Amsterdamned: Darksiders II in brand new HD gameplay

Thursday, 22nd March 2012 16:00 GMT By Patrick Garratt

VG247 video editor Sam Clay went to Holland to see Darksiders II and came back some amazing HD gameplay and an interview with the art director. It’s hotter than Hell: head inside to see what happened when Death did the ‘Dam.

Darksiders II is one of THQ’s big core bets for the year, adding many RPG elements to the pure Zelda-ish dungeon-crawling of the original and switching protagonist from War to Death.

All the footage you’ll see above was captured at the game’s first hands-on session in Amsterdam last week. Check the video for our chat with art director Han Randhawa, direct capture of Death’s new inventory, the new traversing system, riding on constructs to demolish paths to inaccessible areas and an epic boss fight with a “big lad”.

Darksiders II will ship on June 26 in North America and June 29 in Europe for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

1. nofear360

Can’t wait, loved the first one!

2. Patrick Garratt

I saw this in San Francisco at the beginning of the month. Genuinely excited for it. So much more to it than the first one.

3. Blerk

Well, that’s looking pretty great. And they’ve added Prince of Persia into the list of “games we nicked cool shit from” this time, I see!

4. Patrick Garratt

Odd they didn’t show the combat in that footage. It’s got floaty numbers showing damage above enemy heads now.

5. The_Red

Holy ****. Go VG! Seriously AWESOME start. Really, the first new video content starting with exclusive Darksiders 2 footage. FUCK YES.

Also, congrats to everyone at VG247.

6. The_Red

Also, I want to make love to those artwork / posters.

EDIT: At Pat. Are you sure they have floating numbers for damage? Like Borderlands and such?

7. ManuOtaku

This gen will be hard for me to pick the best new IP, with bayoneta, darksiders, kigdoms of amalur, shadow of the damned,torchlight, little king story,zack & wikki, muramasa, no more heroes, etc i cannot made up my mind really, which is related with the topic at hand, what a great game darksiders was , and i got the feeling the second instalenment will sore out the few issues the first game did had, therefore this game will be a possible goty IMHO.

8. Patrick Garratt

@5: :D @6: Yeah. RPG style. When you’re fighting mobs there are numbers coming off the heads of enemies, and there are training areas where you can hit dummies, etc, to see how your fiddling’s affected your weapon damage.

9. Sam Clay

@6 I can confirm that floaty numbers and health bars are present!

10. Joe Anderson

Great video Sam well done, although I’m extremely jealous that I wasn’t there. No bigger fan of Darksiders than me.

If you haven’t played the first you must the ending is epic.

Looking forward to getting hands on with this, seeing in on video at Gamescom even had me excited.

11. Moonwalker1982

Well i’ll be damned, in my country :D

12. OrbitMonkey

Thought I was watching Shadow of the Colossus at the end there. Except a lot more fun and not so up its own arse ;-)

13. nofear360

@3: Devil May Cry 4 too (the hand/gauntlet for crossing gaps)

14. jldoom

This one’s looking pretty good! I never got around to playing the 1st one, but now I should be able to get it in the bargain bin for cheap.

15. mehdidante

looks like the studio got new sculpters .

16. viralshag

I can’t wait for this game… War was cool but Death just looks awesome.

17. The_Red

@8 and @9 Thanks for the update and info.

I was already sold on this game. Now, it’s double sold. Seriously, even in a game like Dead Island these floating numbers are a good thing.

18. KAP

Loved the first, I even platinum’d it I think..
    My question is though is that meant to be thee death? And if so, why is he even “fighting” as opposed to damning his foes to the underworld……. and all that!

19. Sam Clay

@18 I suppose we are yet to find out! ;)

20. MegaGeek1

The guys at Vigil ooze talent. Some might argue they “borrow” from other games, and yea they do, but to do it with such imagination and freshness almost makes it feel like a fan service.

Anyone who is a fan of Videogames, Comics, Cartoons, Manga, etc. should be excited for this game.

21. Edo

Looks spectacular,thank you Sam Clay!

22. DSB

It looks too much like the original to really get me excited about it.

Great piece though. Production values wholly unfit for VG247 (I’m thinking of the bulletcast here).