Radical aiming for 4 million sales with Prototype 2

Thursday, 8th March 2012 13:41 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Prototype 2 developer Radical Entertainment has said its aiming for 4 million sales for the New York-set action sequel.

The number was mentioned in an MCV interview by studio VP Dave Fracchia following sales of 2.1 million for the original.

“We sold 2.1m copies of the first game and our expectations are much higher for this one,” he said. “I would roughly say we’re looking at between 1.5 to two times [that]. I would obviously like to see it higher than that.”

With April being relatively quiet for new releases, Fracchia added the release of P2 would mean it’d “literally” own the month.

“There were a few games that were getting hints about potentially being released during April, but they’ve all kind of moved, so we literally own April.”

Prototype 2 launches in April for PS3 and 360, with the PC version to follow afterwards.

1. mickey2002

4 Seems like a decent target, can’t see them getting much more thou, won’t sell 5+

2. Phoenixblight

Really? The original barely hit a million. I doubt this game will hit even close to 5 million.

3. DSB

Still, what they’ve shown so far has looked great. If it’s as good as it looks, it’ll make a pretty penny.

4. G1GAHURTZ

Really? The original barely hit a million.

Try reading the article…

After playing the first one through to the end, this is on my day 1 purchase list.

5. Phoenixblight

I was talking about when it initially had released not over the period of 2 years.

I will not be buying this game. I had learned my lesson with the original Prototype and it being a half baked platformer. Steam sale for 5$ is the only way I will buy it.

6. Thalius

4million is this guy high?! The first was the crappiest games i’ve ever played…. (IMO)

7. cloud_ix

hated the first one too

8. Edo

Good luck with that.

9. TheWulf

Well… this just goes to show that some gamers are crazy xenophobes.

Yeah, talking about you guys. Sorry.

I mean, a developer gives us something genuinely different, and it’s hated on because it isn’t some idiot soldier with a ‘reel wurld’ gun. That does piss me off, I’m sorry. I’m getting to the point where I’m wondering if somehow a good chunk of us humans these days are born without an imagination.

I commented on this in another thread, on how people are so creatively limited. Small, real world dreams and nothing beyond that. No sense of wonder, no sense of romance, no appreciation of anything that tries to break out of the norm and create a paradigm shift.

Yes, Prototype wasn’t ‘TEH GREATEST GAME EVAR.’ Of course it wasn’t. But it wasn’t a bad game by any stretch of the imagination. And any game that lets me run up the side of a skyscraper is okay by me. Again, no sense of wonder at all.

To be honest, I think that for moments like that, for those brilliant moments of going beyond what a human can do in Prototype, was worth the entry price alone. I thought the parkour, flying, and running around was worth it. It’s something that I honestly believe that a lot of developers could learn from.

But again, it’s something that a lot of gamers likely won’t appreciate, what with their rabid xenophobia.

I’m going to go and be all bitter, now.

10. Kabby

Yeah he’s delusional. If they equal the sales for the first game they should consider that a fortunate outcome.

11. Lounds

I Doubt it’s as good as Infamous 2 which was fantastic.

12. Phoenixblight

Get over yourself and your elitist attitude. Yes the game had some cool concepts but concepts do not get you sales alone there also comes implementation which the original was sorely lacking along with so much in game ads that it broke the suspension of disbelief. I did not know NY was made of Gamestop, Gamecrazy and Hollywood video. They should have looked at Alan Wake on how to tastefully do in game ads.