Heller can summon, control Brawlers in Prototype 2

Wednesday, 18th April 2012 15:17 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Activision has released a new video for Prototype 2 which demonstrates the new Pack leader ability Heller can perform in the game. How it works, is he calls upon infected Brawlers and forces them to fight for him. Once summoned, Heller directs his these new allies to destroy tanks, helicopters other enemies, or whatever he needs them to do. They will follow his orders despite the danger to themselves. You can see how this works out for yourself below. Prototype 2 is out next week on PS3 and Xbox 360. The PC version releases in July.

1. TheWulf

Okay, I have to admit that that is fairly awesome.

So +1 for Prototype 2.

2. viralshag

@1, Did you play the first game? Despite its (minor imo) flaws I thought it was a great game. I had a ton of fun with the OP powers and mayhem you could cause.

This is looking great and I hadn’t realised it was out next week! Getting this day one fo shizzle.

3. DSB

The first game just felt unfinished in almost every regard.

For me it scraped by on the strength of the mechanics. No matter how ugly the city was or how 90′s everything looked, it was still awesome to run up skyscrapers and rain hell on people below.

Looks like Prototype 2 has been completely revamped in almost every way. I’m pretty damn excited about it. If it turns out to be rotten I’ll be gobsmacked.

4. viralshag

@3, Yeah it wasn’t the prettiest game, I’ll give you that but like you said – it was still awesome.

I hope they really pull it out of the bag. I also thought the memory/story progression was neat.

5. DSB

@4 It was cool, it kinda reminded me of World in Conflict (which was amazing for doing those cutscenes) but it was still too disjointed to really catch me.

If it had only been the graphics, it would’ve been amazing, but a lot of the encounters felt like they were about 3 beta iterations from where they needed to be.

A lot of people talk about that first fight with the supermutants. I just played through it again like two weeks ago, and I just felt like I had to cheese my way through it, staying in the air and relying on kicks to destroy the tanks. It needed a lot of work yet.

Thankfully it looks like Prototype 2 is going to be amazing.

6. G1GAHURTZ

HYPE!

7. TheWulf

Not everything has to get by on graphics alone. I made this point with To the Moon – sometimes graphics can take a second seat to just something being plain old fun. The game that preceded it, that one Hulk game, was really pretty sweet too… but it was also not graphically resplendent.

I don’t even think they should concentrate on graphical resplendence with a game like this – so long as there’s lots of interactivity with the environment, that’s what matters. This is one area where Saints Row: The Third suffered. It was graphically resplendent, but it had less overall gameplay variety than Saints Row 2 did (at least before the DLC started rolling in).

So really… it’s mechanics I want out of this. I’m also hoping that they haven’t forgot that the point of the game is that you’re pretty much a killer virus which is only pretending to be a person in order to aid with survival. That was one of the Sci-Fi hooks that drew me to the original Prototype, and it worked so, so well.

To be honest, I felt that the plot of Prototype went over a few heads, despite being so simple. It was kind of funny to watch Mercer’s drop into psychopathy, because the simulation of him was one of a pretty decent guy, but he couldn’t really understand why he kept doing horrible, terrible things. A lot of that was, of course, that he was just a puppet for the viral force that was controlling him.

Really, we weren’t genuinely the good guys in the original Prototype, frankly, there WERE no good guys in Prototype. All of this made the game powerful to me, conceptually. And it’s something they need to build upon. I want to know more about what drives the virus in Prototype 2 rather than what drives the person simulation.

I hope they have decent enough writers on board to actually manage that. If not, they need to hire someone who’s actually able to realise the potential of what they have. My major fear for Prototype 2 is that the writers aren’t going to realise the potential that the writers of the original game gave them. It’s a concept to live up to.

But yes, ripping up pavement as a chitinous monster and trying not to slaughter pedestrians (unless I needed to let off steam, but then I’d just reload) was fascinating – because the virus really didn’t give a shit about people, only the person simulation did. Makes me wonder who has more control in the end.

So… you know, I’m actually mildly invested in the plot. But I can’t help but wonder if my imagination isn’t reading too much into the plot itself, and things that weren’t there. It was very vague. But if they don’t even try to play around with that concept a bit more, I may have to slap them.

HOWEVER… they have made Mercer the ‘bad guy,’ so chances are they actually understood about their own story what I did.

Still, even if worst turns to worst, it’ll indubitably be fun to play.

Hrnn… more thoughts.

So, I remember some people being disappointed at Mercer being the bad guy in this. Don’t understand that. Seems to be natural progression.

I think that the problem is humancentricity, if a person sees a human face, then they naturally assume a human. But Alex Mercer died before the first game began, he was consumed alive by the virus – he became nothing more than a biomass – the virus basically assimilated his memories and used those to simulate something which could be like Alex Mercer but really wasn’t.

Throughout the game we saw the sanity of the Mercer simulation slipping through the cracks – and by the end of the first game he’s clearly lost it, and he recognises that he’s a monster. Some kind of integration between virus and Mercer simulation has occurred, and he actually, finally understands what he is. This is interesting, because I’d even go so far as to say that for the vast majority of Prototype, Mercer (the simulation) wasn’t even self-aware.

The virus was self-aware, yes, but the simulation was just a mask. But what I think we’re seeing at the end of Prototype is a gestalt entity of Mercer simulation and virus. Goodness knows what that could turn into.

You could do all sorts of interesting things with a story like that.

It would be especially funny if the motivations of the virus (thus explaining the first game) were:

A.) Survival, simple as, not wanting to die out and lose an entire species. As this is something that drives us all.

B.) That memories/experiences are a narcotic, an addiction, and the virus is driven to assimilate more.

Going to stop talking about Prototype now, even though it interests me.