Alpha Protocol 2 ‘isn’t up to us’, Kickstarter not an option – Obsidian

Friday, 21st September 2012 08:51 GMT By Dave Cook

Alpha Protocol 2 isn’t going to be happening any time soon, Obsidian Entertainment’s Chris Avellone has told VG247. Despite calls from the community for a Kickstarter project, the creative director says the decision isn’t his to make.

Obsidian recently funded Project Eternity on Kickstarter, a game that looks to return to the roots of classic RPG games. It’s a new IP, but as Avellone explained, while new IP is fine for crowd sourcing, established IP is a different story.

“I’ve tried to let people know that Kickstarter isn’t the place for funding someone else’s franchise,” Avellone said, “Sega owns Alpha Protocol, for example, Dungeons and Dragons is Hasbro. That’s a different kettle of fish.”

“We’d love to do sequels to these games that we’ve worked on, but that’s often not up to us, and it’s not something we could do through Kickstarter, really, or I couldn’t see how they might be done.”

You can check out out full Project Eternity Interview today, and head over to the Project Eternity Kickstarter to check out Obsidian’s ambitious project.

1. viralshag

I would fund/buy a new AP game.

2. Joe Musashi

Alpha Protocol is probably my guiltiest pleasure of this generation. Really really fun and has some great ideas in it – particularly the way dialogue and character relationships work (and have a tangible impact on events later in the game).

I know it got raked over the coals on release and some of the execution is a bit ropey, but this game truly delivers. It’s one of the few games genuinely worth playing more than once too.

Also: Stephen Heck.

JM

3. Da Man

^I was about to be surprised at that, but then noticed who made the post :(

An AP2 Kickstarter from Obsidian would be about as funny as a Daikatana one.

4. absolutezero

I’d be more likely to fund Diakatana to be honest.

I’ll say it again, if Alpha Protocol was kept exactly the same as it is now but it was created by any other team other than Obsidian it would have far less people trying to pretend its any good.

Imagine if it developed by Cyanide say, it would be rubbish and generally mocked to death. Thats what it deserves. Kinda like what happened to Hunted : The Demon Forge.

If Hunted was an Obsidian game it would be a diamond in the rough, a hidden gem.

5. ManuOtaku

I am with the guys did like Alpha Protocol, for me it was mass effect set in the spy world, it did also have some rough edges like the first mass effect, but it got more backlash for this than mass effect, which i found baffling to say the lease, i really did like the game a lot and i hope they can make a second one.

6. TheWulf

If it had been created by any other team, it would have been killed at the concept stages. The thing about Alpha Protocol is that it’s actually good. And as much as I hate binary, I’ve been noticing there are two kinds of people on VG24/7, who operate on a scale.

Group A: “A well polished, almost ‘perfect’ experience, where everything you can do has been defined by the developers with no wiggle room outside of that is more important than true ingenuity, creativity, imagination, and ambition. Knowing exactly what’s int he next game you’re going to play is fun!”

Group B: “Ingenuity, creativity, imagination, and ambition are more important than polish. if you fetishise polish, you create an environment which is restricted, limited, and often tends to lead to endless franchise sequels. Knowing exactly what’s in the next game you’re going to play is bloody boring.”

And it basically works on a slider.

The thing is is that you’re group A. You want a polished experience, you’re the kind of person who never coloured outside of the lines because you thought that you might have a clearer idea of what a picture should look like than the person who drew it did. You hate emergent gameplay. You want just this big, cinematic experience, and nothing else.

Then you have the group B, and group B is kind of tired of this. Myself? I’m sick of the killing, of the mindless slaughter, of almost every game being focused around how quickly you can kill someone with sword or bullet. If there’s an interesting enough aesthetic, or other mechanics which I can use to get away from the killing, I may just be interested. But I long for things which are different.

Alpha Protocol was a spy RPG. One of those had never existed before. It was the ingenuity of Obsidian that birthed such a batshit crazy idea. I played that game without killing. That was my choice. It was the first spy game where player choice really, truly mattered.

In spy games before, the maximum amount of choice that you were provided with was how you wanted to kill someone. Often through guns or a limited selection of gadgets. But Alpha Protocol had ambitions beyond that, and it went so, so far beyond that. It became something unique, something that was entirely its own. There is nothing else out there like Alpha Protocol.

Much in the same way that there’s nothing else out there like Ultima VII, or Vampire: Bloodlines, or Mask of the Betrayer. I like things like that. I revel in them.

Again, if almost any other studio had tried to conceive Alpha Protocol, it would have gone two ways:

1.) It would have turned into a polished, triple-A title with next to no emergent gameplay where every ‘choice’ was polished in such a way that everything feels restricted and limited, and the only real way to do anything is by killing everyone.

2.) It would have been scrapped before it even became a thing.

So we wouldn’t even be able to debate about it.

See, I see Alpha Protocol as being the natural evolution of Deus Ex. Deus Ex was and is limited in comparison to Alpha Protocol. Deus Ex: Human Revolution definitely is more limited and restrictive. Alpha Protocol was one of those Obsidian games which allowed you to be you, in a spy environment. It was special and unique.

But you can’t get over yourself.

You need your polish, and anything that isn’t a polished, cinematic experience must be shit. Well, good luck with that, I guess. But if you ever get tired of your dull, super polished games, then we’ll talk.

7. DSB

Easily one of the worst games I’ve played in recent years.

It had about as much to do with spying as Austin Powers, and if the characters had talked funnier, it pretty much would be.

I don’t see how aping Mass Effect and making a total fucking mess of it is innovative in any sense.

What on earth could possibly be considered innovative about Alpha Protocol?

I can see how it might have some sort of campy B-movie appeal to some, but it wasn’t even a good B-movie at that.

8. OrbitMonkey

For all Obsidian got wrong with Alpha Protocol, they got it right with Fallout New Vegas. Really enjoying that game. The story-telling is really good, lots of options & nicely balanced gameplay.

9. Ireland Michael

@6 The only one who needs to get over themselves right now is you, buddy. Your ego in that post makes Mount Everest look like a small hill. Christ.

The game is broken beyond belief, the story is dull aoral original. and the characters are almost completely uninspired. It has some interesting ideas going for it, but the whole game is a barely functioning mess.

Alpha Protocol isn’t even a polished turd. It’s just a turd.

10. Unknnnnn

@9 I have clocked a few years on gaming (at least 2). (By clocked I mean pure gaming/online time)

I have played every kind of action/shooter/strategy/rpg…. Well pretty much all PC games since 2000. Not much for consoles.

Eventually I have gotten to the point where I’m incapable of playing any game on anything but the hardest difficulty due to how easy and boring it is. (I especially loved dark souls for testing the limits of my patience, also getting 500-1000 hit combos in funhouse map of Batman Arkham City)

Now with this in mind I want to say that I enjoyed alpha protocol as much as Mass Effect (And I consider mass effect to be the best game I have ever played)… So alpha protocol is definitely in my top 10 most liked games. Actually in my top 5.

It definitely gets to my ego of a professional gamer, that the game I consider so high on my ranking getting bad reviews… The only reason that I can think of for people giving it low scores is…. Wait no… I can’t think of a reason why people wouldn’t like it…

This game does everything right, other than the walking animation. So there is no reason for it to be ranked so low.

P.s. I enjoyed piecing the story together. I like it when the story isn’t obvious straight away… Having to read through volumes of Intel to understand your next mission is definitely something I consider an excellent idea. While I don’t care about the story – I care about how the game makes you work for it. I hate the cheesy best-sellers that put everything on the plate for you and you can see every cheesy twist coming a mile away.

Speaking of cheese I hated call of duty 4 airport mission. Not because of the violence but because of boredom through the whole mission. I just wondered when will they just shoot me already… And what do you know at the end of the mission they did. The only way they could make this twist more obvious is if they allowed you the option to skip the level at the beginning. Oh wait! They did that!!!

11. Famine

Alright, I honestly have to say the comments about how Alpha Protocol is complete crap seem poorly made. All they are is comparing it to Mass Effect and bitching about how it is a shitty Spy Mass Effect. How about you step back and maybe think for a second that it ISN’T Mass Effect. Now go back and actually play the game for more than 20 minutes before coming and complaining about it just because it is an Obsidian game and you want to bash it. There are claims saying the only reason anyone says it is good is because Obsidian made it: I think it is good and I could honestly not name another Obsidian game aside from New Vegas and that’s because it was mentioned above. This game really is great for multiple play throughs and different choices. Sure, it could be similar to Mass Effect, but that’s not a copyrighted game theme through Mass Effect that any game ever using a similar style has to be compared to. If you don’t like it, great. But you’re on just as much a bandwagon bitching about it simply cause its a game you didn’t enjoy that Obsidian made as anybody that liked it just because Obsidian made it. If your negativity about the game has anything to do with Obsidian or with Mass Effect, then you seriously need to drop the romanticizing love and hatred and play some more damn games.

#11 12 months ago