The Elder Scrolls Online to release in 2013 on PC, Mac

Thursday, 3rd May 2012 17:16 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Game Informer has announced that The Elder Scrolls Online, the long-rumored MMO from Bethesda’s parent company is real.

The game takes place in Tamriel 1,000 years before Skyrim and focuses on daedric prince Molag Bal’s attempt to take over the land. The game will contain three factions, PvP, and is in the works at ZeniMax Online Studios.

“It will be extremely rewarding finally to unveil what we have been developing the last several years,”director Matt Firor, whose previous credits include Dark Age of Camelot, told the magazine. “The entire team is committed to creating the best MMO ever made – and one that is worthy of The Elder Scrolls franchise.”

Rumors regarding the title have been circulating for ages, with the latest report stating the developers were readying for a May reveal. They were’t too far off now, were they?

The source was also spot on stating the game would take place a millennium before the events in Skyrim, which is several hundred years before the other titles in the series.  The anonymous source was also correct regarding the three playable factions, and cited the symbols as a “lion, a dragon, and a bird of prey.”

More details on the MMO will be revealed in the (apparently leaked) June issue of Game Informer, which will provide an “in-depth look at everything from solo questing to public dungeons.”

The feature will also provide a look at the PvP where players will engage in “open warfare over the province of Cyrodiil and the Emperor’s throne itself.”

A teaser trailer will be released tomorrow as well as the first screenshot of the game.

The Elder Scrolls Online is slated for a 2013 release on Mac and PC.

1. revolting

Good grief. There goes my life.

Confirmed as real on Bethesda’s twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Bethblog/status/198080551054356480

2. BULArmy

Can Bethesda create WoW killer? Naaaah it will be too buggy and for MMO that is the worst thing evaaaaaar, look at Age of Conan and SWTOR,

3. DSB

And now they also have the rights for Fallout Online…..

Only a matter of time.

4. Talkar

I don’t know how great an The Elder Scrolls MMORPG would actually be.
    When i play those games i like the whole singleplayer experience and i don’t want to have some 10 year old who likes dragons screaming at me while i put pots on peoples heads and steal all their stuff :/

They can’t! They just.. Can’t! I refuse to believe it! x)

5. Stephany Nunneley

This just in: Stephany will have no life once this comes out. That is all.

6. Talkar

Steph, as any gamer you should know there is no life, only AFK ;)

7. Erthazus

Actually they developed Elder Scrolls MMO for some time.

But i’m just skeptical about it. Latest Elder Scrolls Games are basically MMORPG without players. Lol.

But this can actually kill WoW for sure. Elder Scrolls is really popular these days.

8. Stephany Nunneley

@6 This is true, but even more so for this. I have been gagging for an Elder Scrolls MMO since I first started playing the genre. *massive ES fangirl and not ashamed to admit it*

9. WFMMK

One word. Lame.

10. Giskard

@7 Can we stop it with the WoW-killers? Every MMO since 2007 or something have been “WoW-killers”. Nothing will kill WoW, except for WoW itself, and Blizzard are trying real hard to kill it off.

In any case, the TES game might be good. I reserve my final judgement for when I see actual gameplay.

11. YoungZer0

Yawn. Seriously, yawn. As if the World of Elder Scroll is actually interesting and not downright boring.

Anyway, it will probably fail, no chance against GW or WoW.

12. Phoenixblight

THey can barely make a stable single player so clearly the next logical step would be a MMO right?

13. OlderGamer

Best to just wait and see. Hard to judge a game no one has played.

14. Patrick Garratt

If there’s one brand that has a shot at being THE next-gen fantasy MMO, this is it. It’s going to be massive, however you roll it.

15. Stephany Nunneley

@11 I beg to differ. Granted, it’s not up there with Tolkien, Game of Thrones, or anything of the sort which can be considered almost “literary” it’s still interesting to many – myself included. All you have to do is read the books in the games to know this.

16. Erthazus

@Patrick Garrat,

If it’s going to be a generic WOW clone, then it’s not going to be THE next-gen fantasy.

Sure, brand is huge but at the same time Everquest I became huge at it’s time without being a big brand and so is Warcraft.

17. Klaxusprime

Will they go f2p?
    Will they stick to Wow-model and ruin elders scrolls’s freedom of putting objects on the ground, put things inside furnitures and steal other people’s stuff?
    PLEASE BETHESDA, STAY YOURSELF AND DON’T COPY OTHER MMORPGS!

And no, I’m not sorry for caps.. ;)

18. Stephany Nunneley

@17 The idea of being able to steal-at-will is an intriguing prospect. I would LOVE THAT!!!! Considering it’s part of the series’ gameplay I would hope it would not be cut. *crosses fingers*

19. Gekidami

Open warfare over the Emperor’s throne itself? How many players can you fit into a single chair?

20. YoungZer0

@15: Yeah, not going to happen. The last thing i’m going to do is reading books in a videogame, looking for an interesting story. The main story should be good, it should make me want to know more about the world. They never managed to do that, they won’t with the MMO.

Also i know i’m going to say something extremely controversial here but … i thought Lord of the Rings was pretty boring.

21. Phoenixblight

“… i thought Lord of the Rings was pretty boring.”

You are not the only one. I enjoyed The Hobbit far more than that series.

22. TheWulf

The funny thing is that I called it. I’ve pretty much always said that the reason they were wrestling rights away from Interplay was because they had their own Fallout MMO already in production. I’d have to be a damn fool to think that they’re developing new tech and an engine for just one IP, after all.

So, yeah, Fallout Online is inevitable. And that’ll be announced soon, too.

23. Klaxusprime

@18 Elders scrolls Online could then claim Ultima Online’s legacy and restore some lost realism and nice gruesomeness in the genre… Like cooking a poisoned pie and then offer it to your guildmaster :) I’m getting nostalgic.. come on Beth, bring it on!!!

24. TheWulf

Heh, I have to agree. Lord of the Rings was oh so very dull… the Hobbit had far more soul. The Hobbit felt like a labour of love, but the later books felt like Tolkien was riding on the popularity of his first, and just writing what he believed would be popular. (Wars, wars, fucking wars.)

25. DSB

Skyrim was mega ultra succesful, but an MMO isn’t the same thing.

If all you needed was a brand then SWTOR, LOTRO, DnD, DC Universe and WAR would’ve been blockbusters, and yet they’re all stumbling. The idea that “MMOs are easy” should’ve died a long time ago in my opinion.

Quite obviously you need more than just a popular brand and generic gameplay to win a subscription.

I reckon they’re going to face exactly the same challenges as everybody else. It’ll be profitable, thanks to the name, but it won’t be a blockbuster if they don’t move the game itself forward.

That’s ultimately what won it for WoW. The universe is cute and the brand is well known, but few people stay around for that.

26. TheWulf

I will add though that I do like the lore of the Elder Scrolls. Frankly I find it much more interesting than Tolkien. I was just agreeing with how Tolkien became boring tripe in his later books, really. Very populist fantasy… he should have stuck with what he was good at.

It would be like Pratchett trying to write a large scale war just because ‘wars are cool lol.’ You know? I’m glad that Pratchett has stuck to what he’s good at regardless of popularity, and in doing so he continues to be one of my favourite fantasy authors.

Though there is lore in the Elder Scrolls that’s pretty great. Bethesda are fantastic at world-building, they just really suck at story-telling. None of the main campaigns in any of their games have been fantastic. Morrowind was good, but it went downhill from there.

Did killing Alduin really have any impact for anyone? It really didn’t for me. There were far more memorable moments in the side-quests, really.

That’s what Bethesda needs – more writers.

27. Erthazus

@DSB, You are correct. But they have mighty producer from Dark Age of Camelot which is very sexy and they are working since 2007 on this MMO judging by the info.

In my opinion this should be

A) The best Fantasy MMO ever made

or

B) The Biggest Crapload of shit that will go f2p road in the end.

I think that is the only option for Bethesda here.

28. Edo

No thank you….they just couldn’t FUCKING resist could they….jeez.

29. Stephany Nunneley

@24 “felt like Tolkien was riding on the popularity of his first, and just writing what he believed would be popular…”

I am not going to get into an argument over any of this due to the fact opinions cannot be wrong because they are not a fact but I disagree with you – The Hobbit is read to grade school children due to it’s fun and simplicity. Tolkien intended LOTR to be the same, but while writing it the tale grew more serious which considering what was going on in the wold at the time it was no wonder.

Anyway – TES has a great story behind it, and the story is there in the gameplay if you pay attention to it YoungZero and it’s a bit funny as well. The books aren’t long either, if you decide to try it again I suggest the Lusty Argonian Maid for starters ;)

30. Erthazus

“the Lusty Argonian Maid”

is a true masterpiece. There are three parts if i’m not mistaken.

31. Stephany Nunneley

@30 I am thinking 2 – lemme look it up.

EDIT: “In The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, this appeared as a single book, however in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim it appears as two separate volumes: Volume 1, Volume 2.”

There we go! Internet to the rescue. :D

32. polygem

will be MASSIVE….i plan to say goodbye to real life for bungies DESTINY though.

33. shogoz

Wow what a load of shit this will be. Not only that but not one person’s comments has convinced me otherwise.

34. YoungZer0

@26: Not more, better. They definitely need better writers. They are complete amateurs when it comes to that. The opening scene of Skyrim is a prime example of how not to start a game.

@29: I actually read that and it was rather funny. Still, that won’t change my opinion about the whole thing. I’ll care little for the lore as long as the main stories are told so poorly.

Witcher 2 did it good. You’re a real part of the story and it is actually interesting, especially the backstory of the elves.

There are so many better ways to tell a story other than text. A book opening up, with some rough sketches and some voice-over of the criminally underused Christopher Plummer. That would’ve been amazing.

35. Frank17

*YAWN* bring on the glitches and freezing.

36. Frank17

O ya and I can’t wait to see the monthly fee for this garbage

37. GwynbleiddiuM

meh, I can’t imagine it’ll be any different than most MMOs out there. If anything the story would be a tad boring, Imbalance is TES must have these days, and also 1 dude will voice everyone.

Sorry, not interested until I see something that is hugely different than everything I’m playing right now, WoW, SWTOR and soon D3 and maybe GW2.

38. Erthazus

Leaked from Gameinformer.

SCREENSHOTS, INFORMATION.

Looks like a Generic fantasy piece of SHIT that i will not buy (probably) or looks like Kingdoms of Amalur but with shiny visuals.

39. YoungZer0

@38: Hahaha, it looks exactly like Kingdoms of Amalur, but with washed out colours.

40. Erthazus

@39, i’m blown away and they are developing this… since 2007?

Good job, lol.

41. HighWindXIX

The idea of it sounds great but we’ll see. I think I would enjoy co-op more than a full on MMO. Something along the lines of Borderlands or Dark Souls, but with classic TES gameplay. Oh well.

42. Phoenixblight

@38 and 39

You can’t judge a game that is in development and still has a year to go lots of things happen within a year they would be in early alpha stage which means not all the assets would be in.

43. Yourmotherfollowsmeontwitter

That’s fucking stupid! Why the fuck don’t they release this on consoles PC already gets console commands now they get multilayer what a bunch of fucking bull shit!!

44. Cee

@43 I think you’ve got yourself a little lost with a console(gaming hardware) and console commands.

Oh shit..I’ve only just noticed

My momma follows you on twitter…how the hell are ya, old bean?

45. Yourmotherfollowsmeontwitter

@44 by console i mean PS3,and Xbox360

46. freedoms_stain

Cutting a deal with MS and Sony when the profitability of MMO’s can be really skimming close to the red line if you can’t garner enough subs for a long enough duration must make consoles really unattractive for MMO devs IMO.

MMO’s are pretty risky business, letting other companies take out without really putting anything in is not great business.

That’s if the game will even run on severely limited hardware.

47. chriscarver

Everyone is so mad about this.