Baldur’s Gate website to reveal more at 7.00pm UK time

Wednesday, 14th March 2012 20:18 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Just a friendly reminder from VG247′s resident Baldur’s Gate fan, that Beamdog’s teaser website will reveal itself at 7.00pm UK time today. At present, it’s still just the eerie music and a lovely skull logo, but today, as if by magic, the next step for the beloved RPG franchise will appear. The last outings in the series were for consoles: 2001′s stellar title from Snowblind, Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance and 2004′s Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance II from Black Isle Studios.

1. Ercarret

When I saw that I began shouting so much (in caps lock) on Twitter that I actually lost some followers. But I can take that! It’s Baldur’s Gate!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!

2. DSB

I actually made a Beamdog account and everything just so I could get MDK 2 HD.

Whatever happened to games like that? The HD remake is really, really good. Games might have gotten bigger and more expensive, but they’ve rarely gotten better than the games of that era. Truly the golden age if you ask me.

3. Stephany Nunneley

I would just cry buckets of joy for an HD version of the BG series. I really, really would.

4. DSB

I’m there with you, but how can you make an HD version of Baldurs Gate?

You’d have to rebuild the whole game in a new engine. And Baldurs Gate is huge!

I think a PC port of Dark Alliance would be a lot more likely.

5. Maximum Payne

@4 Well yea, but I don’t is that hard they already have core design for everything similar for Halo Anniversary.
    But I would also love Dark Alliance before Diablo 3 :D

6. Stephany Nunneley

…”a PC port of Dark Alliance….” YES PLEASE.

One of the only reasons I still dig out the old PS2 on the odd year or so.

EDIT: Well, that and God of War 1 & 2, and Armed and Dangerous.

7. LOLshock94

@DSB im sure ive seen you comment saying hd ports are lazy and shit….

8. hitnrun

Not to nitpick, but the eerie music is just music from Baldur’s Gate 1.

OK, so I nitpicked.

9. Ercarret

Dark Alliance? Were those games any good? I always saw them as the weird “let’s dumb it down for consoles!” cousins to the “real” BG series. But I never played them, so maybe I’m way off.

10. Talkar

Update the article! It won’t update by magic. It will use some lazy function :P

function calc_start_time()
    {
    var now = new Date();
    var endTime = new Date(‘March 15, 2012 12:00 GMT-0700′);

var sec = (endTime – now)/1000;

if ( sec <= 0 ) {
    return "0:00:00";
    }
    var hours = parseInt( sec / 3600 );
    var minutes = parseInt( sec / 60) % 60;
    var seconds = parseInt(sec % 60);

var result = (hours < 10 ? "0" + hours : hours ) + ":" + (minutes < 10 ? "0" + minutes : minutes ) + ":" + (seconds < 10 ? "0" + seconds : seconds);
    return result;
    }

Magic sounded like more fun…

11. hitnrun

@Ercarret: They were disappointing to me coming off of BG — that’s what happens when you appropriate a legendary brand to sell a different game — but they were good games in their own right. I remember them fondly, even if they were entirely different from the Infinity Engine experience. More like a move of Diablo to 3D.

12. Stephany Nunneley

@8 I think I know what it is.. and yes it is eerie. It stands. :P :P

@10 I bet you are a blast at parties…. :D :D

@9 The PC titles were the best, but the Snowblind version was VERY good for a console game. It really was. Sorry to say, but skip the 2nd one.

13. DSB

@7 I wouldn’t be surprised. A lot of them are really lazy, which just makes MDK 2 stand out even more. It’s done by a tiny team (if there even was a team) and they obviously took their time and did it right.

I don’t mind that, but in a lot of cases, the HD remakes are so bad that there’s no reason why you wouldn’t just play the original.

@Steph I’m pretty sure I played Armed and Dangerous on PC.

Yup… Just checked – Did.

14. K-V-C

awww the memories lol !!!!!

15. fearmonkey

@Stephany – I would LOVE a new Dark Alliance game. I loved that series.

16. Edo

Baldur’s Gate – Dark Alliance was just pure awesomeness,especially the first one and it ‘s the last game I played on PS2.

17. YoungZer0

What’s with the love for Dark Alliance? That game bore the fuck out of me. The camera didn’t help and neither did the poor combat mechanics.

18. NeoSquall

the site just exploded, rotfl