause it felt to much like MW2. Black ops is where it’s at. As far as perks I disagree some. One of my all time favorite perks is ghost and you don’t get tht until level 55 which is the last leek before you get the prestige option. Gun upgrades are great an Ive already prestige a my gun twice. Perks are pretty important and help you stay alive as well. I’ve done pretty well so far without it, but think that with it you can be even better. If you prestige an lose it, I will not prestige, cause no medal is really even worth it in my opinion.