Battlefield 3: Close Quarters has no Rush mode, only “Conquest Domination”

Saturday, 17th March 2012 18:31 GMT By Dave Oshry

For those of you who were hoping to do some close quarters M-COM arming in the latest Battlefield 3 expansion, we’ve got bad news.

MP1st sussed this news out of the latest entry of the Inside DICE developer series in which Close Quarters lead designer Niklas Fegraeus said that:

“We also had to tackle the challenges of bringing our tried and tested game modes to the smaller scale.  We understood quickly that Rush, being a large and progressive mode that takes you on a journey from M-COM to M-COM, simply wouldn’t fit physically. So instead, we turned our attention to Conquest.  How could we tailor this essential Battlefield game mode to fit our new type of environment?”

So, there’s no standard Rush and no standard Conquest modes in Close Quarters.  What you get instead is a new mode called Conquest Domination.  This mode is more or less conquest done on a smaller scale.  Niklas elaborated on the matter:

“In particular, flag defense is suddenly more important, and you get different tactical layers due to the subtle differences the new mode provides. It’s reminiscent of those tactics I practiced to perfection in my e-sports days. Listen for the footsteps, spray the wall, throw your grenade, cover one angle each and constantly communicate. The experience grows with our tried and tested squad play mechanics, and the intensity and pure challenge of trying to dominate these close quarters is something I’m convinced will put even the best squads to the test.

We wanted the thrill of fighting in close quarters. We wanted the adrenaline rush that comes from always being one second from potential death. We wanted the world around you to be both your best friend and mortal enemy, by protecting you in one moment and in the next, completely failing you by opening up new ways for the enemy to attack.”

So there you have it.  Conquest Domination in Close Quarters.

Not buying into it?  Well, if you’re saddened by the lack of Rush and not intrigued by the thought of Conquest Domination, there’s always TDM, right?

Also, if this expansion has you missing your beloved vehicle combat, Niklas had this to say:

“For those of you who feel that a close combat experience is not what you are looking for, keep your eyes on the Armored Kill expansion we have in the making. I can confidently say you’ll get your epic scale vehicle fix with that expansion pack!”

1. Talkar

Am i the only one who thinks DICE shits on the proper devs when they call their DLC for expansions? I mean, look at for example The Frozen Throne, it added such a huge amount of content, that completely changed the game, in every respect. Here we get what is essentially 1/10th of that amount.

2. Dave Oshry

@1 It’s all DLC to me. Downloadable content is downloadable!

3. roni1175

I wonder how much $$$ it will cost…

4. thesamy

somtimes i feel they dont care and any more afther reading this i realy hope this dlc will fail to sell .

5. Dave Oshry

@4 I played a bit of Close Quarters at GDC. It’s really a TDM focused bit of DLC to draw in more CoD type players. However, everything you love about Battlefield 3 is present, unless of course you’re talking about large scale battles and vehicle combat… there’s none of that :-p

6. ejams

Well this doesn’t really affect me personally since I only play TDM and Conquest anyways, but I feel for the other players. Honestly though, it really wouldn’t have made any sense to put Rush indoors, it just wouldn’t work (Unless they switched it around a bit and made it so that you had to disable a bomb on a vault in a bank, or disable some sort of chemical weapon/bombs around a building).

7. ItsFade

I will probably get it for the new weapons but this is pretty fucking disappointing, I love playing Rush.

8. KAP

How can a small closed in map have rush dude?!
    Defeats the bloody purpose doesn’t it.

9. ItsFade

I assumed it would be like the regular Battlefield 3 maps where the size scales depending on the mode. For example Damavand Peak on conquest doesn’t even have half the map size compared to the Rush version of it. I thought with skyscraper map in the DLC trailer MCOM’s could have be on multiple floors in the building perhaps.

There is also the fact that every map in Battlefield 3 supports the same modes. (minus Conquest Assault on DLC maps) so excuse me for using logic.

10. DarkPyroZXA

omg, i can’t wait, while i really don’t like Conquest Assault cuz if the entire caps all the flags your fucked for 1:30 secs till you spawn, just to be killed 5 mins later and still have no open flags to spawn on, then need to fix CA so that you still have a base to spawn on, or its just pointless, so i hope Conquest Domination lets you spawn if the opposing team caps all the flags, IM SO EXCITED FOR THE WEAPONS THO, AUG, SPAZ-12, ACW-R, WTAR-25 are just a few that i saw from the trailer, oh, and @3 it will probably cost the same as B2K

11. M. K.

Very fine DICE, the only problem is, that your game is slow as fuck on consoles, so you should keep Battlefield as it is. If I want to run around, knife and kill people like a mad man, I’ll stick with CoD.

This DLC is just going to be some USAS clusterfuck :D [/nobuy]