Diablo III finished on Inferno using Hardcore character

Wednesday, 20th June 2012 11:31 GMT By Stace Harman

Diablo III community manager, Bashiok, has confirmed the world’s first Diablo III completion on Inferno difficulty with a Hardcore player. Video – with potential spoilers – through the break.

A Diablo III player named Kripparrian has completed the game on Inferno difficulty using a Hardcore barbarian, he received a little help along the way from a wizard named Krippi.

Inferno is the hardest of Diablo III’s difficulty levels and Hardcore characters suffer perma-death when they are killed, so this is no mean feat, especially as it was achieved prior to patch 1.0.3 being applied which made certain items more readily available from loot drops.

The video below features “Kripp and Krippi” taking on the game’s final boss with a voice-over explanation from a triumphant Kripparian.

Thanks, EG.

1. BULArmy

Nice, maybe I will copy his skills. And this is done with not so good stats on hardcore, which is even more impressive. 7k damage, 9k armor. The Barb as in D2 is the most screwed class of them all, so beating Diablo on Inf., hardcore, in my mind is 10x more awesome, then if it was done by any other class.

2. Erthazus

Barbarian is not screwed at all. With his Resistance and defence diablo in Inferno is a piece of cake.

Monk and Barbarian are two great classes for beating every boss in inferno without any trouble.

I will start Hardcore when i will beat inferno with all classes.
    DH, Wizard and Monk is done. 2 left.

and their build is good, does not matter what damage you have. It all depends on Resistance and defence so far so they did a good job.

3. Talkar

1.0.3 added an enrage timer to pretty much all the bosses. So they boss fights are a lot tougher in the new patch.

4. Ireland Michael

Enrage timers are such a lazy balancing cop-out. It’s just forcing people into glorified gear checks.

5. Talkar

^Completely agree, but it does still make the game tougher.

6. silkvg247

Woah, nice but lucky too. A lot of deaths aren’t player’s fault e.g. I’ve had a pack of elite lickers kill me instantly from OFF THE BLOODY SCREEN, so all you could see was their four tongues. I guess Mr. Hardcore here wasn’t quite so unlucky! Also how did he defeat the lag monster? I guess he was fortunate enough to not have a local or network hardware or isp or blizz server failure throughout. That’s what puts me off HC the most.

As for enrage.. they aleady exist on most leet / champ packs I’ve noticed. Seems to me it’s there to stop wizards playing the game in any way shape or form. I’ve had pack after pack kill me due to enrage timers.. it’s like “congratulations on kiting and staying alive when you are so squishy and vulnerable and not allowed to stand still, and so things take a while to kill, now die anyway. Oh and I think I’ll heal them too. problem?”

So on one hand I’m expected to deal out enough DPS whilst continuously kiting with no explanation as to how (totally reliant on hydra and blizzard, with the occasional extra primary attack). On another I’m expected to have enough defense to not get one shotted, so teleport+fracture, prismatic armour, diamond skin and 900 resists. And definitely *not* glass cannon, means I can take 3 or 4 hits. But apparently not kill anything “fast enough”, even treasure goblins (hah.).

Really the whole thing is a huge contradiction. Inferno isn’t difficult, it’s just like a riddle for which there isn’t a right answer. Good at kiting? Playing skillfully? Balanced gear? Ah but that way your DPS is low, so here, eat some enrage. Awesome DPS? Dying frequently but killing things in the process? No no, not what we intended either, here, have 6x higher repair costs.

Honestly the fact that most mobs kill me so frightfully easily even with my defense build is surely challenge enough for a wiz, it’s just the enrage part that baffles me. It isn’t a skill check. And as a gear check it makes no sense.. as it just contradicts the whole idea that Inferno requires resists and defense.

7. Fin

Maybe you should play something else if you get so worked up about it.

8. Erthazus

and it’s the game about gear so that timer is a good solution because some of the noobs tried to complete Inferno by using shitty monks with a lot of Resistance and good gear.

With timer, now it’s impossible to do so.

9. OlderGamer

@Silk, I stoped playing already, much for the same reasons(and others) that you laid out. I feel that I put enough hours into it to justify the money spent but I am disapointed none the less. I was hoping for a game that I would enjoy for years not a few weeks.

Apples and oranges, I know. But I have moved back to Civ V because of the new expansion(which is fantastic).

10. JB

Kripparian again eh, he`s a sucker for Blizzard games ^^

He was the first to complete The Ironman Challenge in WOW as well.

11. Ireland Michael

@6 But once the Real Money Auction House comes out… you can just buy your way to victory!

See, it’s easy.

Fuck you Blizzard.

12. Erthazus

@11, if you have free 1000 EURO’s than of course.

top items cost for 250 EURO each. Europe already have RM AH and it’s not really the most successful thing.

13. Kabby

I believe he had about 50,000 viewers watching the kill live on Twitch.

14. silkvg247

I am not the sort of person who spends real money on virtual items, never have been, never will be. :)

15. Ireland Michael

@14 Yea, I realise this. It was a stab at Blizzard’s underlining philosophy behind the game.

16. DSB

@11,12 So why not use the non-RM AH instead?

I agree though, the AH strikes me as an excuse to be lazy with itemization and still make a buck doing it.

I think the criticial problem is with the multiple playthroughs though. I have absolutely no desire to play a game 5 times over, just to change the difficulty setting. Most games let you do that from the fucking menu.

17. absolutezero

They lowered the drop rate and amount of gold in the latest patch. They also increased the cost and rate at which weapons need to be repaired. Its in the patch notes.

They basically made it harder to use the normal AH compared the RMAH instead.

The rate of rare weapon/armour drops has been lowered. Weapon racks no longer drop weapons 100% of the time. Theres more to discover if you have a little read and do some thinking about why some choices were made at the sametime.

EDIT Hideous fucking typos.

18. Ireland Michael

@17 Hahahaha! Seriously?! Jesus.