Bioware and Razer announce Mass Effect 3 branded peripherals and gear

Thursday, 16th February 2012 16:51 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Bioware and Razer have announced a line of peripherals and gear created and branded for Mass Effect 3.

The Razer Mass Effect 3 Edition peripheral line includes a Razer Imperator gaming mouse, Razer Vespula dual-sided gaming mouse mat, Razer BlackWidow Ultimate gaming keyboard, Razer Onza Tournament Edition Xbox 360 controller, and the Razer Chimaera Xbox 360 gaming headset.

The gear line also includes a hard protection case customized for the iPhone 4/4S, and a N7 messenger bag for storage all emblazoned with the N7 design logo.

It all looks very sexy, to be honest, as you will see in the gallery below.

All peripherals can be pre-ordered now, and all the information you would ever need to know regarding each piece is posted below along with the price.

Mass Effect 3 Razer Imperator Ergonomic Gaming Mouse

Price: €79.99; Availability: Razerzone.com – Pre-Order Now – Worldwide – March 2012

Product features:

• 6400dpi 4G Dual Sensor System
  • Rubberized contoured thumb grip for added control
  • Ergonomic right-handed design
  • Adjustable side buttons
  • Razer Synapse Onboard Memory
  • Up to 200 inches per second/50g acceleration
  • Seven independently programmable Hyperesponse buttons
  • On-the-Fly Sensitivity adjustment
  • Zero-acoustic Ultraslick mouse feet
  • Approx. size in mm; 123(l) x 71(w) x 42(h)

Mass Effect 3 Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

Price: €139.99; Availability: Razerzone.com – Pre-Order Now - Worldwide – March 2012

Product Features:

• Full mechanical keys with 50g actuation force
  • Individually backlit keys with 5 levels of lighting
  • 1000Hz Ultrapolling / 1ms response time
  • Programmable keys with on-the-fly macro recording
  • Gaming mode option for deactivation of the Windows key
  • 10 customizable software profiles with on-the-fly switching
  • 5 additional macro keys
  • Gaming optimized key matrix for minimized ghosting
  • Multi-media controls
  • Braided cable
  • Audio-out / Mic-in jacks
  • USB-passthrough
  • Approx. size in mm: 475(L) x 171(W) x 30(H)
  • Weight: 1.5kg

Mass Effect 3 Razer Vespula Dual-Sided Gaming Mouse Mat

Price: €34.99; Availability: Razerzone.com – Pre-Order Now - Worldwide – March 2012

Product features:

• Non-slip, anti-reflective, abrasion-resistant hard coat
  • SPEED surface for faster mouse movements
  • CONTROL surface for precise mouse movements
  • Comes with a gel-filled wrist rest
  • Approximate Size : 320 mm / 12.61” (Length) x 260 mm / 10.24” (Width) x 20 mm / 0.79” (Height)
  • Approximate Weight: 332 g / 0.73 lbs

Mass Effect 3 Onza Tournament Edition Xbox 360 Gaming Controller

Price: €59.99; Availability: Razerzone.com – Pre-Order Now - Worldwide – March 2012

Product features:

• 2 Adjustable resistance analog sticks
  • 2 Multi-Function Buttons (MFB)
  • 4 backlit Hyperesponse action buttons
  • Precision D-Pad
  • Non-slip rubber surface
  • Quick release USB connector
  • 15 foot, lightweight, braided fiber cable
  • Approx. size in mm: 109(L) x 154(W) x 60.5(H)

Mass Effect 3 Razer Chimaera Xbox 360 5.1 Wireless Gaming Headset

Price: €209.99; Availability: Razerzone.com – March 2012 -Worldwide – March 2012

Product features:

Wireless Headset

• Circumaural Design with 50mm Driver Units
  • Volume & Mic Control Buttons on the Headset
  • 3 Preset EQ
  • Detachable 2.5mm Microphone Cable
  • Dimensions: 200mm(Width) x 204mm(Height) x 88mm(Depth)
  • Inner Ear Cup Diameter: 55 mm / 2.16”
  • Approximate Weight (including batteries): 369 g / 0.81 lbs

Headphones

• Radio Frequency: 5.8GHz
  • Dolby Headphone / Dolby Pro Logic II / Dolby Digital
  • Wireless Range: 33ft / 10m
  • Frequency Response: 20 – 20,000 Hz
  • Impedance: 32O at 1kHz
  • Sensitivity (1kHz, 1V/Pa): 105dB +/- 2dB
  • Drivers: 50 mm, with Neodymium Magnets
  • Batteries: 2 AAA Batteries (Up to 8 Hours Battery Life)
  • Charging Time: 3 Hours

Microphone

• Frequency Response: 130 – 10,000 Hz
  • Sensitivity (1kHz, 1V/Pa): -42 ± 2dB
  • Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >55 dB
  • Pick-up Pattern: Uni-directional

Hardware Requirements

Xbox 360: Available Optical Port

PC

• RCA to 3.5mm Cable
  • Available 3.5mm Headphone Jack
  • Available 3.5mm Microphone Jack
  • RCA to 3.5mm cable required and sold separately

Mass Effect 3 iPhone 4 Protection Case by Razer

Price: €24.99;  Availability: Razerzone.com – March 2012 - Worldwide – March 2012

Product features:

• Heavy duty silicone protection for your iPhone 4 from the elements
  • Rubberized finish for better grip
  • Mass Effect 3 inspired design

Mass Effect 3 Razer Messenger Bag

Price: €79.99; Availability: Razerzone.com – March 2012 - Worldwide – March 2012

Product features:

• Armored with a tear-resistant, weather-proof heavy duty 1680D ballistic nylon outer shell
  • Water-resistant TPU inner lining for added durability
  • Single shoulder sling design for added mobility
  • Built in compartments for up to 15″ laptops, gaming peripherals and portable gaming devices.
  • Durable inner lining protects electronic devices and provides ample shock absorbency while on the road

1. viralshag

I’d rather you just let me play the game on the PC with my pad.

2. DSB

Got milk?!

3. triggerhappy

@ 1: +1000 :P

4. Phoenixblight

@1 All of ME games on the PC have never supported controllers. Best bet is to get a third party software like Xpadder and playing it that way.

5. GrimRita

Damn its not cheap at all. and viral – that made me spit out my tea! lol

6. viralshag

I’m actually really annoyed that I found out there’s no pad support today haha. I was really really hoping there would be as I have been playing through both ME1 and 2 on the PC recently and I wanted to get ME3 for the PC too.

And the reason I want pad support is because I wanted to play this on my big TV, relaxing on my bed.

It’s just laziness from Bioware imo. I don’t get how such a big dev, releasing a multi-platform game like this can’t include pad support. Skyrim, Amalur and even that bloody LotR: War in the North game seamlessly switch from M&K to pad…

LAZY!

7. GrimRita

Its probably money more than lazy. This way they can sell the overpriced keyboard/mouse/mat but they should really let players use their controllers like most PC games do today.

8. Phoenixblight

None of Bioware games have had COntroller support so it is not a conspiracy theory. You can play on whatever mouse and keyboard set up you have. SO it is not a more money thing. Razor licensed the ME franchise in order to sell their over priced hardware just like they did with Starcraft 2. And its not laziness, they created a completely different UI set up specifically made for the KB and Mouse unlike most developers who do nothing and port the Console UI to the PC like Skyrim.

9. NeoSquall

I actually dig the messenger bag, it’s looks way better than the SC2 one.
    At least I paid it 5 Euros at a faire, lol :P

10. viralshag

@9, Not gonna lie, I agree with you on the bag. I don’t think the mouse pad is that bad either.

@8, It is laziness. Even BF3, another game on the PC that didn’t support pads tried to pull something out of the bag. I’m still failing to see any good reason why it’s not included… like it is in almost every other RPG on the PC these days.

11. Phoenixblight

@10 Use Xpadder if it is so troublesome. I have multiple friends that have used that program for games that don’t support controllers.

12. viralshag

@11, Good for your friends. But why should I do something that’s quite easy for the dev to do?

It’s not exactly asking them to radically change the game is it? What’s wrong with giving players the option with proper support? Why shouldn’t they do it? And why should I not expect them to do something that most other devs do?

13. Phoenixblight

“Good for your friends. But why should I do something that’s quite easy for the dev to do?”

Oh right because you have experience in that sort of thing, I forgot. Bioware had said a year and half ago that ME3 on the PC would not support controller but instead have a UI created with the KB and Mouse in mind this has been their design since the original ME. I was just giving a suggestion for you to get your way. Sorry for trying to be nice.

14. TheWulf

You’re missing the point. Without you immediately getting angry, can I tell you why?

They’re doing what Valve are doing. Whilst I love Valve, I think that Valve sometimes tries too hard to be popular, and it can piss the majority off. See, Valve REMOVED (please note the emphasis) pad support from Portal 2 (something that was in earlier versions of Portal 2) to please the supposed PC Master Race.

This intellectually superior bullshit that some PC users have going on really bugs me, like using a gamepad is below them. The thing is is that I can only imagine that they’re kids. I mean, I understand wanting proper keybinding controls, I SUPPORT that, but why do it at the expense of adding gamepad support? Why can’t we have both?

Anyway, I can only imagine that they’re kids (or a decade younger than me, at least) because back when I used to play on home computers, we had these things called JOYSTICKS. And it was of the norm (and completely acceptable) to plug a six-button Mega Drive gamepad into an Amiga to play the Amiga version of Street Fighter II.

Seriously, what happened?

When did PC gamers become so incredibly obnoxious and superior-to-thou?

It actually bothers me, some days, because it means that people who enjoy playing games on pads are automatically screwed. What Bioware are doing is trying to appeal to the PC Master Race subset in order to help their game sell. But what Bioware does not realise is that this group of people is pretty much a minority.

I mean, for every console-hating elitist, you’re going to have at least 40 people who’re okay with it. You’re going to have 40 TotalBiscuits who’ve often expressed dismay at this sort of opinion. There’s really nothing wrong with a gamepad. The gamepad is not a sin.

Try playing Sonic Generations, Shank 2, or Gatling Gears WITHOUT a gamepad. I mean, honestly? They made valiant attempts at keyboard controls, they really did. I’m impressed at how hard Klei tried, but at the end of the day it feels like playing Streets of Rage on a keyboard. There are better ways to play it.

Yes, there are some games that a gamepad actually works better for than a keyboard & mouse, and then there’s personal preference, there may be people who prefer sitting back with a gamepad.

I think that Bioware need to have a good, long think about this and then come out with a statement that they’re adding gamepad support, with the added sentiment that they no longer want to appeal to the PC ‘elite’, because by doing so they’re hurting the rest of their customers.

Provide choice, Bioware. CHOICE. I know you fail at choice, but at least try. Let people choose what they want to use.

The point here is is that if Klei (the Shank developers) can at least try to throw in various input options, then why can’t Bioware? They could have both. They could have the game switch UI based upon your input method. It would not be hard.

15. Phoenixblight

I have never played the PC elite card. I am just saying that Bioware’s trend since ME has always been a separate UI for the PC and then the console. Bioware has said in the forums they feel it is better this way that is clearly up to the developer. It apparently doesn’t hurt their sales looking at the number of units they have sold on the PC.

“It would not be hard.”

I have yet to see a game that switches UI based on controls used. You always have the pick of console UI put on PC like Skyrim or a PC UI on the console like KOTOR. There has yet to be a choice in UI at least for the PC.

“Without you immediately getting angry, can I tell you why?”

I am not angry nor was I at any of my responses. I don’t care what people prefer. They have options; use 3rd party software to map a gamepad to the game, use KB&M, or don’t buy the game. Those are the only choices since the game is now gold and likelihood of Bioware adding controller support is very slim looking at their previous games on the PC.

16. Maximum Payne

So let me get that strait: Mass Effect is shooter its not RPG right according to haters ? but all of sudden everybody want to play it with gamepad ?

17. DSB

Most developers don’t have problems adding gamepad support to their games.

I don’t think it has anything to do with an international conspiracy to rid the world of gamepads like Wulf, but that’s apparently how Bioware makes games these days.

Seems like making things a lot harder than they need to be, but again, that’s their loss. Bioware doesn’t seem to have a problem being outdone these days.

@16 “Everybody” – There’s your problem. People widely disagree on when to take the gamepad out. For some people it’s fighting games, for some people it’s racing games, for some people it’s one TPS, for some people it’s another TPS.

That’s the reason why you put the option in there, because people aren’t likely to agree on one or the other.

18. daytripper

Going to get the 360 pad, hope they or another manufacturer do a Vita skin in the future

19. freedoms_stain

@15, when I play Deus Ex I use my gamepad for most of the running around and shit, and I switch to my mouse for Hacking, it’s a seamless transition, when I shake my mouse the cursor appears and all button prompts switch to PC related or mouse clickable things instead of ABXY etc, and when I move a stick on my pad it all switches back.

Any particular reason Bioware couldn’t have done something similar?

20. Phoenixblight

Because they like making separate control schemes for each platform with UI that supports those control schemes. Not much else I can say that it is their design philosophy.

I guess with EDIOS outsourcing their boss fights they had enough time to make a control scheme like that.

21. xxJPRACERxx

If the UI is exactly the same for both PC and consoles then yes, it’s stupid they don’t support pads on PC. If the UI is built for PC with kb/m in mind then I understand.

If I had the choice of one but not both, I prefer a good UI built for PC rather than pad support.

22. viralshag

@21, The UI has some slight differences but absolutely nothing that could not get easily mapped to a pad.

@20, “Because they like making separate control schemes for each platform with UI that supports those control schemes.”

So why would it be so difficult for Bioware to do this? It’s hardly a game where you can really use a mouse strategically to its full advantage. You certainly couldn’t in ME1 or 2 on the PC, so I don’t fully understand the need for a completely different UI or a UI that supports either one or the other.

23. Phoenixblight

THe controller scheme on the console only allows 3 abilities + the combat wheel. The PC version allows you to use all your abilities with using the hotkeys(Top numbers) which allows you to not be constrained to 3 abilities. PC users can also use the scroll wheel to change weapons on the fly.

I personally prefer using the PC scheme over the console I don’t have to keep going to the combat wheel to change/use abilities or change weapons.

Bioware are the developers if they want to do it that way that is their choice. They have their own reasons for doing it that way.

24. viralshag

@23, What does the “constraints” of a control pad have to do with anything? The game is still practically identical no matter what method of control you use.

Just accept the fact that Bioware are lacking in the department of making a game that some PC players would rather use a pad for. Does this make them a lesser dev imo? Yes, completely.

Should I just accept the fact the game doesn’t have pad support? Yeah, of course, and I have. And that’s why I’m pissed off about it. All it means is another purchase for the console over what originally would be my preferred platform.

25. Phoenixblight

“What does the “constraints” of a control pad have to do with anything? The game is still practically identical no matter what method of control you use.”

THe console game you can only use 3 abilities on the fly if you want to use another one you have to go into the combat wheel to use or to map it to another button. That is what I am talking about with constraints. I get more choices of abilities or weapon that I can change with less downtime.

26. viralshag

@25, Yeah, That’s great and all… How would that change if they offered the use of a pad or/and M&K? I think you’re starting to miss the point.

I’m not that bothered about which is a better control method and why. I have played both ME1 and 2 on the PC and enjoyed them both. I would have enjoyed them MORE, however, had I been able to use my pad while playing it on my nice big TV. I could use xpadder but really I would just like to see it implemented properly.

I COULD play ME3 on my TV and use the M&K but it’s not what my preferred choice would be. I don’t see why it’s a big deal to expect more from developers the like of Bioware to make a game that I can play on the platform I want and play it the way I want.

Especially when other devs out there can make games such as Skyrim, DX:HR, Saints Row 3 and Amalur that allow both control methods and still end up being outstanding games.

It doesn’t make it a bad game and it doesn’t necessarily make them a bad dev but for me it would have made one of my favourite games even better.