Nintendo Direct: 3DS XL hits EU July 28, US August 19

Friday, 22nd June 2012 05:08 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Nintendo of America and Europe opened their Direct presentations with key news – the 3DS XL is officially on its way to both territories during northern summer.

Nintendo Direct EU & US

3DS XL hits US on August 19 and EU on July 28.

Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask confirmed for November launch on 3DS.

Animal Crossing 3DS launch confirmed but not detailed.

First 3DS eShop sale to run through August 1.

The updated console hits US stores on August 19 for an RRP of $199.99. Europe will see the console on July 28, the same day as Japan. Europeans have a choice of blue, red or silver, while the US gets black, red and blue.

President Reggie Fils-Aime repeated messaging from the Japanese presentation about the new upper screen’s 90% size increase, and added that the new console’s battery has greater longevity than the core 3DS at 6.5 hours. Interestingly, the European presentation noted that no AC adapter will be included with the updated hardware and will have to be purchased seperately, although you can use your existing adapters. The US bundle will include an AC adapter.

Moving into a software showcase, Nintendo showed Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate; Skylanders Giants; the Adventure Time game; Lego: the Lord of the Rings; Scribblenauts Unlimited; Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion; and Sonic and Sega racing.

Kingdom Hearts 3DS was highlighted; there will be an exclusive special edition, and a demo is available from the US eShop right now. Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask was confirmed for release in November, and will benefit from free DLC puzzles every day after launch.

Nintendo of America and Europe re-confirmed the collaboration with Namco Bandai on a new Super Smash Bros game, and said the brawler has been in development for 3DS and Wii U since Kid Icarus: Uprising wrapped.

The US Nintendo Direct briefing in full.

The art game Iwata introduced during the Japanese presentation was revealed as a new Art Academy game with full tutorials in painting and drawing.

A presentation on New Super Mario Bros 2 emphasised the social aspects of Coin Rush, its simultaneous launch on eShop and in-store, and its premium Coin Rush level DLC. The game will launch in the US and Europe on August 19.

Fire Emblem was up next, with a brief mention of its 2013 US launch; it and Paper Mario 3DS are expected in the first half of the year in Europe. Animal Crossing was mentioned during the European presentation, but aside from confirming a local launch, no details were given. Heroes of Ruin was trailered.

On the eShop side, Super Mario Land, the first portable Mario game, is on sale for $2.99 until the end of the month. From July 5 to August 1, Nintendo intends to add two new classic Virtual Console titles to the US eShop every single week. From July 2, you’ll be able to upload 3D photos to Nintendo’s photo showcase, which will showcase the best submissions and integrate with social media.

Pokemon Black & White 2 was shown next, as well as the two eShop apps which can be used in conjunction with either version if you play on 3DS rather than DS. Fils-Aime noted that specific launch dates for Pokémon games are on the way and introduced a segment of English-language gameplay footage; the European launch for Black & White 2 is still northern autumn.

Moving onto the Wii, the US release of Kirby’s 20th anniversary bundle, the Dream Collection, was confirmed but not dated. Still on the Wii, Pikmin 2 has been added to the US Nintendo Selects line at a reduced price. Imazuma Eleven Wii is coming to Europe but wasn’t dated.

1. Ireland Michael

That larger screen is certainly a good thing. I find the current 3DS’s screen is so small that I barely even notice the 3D effect half the time. I’m interested to see how much more prominent it will be on this device.

2. Sini

Ambassadors, aka nintendo suckers, just got fucked.

3. Dragon246

One thing for sure, looks better than original 3ds, but lack of circle pad disappoints me.
    Also no adapter in box, are they kidding?
    It easily means its around 220$, ninty sure knows how to suck money out of consumers. This and lack of additional circle pad (which also has to be bought separately , make it officially a “downgrade” rather than an upgrade of existing 3ds at the price point it demands.

4. FrankieDF

Just last week Miyamoto said there wouldn’t be a revision.

5. OrbitMonkey

No adapter… That’s some penny pinching Ninty. Expecting bad times ahead?

6. Gekidami

And you believed him? lol Constant revisions and screwing over early adopters is how Nintendo rolls. Still, at least this time they didnt add in a whole online store thats totally inaccessible to people with the earlier model.

7. Dragon246

@6,
    That is why I prefer sony. Atleast they dont fuck their early adopters like myself by decreasing price after 4 months and then providing 10-20 year old games as a token compensation.
    A ninty console is the worst one to buy at launch.

On other hand, sony should learn from ninty and do “sony shows” every few months.

Edit- American version will include ac adapter and 4gb stick, not for european, japanese will not include it. Also the screen resolution remains same.
    Better than previously mentioned shit for us (not eu)but still sucks without circle pad.

8. brotherhoodofthewolf

- must have adapter as standard
    - it does DS games at 1:1 resolution according to GAF – this has sold it to me

- any word on whether the top screen now shows less ghosting or not?

9. dtyk

Sony did promise a vita heaven broadcast in June. However, it’s no where to be seen and it’s already late June. Sony, your move?

as for the new model, I’m interested now that the screen is finally bigger. However, I definitely foresee another fire sale price cut some time soon. 250 after tax is way too much. That’s how much I got my vita for.

10. Gheritt White

At last! I will *definitely* be getting one – they’re so much more comfy than a PS Vita.

11. DrDamn

“it does DS games at 1:1 resolution according to GAF”

So does the original 3DS – you have to hold a button down as it boots.

Lack of circle pad is interesting. Indicates that a redesign of the regular 3DS is not going to include it either – or is some way away.

12. Gheritt White

I’m actually really excited about getting one now – counting down the days! Wheee!

13. a7md1990

They’re retard as sh!T, why didn’t they show this at E3?? ooh I know!, cuz people woulda BOOED their asses off the stage over the lack of a second circle pad.

14. monkeygourmet

def trading in mine for the bigger screen. Was looking at the DSiXL the other day, the screen really is huge.

I bet the games look fantastic with more screen real estate!

Any videos with games running on it yet?

15. Gadzooks!

The missus has been hinting for months that she wants a DSiXL, and I’ve been hinting at myself that I need a 3ds, and now this comes along!

I do not see coincidence. I see providence.

16. Beta

I don’t want to sound cynical, but no second circle pad as standard = more circle pad pro sales = Profit. Good old corporate greed at work here? :P

17. monkeygourmet

Prob… It does seem a bit weird doesn’t it. I guess if they had included one it would have split the market slightly…

Still, a bit of a silly ommision, especially considering the size of the redesign could have easily supported one.

Looking at the picture above, surely they could have fitted one under the XYBA buttons on the right?

18. CyberMarco

There goes my hope in buying a 3DS with a 2nd circle pad! Damn those hypocrites!

19. OlderGamer

This might be the one that I have been waiting for. With my eyes, I could use the bigger screen. I almost bought the DSXL. But handheld games are way down on my list, but the DS has some nice exclusives I would enjoy having a go at.

20. monkeygourmet

Go for it! DS has pretty much the best line up of games of any console and the 3DS looks to continue where it left off! :)

21. MegaGeek1

Nintendo is toast. They will be the new Sega in 2 years.

22. mickey2002

<_< Meh I'll wait for the next true none screw job revision there is bound to be another within next 12months

23. reebi

I’ll be trading in my 3ds for this bigger one, looks great!

24. dreamcastnews

I’m ‘aving that….

25. Moonwalker1982

Ridiculous…beyond ridiculous.

This whole shit could have been done from the start, this 3DS with the bigger screen could have been done from day 1. And the fact that they are STILL not having a second analog stick is just laughable. Instead of that, they more or less are gonna make you have to buy a stupid add-on. And to top it off…no power adapter for europe? This is something i don’t wish to be part of and neither will i.

Few of my friends are already talking about selling their current 3DS to buy this, i guess i can understand it from their point of view but it sucks that this is how Nintendo does things.

26. polygem

i do not need a second analog stick. why is this always coming up??? i seriously do not get it. as if gaming is only worth your time when both your thumbs rest on an analog stick. that´s bs.
    the games that are great on the 3ds do not need a second stick – it´s up to developers to design for the console.
    i do not need resident evil on the 3ds.

i have a dsixl. the bigger screen is awesome. games like zelda spirit tracks are fantastic on it.
    i don´t know if i´ll get one day one though…do not like those EU colors. want a black or white one and will wait for that.

no adapter means less trash. that´s the trend. it is good. nintendo will prolly get a greeny award for it. i got 2 3ds/ds adapters already. they all work for the 3ds…

DAMN i´M TEMPTED TO GET ONE DAY ONE ANYWAY.

@OG: yes get one! i am truly loving mine…

27. polygem

FUCK IT. I WILL GET THE RED ONE. IT`S BLACK INSIDE.

there will probably be a new super mario bros 2 bundle too??? just guessing. i mean same day release just screams for it.

28. Gheritt White

I AM GOING TO GET THE GREY ONE BECAUSE I THINK IT LOOKS THE CLASSIEST

29. polygem

hmmm yea the silver/ grey one is nice too. red and blue are classic mario colors though. but blue isn´t my color. would love a yellow one. those yellow/black dsi´s looked awesome. like a sportscar. it will be a race between red and silver for me…still got a few days to think that through ;-)