Torchlight 2 price is “as viable and as profitable” as selling a $60 box

Tuesday, 18th September 2012 19:34 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Torchlight 2 will run you $19.99 when it releases this week, and Runic CEO Max Schaefer said just because the it’s not retailing for $60 doesn’t mean the firm won’t make a profit.

Speaking with IGN
, Schaefer said releasing a game through a digital service like Steam nets the developer the same monetarily as it would releasing it at retail.

“Back in the day, when we would sell a $60-dollar box, by the time the money came back to us, it would be maybe $14 dollars a copy,” he said. “And that’s what we get nowadays on Steam, selling a digital download version for $20. So from our perspective, we’re as viable and as profitable as an independent developer used to be selling $60 boxes.

“We’re bypassing the publisher and box distribution and that lets us bring a $60 game to people for $20. We don’t want people to look at Torchlight as a cheap game, because we think it’s competitive with anything out there. But we like the idea that we’re at this price.

“It sets us apart a little bit. We also want people to buy a Runic Games product without even thinking about it, because they know it’s always a good value.”

Torchlight 2 is out on Thursday, September 20.

1. TheWulf

That does make a lot of sense, really.

You’re looking at a market and what they’re willing to pay. And I think more and more gamers are beginning to realise just how much the industry is diddling them, with subscriptions and premium costs for games which are profoundly lacking in both quality and quantity.

It’s been a slow, slow process, sadly. The vast majority are quite slow and take a while to twig onto this. And then you have people who’ll always fall for a big name, like Blizzard. It took a month for the vast majority to acknowledge that Diablo III was an utter disaster, despite it being a terrible game, with a horrible slog through the first act, not being able to select difficulty settings, their ‘gentle encouragements’ for you to use the RMAH, the login problems that lasted for months (if you also take into account the European roll-out) and so on.

And on top of that, the game was just bloody boring.

Eventually we’re going to reach a point where people will even stop and question those BIG FRANCHISE NAMES they’ve been taught to fetishise. And the more games that offer a sizeable amount of quality and/or quantity at a more reasonable price (like Torchlight II), the more we’ll have people stopping and scratching their heads at games which cost $60. Are they really worth it?

The truth is is that in most cases, they usually aren’t. Which is why waiting for sales has become common. Not to mention that even indie games, these days, often provide a better quality/quantity quotient than triple-A titles.

You’re going to have people who are going to buy Torchlight II for $20, and they’re going to realise just how much more of a polished, quality title it is than Diablo III, and how much less it has in the way of padding and repetitive content. Thus making TL II the better product for both quality and quantity. And once they realise this, they’ll be kicking themselves for having spent $60 on Diablo III.

And next time? Next time they might be a little bit wiser.

2. OlderGamer

Diablo III wasn’t without some issues, but the actual game experience, I thought, was fun. I played the Torchlight II Beta, and bought a four pack for friends/family. I thought that was fun too. And I think the price is great.

But I think your over doing it a bit Wulf.

I got my monies worth out of Diablo III.

3. DSB

He didn’t actually play D3, OG :P

4. OlderGamer

Oh, lol. Sorry then. I thought I was hard on the game, ‘lest I played it ;)

5. roadkill

@3 Well at least one of you has a spine.

6. YoungZer0

@3: Can’t blame him for that. One less person to support this outrageous DRM.

7. absolutezero

Torchlight is another one of Wulf’s trigger words.

Remember he has alot of things to do and cannot sit here all day everyday like us saddos so I’m guessing he comes along every couple of days and types 2 games and a developer into the search bar. Then proceeds to wring the shit out his hands.

8. DSB

@5 I reckon you’re missing another important part of your central nervous system if you spend that much time h8ing on games you never actually played.

Maybe I’m too picky, but I think an informed opinion trumps a hysterical fit.

@6 So they only sold 7 million copies, instead of 7 million and one. Something tells me they didn’t get the message.

9. YoungZer0

@8: I know, shameful. But that tells you everything you need to know about the majority of gamers: No spine.

But the next time Ubisoft is releasing a game with always-online DRM for a singleplayer game, they’ll suddenly remember their pitchforks and torches.

10. DSB

@9 Context is everything. For one you have two different companies, and Blizzard used to be known for being one of the most technologically advanced companies in the business.

That was before Diablo 3, and the recent breach.

Even before uPlay exposed them as a bunch of buffoons, Ubisoft were using Starforce, and that’s given people a very long time to become familiar with Ubisofts aggressive incompetence. If Diablo 3 had worked, and if the game had actually moved the series forward, nobody would be complaining.

Diablo 3 did fail, and the game didn’t go anywhere. People are going to remember that next time.

11. YoungZer0

@10: I guess you’re right about that.

12. iseeit

I have all 5 classes done with diablo 3 inferno. Took me about 400 hours combined and sold all my gear at the end for a almost ten times the cost of the game. My profile name is “Narbs” if any of you want to check it out for my achievements etc.

With that said, Diablo 3 is a fucking disaster. They killed Caine in act 1 for no significant reason, alienating every diablo 1 and 2 fan while spitting in their faces. That right their should sum it all up for folks. Anyone who defends diablo 3 as a worthy game to play for a long period of time is simply 1) on the blizzard payroll, most likely damage control hired out of indian telemarketter companies 2) diluted fool, who just bought the game less then 5 days ago so they are ignorant of the problems.

I’m looking forward to torchlight because for 1/1000th of the resources (manpower, time spent in development, cost to produce, etc) you get a superior product. The actual levels the game takes place in ARE randomly generated. Every single map in diablo 3 is highly scripted, the waypoints are always in the same places and the exits/entrences are always located in the same exact locations on diablo 3 maps. The only thing “randomly generated” about the diablo 3 maps are the useless foliage like the rocks and barrels and even those are chosen from a predetermined roster of less then a dozen.

I could go on and on but what’s the point. Anyone who takes their gaming and genres seriously already knows just how large of a disapointment diablo 3 is. And conversely, how superior of a product torchlight 2 is.

13. Maximum Payne

@12 IF the game is so so bad and disaster of epic proportion why did you finish it so many times ?

14. roadkill

@13 Why do you think? :)) Most of them know that they’re idiots for supporting this DRM so they try to prove to themselves that what they did was right. Some of them actually admit that what they did was wrong and I respect these people. And some others think that what they did was right and the game is awesome. These are the retards, the idiotic that are trying to destroy the passion that we have for playing video games.

15. viralshag

@12, You could go on and on but after telling people you spent 400 hours in a “fucking disaster” of a game kind of diminishes any point you might of had about other people who bought this game.

People spent maybe 50-100 hours and felt like they got their monies worth out of it. I kinda feel bad for you for wasting so long in a game you didn’t like.

@14, No, I think some people just aren’t that cut up about spending $60 on a game they enjoyed. And most people don’t care about DRM because, again, they played and enjoyed the game.

It’s people like you who are trying to destroy the passion people have for playing games talking about bullshit the majority of gamers couldn’t give a flying fuck about.