Brotherly love: The Walking Dead FPS trailer

Thursday, 12th July 2012 12:04 GMT By Stace Harman

A teaser trailer for Activision’s The Walking Dead action-FPS has landed, hinting at a story of life before the infamous incidents on Hershel’s farm and the rooftop in Atlanta that transpire in the AMC TV show: “When the world goes to hell, how will you survive?”

The game is in development by Terminal Reality and will focus on brothers Daryl and Merle Dixon. It’s expected in 2013 for PS3, 360 and PC.

Grab the video through the break.

1. hives

“They were just redneck racist brothers” – fixed.

2. absolutezero

Wow Its fucking nothing.

The best part of the guitar at the end.

3. Moonwalker1982

Wasn’t it just Michael Rooker’s character that was racist?

4. Phoenixblight

Yes, thats correct.

I can’t believe this was not put on this site.

THe creator of the comic and show says a FPS would be stupid and here Activision is totally doing it. THats why I won’t be buying it or even playing it.

5. TheBlackHole

That was a DREADFUL trailer. Truly awful, even for a teaser.

6. SplatteredHouse

I thought it was pretty good, for a trailer clearly labeled TEASER.

They conveyed that it’s based on the TV series, and where in the continuity it’s set. There are zombies. Zombies like to attack in swarms and are unpleasant, and it’s not good if you’re the target of those swarmers, as it appears you may well be in the game – since the focus is not on Rick and his family here, but the interesting character that left that guy cuffed on the roof (who subsequently vanished).
    Unless you were expecting gameplay, I’m not sure why the disappointment in the reaction.

An article on the game, by it’s creative lead.

7. Phoenixblight

VG247 put up that article a few days ago. As Kirkman said if you want a FPS with Zombies go play L4D.

Also look at the studios games and you will see they won’t be able to pull that off. They make sub-par games at best.

8. SplatteredHouse

If they fail to pull off what they say, what would anyone interested in the idea lose in following their attempt, and maybe even throwing them a little faith and encouragement? I’ve tried L4D, and it’s sequel. They’re fun, but not a stayer. (Sorry, Kirkman I won’t be following your advice on video games) I’m much more interested in AMC TWD, than I am Valve L4D.

@7: When I read the article (for the first time, just now) what was being said fitted with the teaser, which is why I mentioned the blog article here.

9. Phoenixblight

If the executive producer/writer of the show and comic doesn’t think its a good idea. I am not going to support this game especially with the studio behind it.

I doubt they will even get to COD level of a zombie game.

10. SplatteredHouse

Neither should they. They don’t appear at all to be headed that way. Have you read the article?

11. Phoenixblight

Yes I have read and that is my point they won’t even get to where they want with the game and that why I said they won’t even get to a COD zombie game where they just hoard on you while you shoot them down.

THis studio has made crap games for the most part the ghostbuster game was probably the best but even that game was mediocre. You are putting a lot of stock into a game just because of its brand even though their work shows they won’t be able to pull it off. Activision is just hoping the brand is enough to sell the game.

Creator of the show and comic thinks its a bad idea + horrible studio = horrible game.

12. tmac2011

this game better not be $60.00 just because its walking dead doesnt mean it’s pure gold, i hope they do a 2 player co-op mode for dareyl and meryl dixon

13. Ireland Michael

The biggest problem with this whole game is that you play as two of the most horrible, dislikeable characters in the entire franchise.

Why the hell would I want to play as an obnoxious pig and a racist asshole? The bastards can fend for themselves.

14. Phoenixblight

Actually there are fan sites upon fansites made for Darryl. I agree with Merle being dislikeable but that’s his point to be that character.

Darryl as a protagonist makes sense if you want a shoot em up zombie game which this game will most likely be going.

15. SplatteredHouse

@11: I’m not putting any stock in this at all. I invested nothing to watch the trailer, or find the info. It could turn out to be completely terrible, a nasty example to others of the danger of license exploitation and over-promises. If they release a demo, I’ll give it a shot. They’ve been given a golden ball, and I hope Terminal Reality are going to surprise, but if they don’t, what the hey. There’s plenty of other games to see. :)

I see two things in their list of games that lead me to think they may be a competent studio, that’s having difficulty catching a break.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_Reality (look down to Developed Games) and you see recently various port jobs for SNK. There’s Kinect Star Wars (a poisoned chalice, courtesy of Microsoft’s hit and miss casual interest) back a bit further, Bloodrayne and sequel for Majesco..The one I best know them for, though, is their first of the Blair Witch tie-ins, as part of G.O.D. I had a lot of fun with that. Bloodrayne (says wiki) was their first game after long-term in PC exclusive development.
    Are they really a “horrible studio”? I don’t think TR are.

16. Phoenixblight

ALl those games were trash there where studios that have had better titles that have folded and a studio like this somehow survives?

As I said the ghostbuster game was probably the best and that was sub-par.

Activision probably picked TR so they can pay 10 million then put another 20 million in the marketing and hope that the brand name is enough to sell enough copies to make a profit.

17. M. K.

Can’t be worse than L4D I guess

18. SplatteredHouse

@14. I agree. I think you’re very right to consider Darryl a strong choice as lead. (The alternative’s prob. Shane (Rick would not be a good choice because of his family, and the player probably not having the feeling towards them that Rick has) but I don’t find the story around Shane half as interesting. Too much is already covered.) TWD is all about character, and interaction, and Darryl is largely prominent in that regard.

@17: Probably still around because they’ve been involved in porting, whereas other studios got/were acquired and sent out by their publisher to paint coal gold – or, alternatively, made gold and got all the attention in marketing of a coal vendor. I can’t imagine there’s as much of a great deal of risk in porting, and may be the good call, when bigger jobs are already taken by the higher profile names. I simply hope TR make something of the opportunity they have.

19. TMRNetShark

OMG NO…

Why can’t anyone just make a zombie game like DayZ? Obviously some elements of Arma II are too hardcore (like the backpack/inventory system) while other elements makes the game soooooo damn good (night time is really night time and you have to rely on light).

Also, the zombie movement kinda is jarring. Make a game were it’s REAL survival and not just a corridor shooter.

20. Ireland Michael

@20 This *is* Activision we’re talking about, mate.

What did you expect? Creativity? New ideas?

21. IL DUCE

Yeah…this teaser is super old, it came out last week alongside the announcement…

But yeah, Kirkman said that stuff back in March and if this game has any actual storyline, character development depth with the survival horror vibe like Metro 2033 it should be good, although I prob wouldve preferred 3rd person perspective…but if its CoD in a Walking Dead skin it will blow

@20: +1…anything close to Day Z would be dope, if Day Z didn’t have retarded zombies who die from 1 shot kills to the leg and torso it’d be a lot better