Diablo III goes live, devs talk launch, classes, more

Monday, 14th May 2012 23:21 GMT By Staff

Diablo III is now available worldwide, with more than 2 million pre-orders and 8,000 midnight events seeing the RPG out of the door. Senior developers talk with VG247 on camera at the London’s launch.

Diablo III’s senior world designer Leonard
Boyarsky and lead technical artist Julian
Love talk to us on tonight’s launch, the
long development period, the in-game
auction house and more.

Diablo III has launched, and is now available in retail stores throughout the US, Canada, Europe, South Korea, Southeast Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau.

Blizzard said today that the game was pre-ordered more than 2 million times, and was launched at more than 8,000 midnight events worldwide.

“This launch is a culmination of many years of hard work by our development team, and many years of passionate, dedicated support from gamers around the world,” said Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime.

“We’re grateful for the enthusiasm of our players, and for the help of our beta testers in getting the game ready for release. Now that Diablo III is live, we hope everyone’s ready to have a hellishly good time slaying demons and collecting loot in Sanctuary.”

Not everything has gone smoothly, though. A launch crush has caused servers to stop people logging into the game, with “error 37” becoming an instant Twitter meme.

Diablo III continues the Diablo storyline, with players taking on the role of one of five classes – barbarian, witch doctor, wizard, monk, or demon hunter – to destroy demon-kind for good.

1. jacobvandy

That sucks. Why have a midnight release in the UK when you can’t play until 8 hours later? Silly Blizzard.

2. DSB

Not so. Johnny, people are logging in and playing as we speak. The gameplay servers are very much live. Just as the authentication servers are very much down.

This is the current ticker:

“Due to high concurrency, the login servers are currently at full capacity. This may cause delays in the login process, account pages and web services in addition to the game login.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience while this is being resolved.”

3. Johnny Cullen

Really? I can’t get in myself, even after changing regional servers. Clicking the button after putting in my login stuff doesn’t do anything. :(

4. DSB

Did you update your client and all that?

I made sure to download the EU client even though I’m in the US.

It has no problem taking my login, but every time I get to authentication it’s Error 37.

5. Johnny Cullen

Yup, my client’s the EU one.

EDIT: It’s just gone live in the UK, but getting Error 37. I’m updating the story now.

6. Phoenixblight

You won’t be able to get in because your game is only active to the US region not everywhere else. That is what the global play is.

7. Erthazus

Perfect Blizzard start.

As always. I get a lot of errors.

After 12 fucking years, fans of the series DESERVE a decent launch. Jesus. Come ON!

8. DSB

And I’m IN!

Wooooot.

Just copy your password and keep pasting it into the bracket. Once it hangs on the authentication, it’s trying to get you in. Just let it hang there until it times out… Or gets you in.

9. Erthazus

I tried that and it only gets you through for a sec and … Nothing.

Blizzard fucked up it’s launch.

10. DSB

Nope, it works fine here.

11. freedoms_stain

ROFL, glad I didn’t preorder or I’d be pissed right now, my broadband just died and my ISP’s service status page says BT are doing work over the next 3 nights that can knock out connection all over the country. There may be a lot of unhappy British Diablo fans right now.

I’m actually pretty pissed anyway actually cus I was playing BF3 art the time :(

12. DSB

I read an article that said Danish ISPs had suspended work across the country due to the D3 launch :P

13. Johnny Cullen

I’m on.

14. Jeez

@7 “Jesus. Come ON!”

15. endgame

Well. It was expected. Pirates can’t play it either though. There’s no c***k out yet.

16. TheBlackHole

Wow. This is why I’ll be getting it on Xbox.

I do not want to have to fuck around with a broken server connection to play a single-player game.

17. freedoms_stain

@16, and what makes you think the online requirements will be any different on a console should such a version ever materialise?

18. TheBlackHole

Because consoles don’t have online requirements for single player games. I would’ve thought that was obvious.

Even if they wanted to, I can’t see Microsoft allowing it.

And you say ‘if’ like the console version’s not official?

19. freedoms_stain

@18, do you know what happened when xbox launched and Microsoft insisted all online games had to use Microsoft servers? EA threatened to pull support for the platform and low and behold all EA games are running off EA servers.

If Blizzard want, they will get.

The console version isn’t official, there’s another story on here where Blizzard flat out state they haven’t started a console version and they don’t even know if it’s possible. That’s about as not official as it gets.

20. TheBlackHole

Okay, here’s a reality check – they are working on it. The debate is whether the PC version does well enough for them to justify ramping up resources for a full development cycle.

Also, always on would be a bad move on console, where Blizzard don’t currently have the reputation or support to justify hard-balling consumers. Valve could do it, possibly Bungie, but not Blizzard – not without a breakout hit coming first.

21. freedoms_stain

@20, if they’re working on it, why say they’re not?

And Blizzard have a reputation throughout the entire industry, platform is irrelevant. People in their 30′s who crossed over to console are buying PC’s specially for this game.

22. TheBlackHole

@21 “if they’re working on it, why say they’re not?”

You’ve never worked in the games industry, have you.

Valve have continually denied Half Life 3′s existence, but show me a gamer who genuinely believes it’s not being made. Or Bungie, whenever they were working on a new Halo, constantly denied its existence. And yet here you have a company telling you flat out that THEY’VE HIRED CONSOLE DEVELOPERS TO WORK ON A CONSOLE VERSION OF DIABLO, and you’re suggesting that you believe they’re not making it, ‘because they said so’. Please, use some common sense.

“People in their 30′s who crossed over to console are buying PC’s specially for this game.”

Sorry, but gross hyperbole does not a good argument make.

23. absolutezero

So the Koreans have killed Nightmare difficulty Diablo now. Starting on Inferno next I think.

Going well then.

24. Edo

I strongly advise EVERYONE to stay away from Metacritic user score for this game and not just because of the usual trolling but also because some master troll decided to spoil Max Payne 3(along with the usual “herp derping”).

25. Gadzooks!

I’m waiting for the Xbox version too. Just dont have the time or money to waste on getting a gaming PC working and I detest gaming with a mouse/keyboard.

26. freedoms_stain

@22, “Sorry, but gross hyperbole does not a good argument make.”

ROFL, are you describing the entirety of your own post there?

27. TheBlackHole

You do understand the meaning of hyperbole, right?

…and ignoring the accusation does nothing to support your point.

28. viralshag

I logged on to the EU servers at about 3am this morning no problem and played about three hours of it. Then I went back to sleep for an hour and went to work.

If I could survive doing that for the rest of my life I would…

29. Patrick Garratt

Just played a bit. No problems with connecting at all.

30. freedoms_stain

@27, OK, lets go back to the point, “Console version, Official?” According to Blizzard, no. Any assumptions you make based on anything does not make the game official. Doesn’t matter who they hired, doesn’t matter what Valve or Bungie are doing or have done, Diablo 3 is official on no platform other than PC at this moment and time.

Blizzard are investigating the possibilities of a console version, nothing is solid. Those are actual facts based on statements from people at Blizzard.

As for online requirements, that is obviously an unknown, but they will either be there or features will be missing from the game – Notably the auction house.

31. TheBlackHole

Sorry, but ‘official line’ is no better than ‘we don’t talk about rumour and speculation’.

If you actually do some digging, you find that actual employees have already leaked the game’s development.

And yes, of course Blizzard came out to explain what he ‘really’ meant, but nobody is THAT stupid.