Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition intimidates with new trailer

Wednesday, 15th August 2012 12:06 GMT By Nick Akerman

Newcomers beware, Namco Bandai’s long-awaited PC port isn’t for the fainthearted.

A new trailer has been released, and boy, it includes some huge bosses. Dark Souls is notoriously difficult, and with the Prepare to Die Edition, developer From Software looks to keep the sleepless nights coming.

Brand new content will be included with the game, all of which will land on consoles later in the year.

For now, here’s a sneak peak:

1. HauntaVirus

I don’t mind a good challenge but this is just brutal, they’re crossing the line.

2. Da Man

They should produce a ‘DS:Get a Life Ffs’ Edition.

3. Hunam

It’s odd, because it is a really hard game till you just click with it and then it becomes easy but punishing still. I managed to beat the final few bosses with little to no trouble as long as I was careful.

4. Telepathic.Geometry

I think that it’s actually quite easy now that they’ve patched it to make humanity easier to come by. If you’re stuck, call on a few of your online broskis – who I’ve found to be genuinely cool people by the way – and buddy up to take down the demons. It’s only really difficult if you’re going for the platinum…

5. Gadzooks!

Can’t wait for that extra content to hit consoles. I might even start another character for it, although I really should finish my NG+ run..

6. GwynbleiddiuM

This one I will pirate without second thoughts, thank you for implementing GFWL you idiots.

7. DSB

Oh it’s gonna use GFWL? In that case, they obviously don’t want our money anyway.

Anyone buying it should be aware that Microsoft holds back patches for 30 days, regardless of whether they’re good or not. That’s a “service”, not abject incompetence. And Capcom are paying them for it.

Better hope it’s not as buggy as the last Capcom ports.

8. GwynbleiddiuM

And not to mention the whole online stuff it’s completely out of the reach of people like me who aren’t in the supported region/country list of GFWL. I wanted to play this online with my friends… /ragerantage

9. DSB

It’s not much better for people who actually do live in the “approved” countries.

The GFWL matchmaker is easily the worst one in the business, and there’s never any guarantee that it’ll actually connect when it’s supposed to. I remember trying to play GTA IV with Yoshi and Freedoms Stain. It could take anywhere between one and ten connection attempts to get in.

All it does is break the online portion of the games, hold back patches so Microsoft can “certify” them, and they’re still just as easily cracked. Great way to spend your money Capcom.

10. Talkar

@DSB
    They did say it was going to use GFWL when they announced the PC version. Basically it is because it is so damn easy to use when taking the 360 code used for multiplayer. In most cases it is almost the same code. And they also said they aren’t experienced in any way with porting to the PC so the port would probably be not so good. With that said, i don’t see why you are spreading paranoid fiction around just to call GFWL a bad service. I do realize a lot of people have had problems with it, and i can sympathize with that, but i’ve had more problems with Steam, and Gamespy than i have had with GFWL (i’ve had no problems with GFWL). Keep in mind that the petition that is the cause for this port said something along the lines of “Bring DS to the PC” not “Bring DS to the PC, and make an amazing port, oh and you have to do it in a few months time!”. Please do share your vast knowledge of multiplayer code and tell me what multiplayer system should they have used instead of GFWL?

11. GwynbleiddiuM

Oh Talkar, you utter ignorant git…

12. DoubleM

Hala yejoori ham mige bazi ro “Pirate” mikonam engar taa alan hame game hash ro asl mikharide!!

13. DSB

@10 Really, what a cop out :P

I don’t recall the petition saying that Dark Souls should be brought to the PC at the expense of quality, and whatever their motivation might be, Capcom are still responsible for that quality, and whatever malware they choose to bundle their games with.

Most publishers around today are smart enough to realize, that the PC is able to match either console on sales. But that’s provided that you bring people a version that accomodates their platform just as well, instead of going the Ubisoft/THQ/Capcom/Warner route.

What they all have in common is poor performance on the PC, and a fondness for poorly engineered DRM. THQ recently ditched GFWL, and have been reaping the rewards of that.

At this point, the number of titles that have been ruined by GFWL are simply a case of public record. Great to hear that you haven’t been struck by it, but obviously a lot of us haven’t been that fortunate.

You can find people who bitch about Steam, and you can find people who bitch about GFWL, but a defining difference between the two is that you won’t have trouble finding people who love Steam. You will have trouble finding people who love GFWL.

14. GwynbleiddiuM

@12 I know it’s kinda late to get back to your comment but I have been busy, and no, but I certainly have more than you could ever imagine in your wildest dreams.

15. Sadismek

Oh, yeah, this uses GFWL. I won’t buy the PC version then.