Borderlands 2: Mechromancer class on sale 60 days after game’s launch

Monday, 13th August 2012 09:03 GMT By Dave Cook

Borderlands 2′s fifth character class, the Mechromancer, is available free to anyone who pre-orders the game ahead of its September 21 release in Europe. Anyone not pre-ordering will have to wait 60 days for the DLC to appear online before buying.

VG247′s Sam Clay is en route to Gamescom in a Borderlands 2 bus, and was given the information by a 2K rep.

The Mechromancer class will be available on all formats – PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 – from launch to all pre-order players who are members of the Gearbox Premier Club.

She’s a cyborg who has mastery over most things technical and can call on a hulking ‘Deathtrap’ mecha to fight by her side to turn the tide of battle.

In others words, she’s well hard.

1. hives

But if I pre order, I still have to wait 60 days. I’m just getting this for free. It’s worth pointing out :P

2. drewbles82

I’m gonna wait the complete edition. Get it all, just a year later and a lot cheaper. Doesn’t effect me as im still on playthrough 1 on bl1

3. Judicas

@1 new story says per orders can use it from day one, free. Non per orders need to wait 60 days and pay. Not sure if that’s correct but it’s what this new story says…

4. Gigabomber

@1 is correct:

5. Gigabomber

@1 is correct. It’s all over the gearbox BL2 forum, but I can’t post a like here.

6. TheWulf

I can’t help but hope that with the Mechromancer, they end up with a character that looks like Ellie, as that would be amazing.

Though I’m expecting a very curvy, sexualised woman for the role, as that is the standard. But it would be a wonderful surprise.

You know, one of the most present surprises of recent years has been Torchlight II, where both genders actually get the same armour for both classes. It has the only properly armoured lady mage I’ve ever seen in anything, ever that isn’t a charr.

That amazed me.

And in Torchlight II, both women and men as engineers get access to the big, stompy steampunk tank gear. It doesn’t have holes to show skin on one version of it just because one version if it has a woman piloting it.

This already puts it miles above and beyond Diablo when it comes to respecting women, something that Blizzard’s backwards attitudes just really don’t give a fuck about.

But yes, this is about me liking Ellie. If you don’t know who Ellie is, click the Borderlands 2 tag and read back a bit. Ellie is a character they’ll be having in Borderlands 2 who betrays the hyper-sexualised stereotypes at least a little.

I’d be as pleased as punch if their Mechromancer did that.

I doubt it will, you know?

But if it did…