Last Guardian was announced too early, ‘still coming to PS3′ – Yoshida

Thursday, 20th September 2012 09:51 GMT By Dave Cook

The Last Guardian may have been a no-show at TGS, but Sony’s Shuhei Yoshida has stressed that the game is still coming to PS3, although current rumours point to a PS4 release. The studio has also suggested that the game was perhaps announced too early

Speaking with Kotaku, a member of The Last Guardian dev team stated, “I give you my word that it exists. We are working on it.”

The developer also stated that it’s an ambitious project, and that, “There are lots of pieces of the puzzle. It’s a matter of getting them to fit together.”

Kotaku also notes that when he was still part of the team, Fumito Ueda agreed that perhaps the ambitious project had been announced far too early. We’re sure many gamers would agree.

Thanks again Kotaku.

1. SolidGamerSnake

Is it common practise to develop a game in pieces, hoping that in the end everything fits together?

2. a7md1990

It was announced like what?! 7 years ago?. A game should not take that long to develop anyway. in 2009 the development of Uncharted 3 started and the game was out in 2011, that’s only two years and guess what? one of the best games ever made!.

3. inside-360.de

4 years ago I buyed a PS3 and one reasen was the last guardian :D

4. Gekidami

What? It was announced in 2009, like 3 years ago.

5. NiceFellow

@1 yes – in as much that based on a design brief different systems are often worked on in isolation, then brought together, tested, further worked on, adjusted, etc.

So for example you might have a team working on melee combat and another gun combat. Then you’d test both systems together and see if they work. If melee systems were overpowered or via versa then the systems would be tweaked and tested together again. Then you have level design being built and the mechanics then tested in levels.

Complex games with multiple game play mechanics are rarely built in one continuous production stream.

The issue here is that, so far as I understand the game, it is really trying to push a number of mechanics way, way further than ever before. This is obviously going to take time and a lot of trial and error.

Developing a game with very known and tested mechanics is much quicker than trying to build something that’s mostly new or untried for obvious reasons.

That’s why most publishers would prefer an endless stream of variations on a proven theme than back something like this.

Given I was hoping for a Team ICO game on PS3 I do feel they announced too early although I guess they perhaps didn’t realize it was going to be this tricky to get everything working and balanced together.

6. monkeygourmet

The mechanics don’t look that revolutionary…

I mean, it’s just going to be som kind of platforming involving the griffin cat isn’t it?

7. a7md1990

@4 Not really, we knew they were working on their next project right after Shadow of The Colossus in 2005.

8. NiceFellow

@6 from what I’ve seen you’ve got an attempt to create a realistic companion that must be fed, looked after and coerced into helping you fight, platform and explore.

Can’t think of any games with that mechanic central to the whole thing. I love the idea but personally think balancing that and making it fun will be a challenge. Judging by the limited information available it is proving to be a considerable challenge.

Take just feeding the creature – how often? What if you run out of food? How does lack of feeding affect the creatures reactions? How much feeding should it need and so on. When does it become not fun finding food? How rewarding is it feeding the creature? These are traditionally tough mechanics to balance on their own never mind within a complex game – most titles with animal care just focus on the care and barely have anything else : here its just one of a number of factors.

A lot of gamers struggled with just the horse in Shadow of Colossus from these guys because it didn’t react instantly to every command – making it more horse like of course – and that was just a small element of the game.

Having something so vital to every part of the game as the creature seems and having it seem alive – i.e. elements of random and self generated behavior – is a huge task and very uncommon IMHO. Miles beyond say having a combat companion or some scripted help here and there from an NPC in a game.

TBH I worry they’ve bitten of more than they can chew in terms of AI complexity in a game but I hope it works out.

9. RandomTiger

Anyone else would have canned or forced it out the door unfinished by now.
    Hopefully it will come together, perhaps it can be the swansong for the PS3.

10. Clupula

I’m glad to see them taking their time with it, but yeah, I do think they announced it way too soon. Gamers have the attention spans of gnats these days. With that attitude so prevalent, it’s best to probably wait until a game is 70% done before you say anything to the public about it or you’re just going to hear an endless litany of bitching.

11. Clupula

@9 – and forcing it out before it’s ready would mean it would probably suck.

12. jldoom

I’m glad they are taking their time and frankly with all my back catalog of PS3 games I’ve yet to beat, I completely forgot about this game! I think I will put it in the back of my head again until more news that way I don’t torture myself on the release date for this lol.

13. Telepathic.Geometry

Considering the timeframe, I can only assume that this game will become a launch title for the PS4. That would give people a really good reason to take the plunge on a PS4, and it would fit the timescale well. Afterall, PS4 is coming out at around the same time as Last guardian seems to be, late 2013 to early 2014…

14. Clupula

Sony supported the PS2 way into the PS3′s life time. I’d expect them to do it again unless they want to piss off a large portion of their fanbase.

Porting this to PS4 would be a huge mistake. Some of the best PS2 games came out during the PS3′s infancy. All of the PS3 owners I know are very much anticipating the same thing. Instead of convincing me to buy a PS4, moving this would convince me I cannot trust Sony to support their products.

15. Dragon246

Thats why sony can be trusted. We know that they wont be abandoning the older consoles for newer ones for first 1-2 years, which increases their consoles lives.

16. Kuwabara

Who cares how long this game takes. maybe if it was a xbox exclusive i could understand because of the lack of exclusives that come out each year. But seriously you got plenty of exclusives and multiplats coming out every year, you shouldn’t be worrying about other games. Bythe time this game does release, it will probably be the best game this gen.