Report – Kingdoms of Amalur developer in financial difficulties

Tuesday, 15th May 2012 01:59 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The government of Rhode Island is taking steps to keep a struggling Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning developer 38 Studios open, according to a new report.

Speaking to NBC 10, Rhode Island Governor Lincoln Chafee admitted the developer is in financial difficulties.

“We’re always working to keep Rhode Island companies solvent, and that’s what we’re doing with 38 Studios,” he said.

The state government has a strong interest in the company’s future because it made a $75 million loan guarantee to establish 38 Studios locally. The developer’s financial problems have apparently brought that decision into question.

38 Studios was founded by pro baseball player Curt Schilling in Massachusetts and moved to Rhode Island in 2011, two years after acquiring former THQ studio Big Huge Games.

The studio’s first effort was Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, published by EA Partners, which was reasonably well received.

Thanks, GiantBomb.

1. Sini

Does it have awesome demons, tits, gore, rape, and shocking betrayals? NO? Fire marketing department and leads. TOlkien fantasy has ended. Witcher series is heading in the right direction.

Go play Witcher 1/2, watch Game of Thrones, and stop making shit.

2. freedoms_stain

I hope nobody from the Daily Mail reads this article after @1′s comment, I can imagine the sensationalist headline “sick gamers demand tits, gore and rape in their game.

3. The_Deleted

As long as the Daily Mail ask Sini why and his reply is: “Because fuck you, that’s why!”
    Then fair play.

4. back_up

PC gamers and 360 gamers are to be blamed
    it was on torrents sites when before the release

5. udoh

I didn’t buy it, because it was yet another EA game with another online pass and day 1 DLC, and I’ve had enough of that.

6. endgame

Wow! What a shocker! LOL!

7. silkvg247

It’s actually a good game, they don’t deserve this. I doubt it has anything to do with piracy thoguh.. the game is a bit too old school fantasy and it suffers from a boring storyline.

8. Maximum Payne

@7 It was too long in development ,also it was first design as mmo , then later they change it.

9. xxJPRACERxx

I really like that game. I hope the dev. will be ok.

10. ManuOtaku

I like the game also, hope we see a second game that iron some things out, in order to become a great game.

11. Corakus

Sini’s an idiot, the game’s low sales have nothing to do with the high-fantasy setting.Skyrim is high-fantasy, and it sold over 10 million copies, not including digital sales.The game didn’t sell well because pretty much everything about the game was ripped out of some other game.The combat?God of War.The art style?World of Warcraft.The dialogue system?Mass Effect.The side and faction quests?The Elder Scrolls.The crime system?TES.That’s just the tip of the iceberg, there’s a lot more in the game that’s also rips off other games.People don’t have to copy Witcher in order to sell well, Witcher games don’t have bad sales, but they’re not the best in the business either.My main complaint about the game is it’s linearity, you can only explore three out of five regions without doing the main quest, the other two you have to finish the main quest in order to unlock the rest of the content.That’s stupid, the main quest isn’t even that great and the game forces you to do it to get to harder areas, I don’t play open-world games so I can play through a story-line, I play them so I can do whatever the hell I want without anyone or anything stopping me, and Kingdoms of Amalur does not succeed in that regard.