Kickstarter: Oculus-Rift virtual reality headset hits funding goal

Wednesday, 1st August 2012 20:45 GMT By Dave Cook

Oculus-Rift a new virtual reality headset backed by id Software’s John Carmack aunched a Kickstarter page this morning, and it’s already surpassed its $250,000 goal with 1,402 backers pledging $346,703.

The headset is to be developed by start-up Oculus, and according to its official Kickstarter page, the initial funds will go towards creating dev kits that studios can use to support their games.

One outspoken fan of the project is id Software’s John Carmack. In fact, if you pledge $300 or more, you will bag yourself a Oculus-Rift headset with a copy of id’s Doom 3: BFG edition built-in.

Carmack is also quoted on the Oculus Kickstarter page, “What I’ve got now, is, I honestly think the best VR demo probably the world has ever seen.”

That’s not a bad endorsement.

What do you think of VR tech in gaming?Is it a fad, or do you think it could help raise immersion in games? Let us know below.

1. xino

“I want one:/”-Iron Man 2

i want one man:/

2. Stephany Nunneley

The Kickstarter has already hit its goal – post has been updated, and moved up.

3. SlayerGT

Who’s backing all these kickstarters!?

4. Kabby

Yanks with more money than sense mostly.

World in recession? No problem. America gives not one solitary shit.

5. _LarZen_

@4 You DO know that people from all over the world can pay?

6. DSB

And the best way out of a recession is to stop inventing, selling and funding stuff. Because that’s how you get an economy going again :P

John Maynard Keynes is rolling around in his grave right now.

7. Kabby

The point is the majority of funding is coming from Americans who have more spare cash to throw at useless shit than most other nations at this time.

Perhaps there is a funding infomatic somewhere for the truly curious.

8. Phoenixblight

You have proof of this or are pulling facts straight out of thin air? Your comments are coming off as jealousy towards the yanks. U mad bro?

9. gameflow

I cant help myself of thinking kickstarter is more used as a promotional tool, other than for “real” funding. There are many projects that got funded after just a few hours…thats really suspicious. And if you take your time and actually look at the early backers you will find a lot that just supported this one project. Comparing that to more “normal” kickstarter project (and by that I mean projects that aren’t not so big) you see a different kind of backers. There, many of them are supporting projects on a regular basis.
    But of course, such a project, with this kind of attention will attract many new “kickstarter backers”…

10. freedoms_stain

@9, this is aimed at developers rather than consumers, I could believe that a lot of those new accounts were set up by businesses so that it’s getting charged to the company.

11. TheBlackHole

FYI – Carmack also tweeted that he thought it was a great idea, but that he ‘WASN’T BACKING IT’.

His tweet: “I should make it clear that I have no direct ties with Oculus; I endorse it is a wonderful advance in VR tech, but I’m not “backing it”.”

Nobody wants to be seen as actively endorsing a kickstarter, because they’re afraid of backing a product that will never materialise.

This sentence says it all:

“initial funds will go towards creating dev kits that studios can use to support their games”

erm… so when it says pay me this much and receive a headset, what you’re really saying is, pay me this much and we’ll use that money to fund dev kits – your headset will have to wait.