Video: All four Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut endings capped

Tuesday, 26th June 2012 10:29 GMT By Patrick Garratt

EA has published Mass Effect 3′s Extended Cut DLC for 360, expanding upon the controversial endings of the RPG. SPOILERS – videos of every new ending inside.

Mass Effect 3′s Extended Cut DLC is out now for Xbox 360. The download weighs in at 1.9Gb.

The content is free. You can watch every new ending in the videos below.

And here’s the surprise. There’s a new ending. Here it is.

A PC version will also release today. The content hits PS3 in US and Europe on July 4.

The Extended Cut “expands on the endings of Mass Effect 3 through additional scenes and epilogue sequences,” as per the official FAQ. BioWare decided to create the content after an intense backlash from gamers over Mass Effect 3′s ending earlier this year.

“It provides more of the answers and closure that players have been asking for,” said BioWare.

“It gives a sense of what the future holds as a result of the decisions made throughout the series. And it shows greater detail in the successes or failures based on how players achieved their endings.”

There’s been consistent confusion over whether or not the Extended Cut actually alters the Mass Effect endings, but BioWare has always been clear that this is not the case.

“It does not fundamentally change the endings, but rather it expands on the meaning of the original endings, and reveals greater detail on the impact of player decisions,” the developer said.

BioWare is well aware that the additions won’t please everyone, and has already covered itself against the inevitable complaints.

“There was some feedback that we can’t address,” said executive producer Casey Hudson

“There are people who just outright rejected the whole concept of the endings, and wanted us to start from scratch and redo everything. And we can’t do that because that’s not our story, we wouldn’t know how to write that story.”

1. KAP

Can someone post the ending up on youtube.
    Dont wanna have to play the Cerburus and Earth missions again just to see the ending that was meant to be from my previous playthru…

2. Patrick Garratt

You can watch it being streamed live above.

3. KAP

Ah thanx Pat, watching it now.. just about to watch the famous star child bit now…. god… Bioware what did you do! lol

4. daytripper

Well with one of my saves I did the new control ending and felt it was a much better ending than the original, it’s best for everyone to experience it themselves as the trolling and hyperbolic negativity has started already on certain forums and had to stop reading. Lots of positivity been sent to Biowares twitter feed though.

5. KAP

Just watched the “Blue” ending on here, and without spoiling it, why couldnt Bioware add those extra scenes before? I mean it made a little more sense then it did previously.

Still though if the “lazy Image ending” is there way of calling it a more personal focused ending is anything to go by at least they tried I guess.

I’m hoping the player now chooses the “Red” ending as thats the one I chose.

6. daytripper

@5 agreed, I didn’t understand the logic of not showing your squad and other planets in the original ending, Mass Effects original head writer is sorely missed.

7. KAP

Did you just see the “Green ending” via the stream just then.. they did that great!

I felt horrified yet… I wont say much more cause it’ll be a spoiler.
    The live stream has finished so I missed the Red ending, the ending I chose. After seeing the extending Blue & Green, Im glad I chose Red still.

8. daytripper

@7 I did pal, bit weird but I like EDI as a character so I liked it was through her vision. Im a big fan of the series so I do like the endings, especially control but still think they could of been better. Seeing people now claiming they will boycott Bioware and Mass Effect in the future saddens me however.

9. Ireland Michael

How are the endings? I’ve actually been holding off on finishing the game just for these.

10. bo_7md

@9 Great. They’re just what I wanted, the same ones with more cut-scenes and explanations.

And It seems PC ones are out too!

11. PEYJ

The surprise ending was quite surprising…

SPOILERS, SPOILERS…

Who is going to take over if everything has been wiped out? Maybe I’m forgetting something in the storyline.

12. ManuOtaku

I did only play this game on multiplayer only,buy the way great multiplayer, i love this type of unlocks where you dont know which new gear/equipment you will be getting next, is like open card collecting, you dont know which figurine you will be getting next.

The thing is that i just was waiting for this updated and improved endings, in order to complete the game, now i can finish the fight, ah sorry non intended.

13. TheOutcastWolf

They really did a great job with the original endings, but I hope that in the game itself, depending on your love interests and other things, the ending slides change more, e. g. SHOW US TALI’S FACE ON TALI.

Also, is it just me or that Refuse ending was really bad, in terms of content?

14. PEYJ

Just went through all the endings.

SPOILERS, SPOILERS…

I’m glad I chose the destroy ending – very beautiful. I still never understood the old man/little boy part of it; who are they, where are they and why? The Refusal ending sucked; how can that be a good choice – every freaking one dies only to start a new round with a lot of losses. What a bad choice to make on a whole galaxy’s behalf!

15. PEYJ

Still to many unanswered questions: what the hell is that planet they land on and where did the God Child come from and from who, and what about the indoctrination theory? Man…

16. Dave Oshry

The Blue ending is now my favorite ending.

17. TheWulf

WARNING: Spoilers. Caveat lector.

Nice to see how it turned out.

Synthesis: An open mind welcomes the Singularity, redefines life.
    Control: An authoritarian moves progress slowly forward, under his rule.
    Destruction: A xenophobic arsehole kills all synthetic life, everywhere.

Being left wing and a transhumanist myself, I was filled with joy by the Synthesis ending, but… funnily enough, it happened exactly like I speculated it would. With a mix of reaper and everyday people using the technology and knowledge of the reapers to fix everything, and improve the lives of all people, everywhere.

I gathered that would be the case. And as such, the Synthesis ending was by far the most jubilant of all of them. And EDI and the geth finally, really got a shot at life.

And people get to live how they want to, rather than how they’ve been forced to.

Good stuff.

Like I said, it was just how I’d imagined it would end, down to the last detail. So I feel completely satisfied. But then, I knew Bioware wouldn’t let us down in this regard. See, I don’t know how many of you remember, but I was one of the few people who DIDN’T flip a shit.

Maybe because I have an imagination and the ending already looked like the extended cut in my head even before I saw this?

Who knows.

18. Malmer

I played through the EC from the cerberus base. Chose red ending. I hated it before. Now I am satisfied. It wasn’t perfect, but some of the added content was really good stuff. Esprcially the stuff that didn’t just explain but the stuff they retconned and changed. And having an epilogue was very much appreciated.

And Shepard’s new reactions to the starchild made a eorld of difference. Now his flawed logic is changed into being just his view and not some absolute truth that can’t be challanged. From
    My conversation with him it was pretty obvious now ti me that he was wrong and needed to be destroyed.

19. TheWulf

Your blatant lack of imagination betrays you. I think the vast majority are just born without the ability to create things with their minds.

“[...] what the hell is that planet they land on [...]”

Any planet you want it to be. It’s not actually a relevant point, since they could have taken the relay to any system which had a garden planet… so it just doesn’t matter.

If you absolutely need a planet? It was the planet with the crazy mind-eroding plants where Jacob found his father in ME2.

There.

“[...] and where did the God Child come from [...]”

He was merely the core control program of an ancient race of machines, built by the organics of that era to ensure their ongoing peace and prosperity, and to bring order to their lives. They were essentially that era’s geth, to put it in a way that might make sense for you.

So yes, originally the reapers were a sort of automated force providing everything from manual labour to policing the various species. They dealt with everything from terraforming to putting down wars and hostilities before they could even occur.

The control program believed that only a synthetic mind had the purity of objective thinking required to fulfil a role as important as this, and that organics were too chaotic. Without the control of the reapers, they would either kill each other or create new synthetics that would kill them. As such, a decision was made.

Because the organics were always finding new ways to fight back against the policing of the reapers, and the troubles they were having with other synthetics they’d created, the control program believed it was necessary to put in place measures which would prevent this chaos from occurring. It created the cycle, the cycle was the ultimate measure to ensure that the various species could have the peace and order they so desired.

It was an extreme measure, but due to apparently some faulty logic, the core program believed that it was the only way that this could be achieved. The problem is is that without a mind to bounce its ideas off of, there was no one to convince it of the errors of its solution.

And this solution–whilst workable–wasn’t really to the benefit of most organics. It couldn’t really understand why they were fighting it.

So what happened is these machines became militaristic, they harvested all the sapient species who could pose a threat to each other either directly or via created synthetics, and then uploaded their minds to a virtual world as part of the control program’s consensus, where it could keep a very close eye on them and ensure their quality of life.

Up until an organic race reached the point where they could become a threat, however, either directly or via the synthetics they created, they were allowed to thrive. To find their own art, culture, and way of doing things, to become whatever they were supposed to be. Then at the height of their potential, they would be harvested and introduced to the conesnsus.

Ultimately, every time you blow up a reaper ship, you’re killing the billions of minds on board which are living in the virtual reality of the consensus. Since every reaper ship is made up of all the minds of the species that was harvested to create it. This is what the Collectors were attempting to do with their human reaper.

As for the child itself? The reapers have the ability to read and tamper with organic minds, so having had a look through his memories it picked the one that it believed that Shepard would be at his most vulnerable around and thus willing to reciprocate the ideas of the control program. It chose one of Shepard’s ghosts, and as we see, this worked well.

“[...] and from who, [...]”

As I said, an ancient collaboration of species that decided that synthetics would be a good way to have free labour and an infallible police force.

“[...] and what about the indoctrination theory? [...]”

That was just a theory to begin with, and one that had many more holes than the actual endings themselves. That was just something invented by the players who couldn’t actually come to terms with what the ending was. To be honest, I’d have flipped a shit if the indoctrination thing was real, it was very poorly considered.

“[...] Man…”

Man indeed.

I wish people had more creativity of their own.

20. TheWulf

And yeah, I’m just tired of people bashing Bioware.

When is that going to end?

Seriously.

They gave everyone this and people are still bitching at them.

I actually feel genuinely bad for them.

21. Erthazus

Gosh, people still want ending to this date? Wow… the endings were ok. these one’s have much better explanation but they all look like they were done really fast so in the end they all suffered in quality.

I was ok with previous ending anyway, but that does not change the fact that Mass Effect 3 is a mediocre pile of TPS garbage with bad dialog and casual role playing system without any depth at all.

22. PEYJ

More imagination and creativity ?
    So you just made all that up?

23. Ireland Michael

@22 There’s nothing wrong with leaving some things open to interpretation.

24. Christopher Jack

@23, Perhaps branching plot points, but I feel it’s lazy to leave things unanswered.

25. Ireland Michael

@24 It’s not like this is going to be the last Mass Effect game anyway.

26. Christopher Jack

@25, Which is why it should have covered all loose ends.

27. blackdreamhunk

I hostly don’t like none of endings why could not organics synthetic live in Harmony? The first time plaguing the ending and I feel bio-ware rush mass effect 3. Mass effect 1 and 2 is a much superior game. Mass effect is one of my favorite games and series but after the endings was enough to turn me off of mass effect.

28. Froseidon

@26 – And why should it? Mass Effect 2 left it open to Mass Effect 3. If they had covered all lose ends, Mass Effect 3 would not be about. It is only logical to leave stuff open if there is a plan to continue.

If George R.R. Martin (Song of Ice and Fire) told us who Jon Snows mother was early on, what would be the point in reading on if we can then already take a good guess at how it will end? That plotline is left open through that. The same is true for the endings of Mass Effect.

You leave lose ends so you can continue at a later date. They plan to continue, so they will leave it open. It is not lazy, it is required.

29. Christopher Jack

@28, Read #24. I believe Mass Effect 3 is the final game in the franchise so it should have covered all loose ends, no idea if it did or not, nor do I care.