Mass Effect 3 demo on 360 comes with temporary access to XBL Gold

Thursday, 2nd February 2012 19:23 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Bioware has announced a deal with Microsoft which will allow Silver members of Xbox Live to try out the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer demo. According to a post on the Bioware forums, the demo will come with Gold access when you download the demo – but only for a limited time. The demo for Mass Effect 3 launches February 14 on PSN and XBL.

1. Maxey

How about some PS Plus time too, eh Bioware? I guess Sony doesn’t bribe so much…

2. DaveDogg

@1 maybe you could be right but then of course PSplus & xbox live gold are very different things mainly gold pays for online access and the server moderation also the process of complaint handling and so forth not background downloads & free or cut price rental of arcade titles

3. Maxey

Do MP demos on 360 require a gold account to work?

4. Hcw87

No news regarding the 1 week early unlock of the demo?

5. Da Man

#1 It’s because on release the demos are available only to Gold members…

And yes, MP in demos requires Gold subscription, same as full games.

6. speedxl01

@3 Online play requires gold.

Adding my signature opinion.

I think MS is ripping off consumers (and all gaming community) charging for online play, they could offer free online play it’s just that they do not want to, because it’s a lot of extra revenue for them. (screw gamers, they even like it, ha, so they say..)

Let´s do some math, +10 millions pay for gold sub, at $50 dlls = $500,000,000 dlls (infrastructure costs??, then how does SONY to offer free online ??)

7. Phoenixblight

Thats business if people are willing to pay for something then why give it for free? Games to not run off of good will, they run off of money and what they can get from the consumer.

8. speedxl01

@7 We are not talking about games, the developers of the games get profit selling the games, And MS gets profit too for every game third’s and first party’s sell on the store and retail, from every console they sell, from advertising, etc..

The cost of providing online should be easily payed with less than a 10% of the profit they get from these sources, nevertheless they charge for it, and that’s ripping off consumers here and everywhere.

The problem lies in that people it’s not informed accurately about this.

Why not provide silver subscription with free online…??
    I’m in a crusade to support free online on 360, and stop MS from ripping of gamers.

9. Phoenixblight

I didn’t mention studios this is related to business in general. If consumers are willing to pay for it then there is no issue. Blame the subscribers not the company that offers the service. If no one was paying for gold then MS would be finding other avenues of money.

10. speedxl01

@9 That’s right, but if we start complaining about this, then maybe consumers will think about it, and hopefully force MS provide free online, that would be amazing, don’t you think?

And I believe gaming sites should be vocal about this too.

Don’t we all lose if every company follow what MS does and start charging for online play? providing less and charging more? Why should we support this?

11. Phoenixblight

@10 Get real. You are assuming that 10 million people are stupid. ANd that you are somehow smarter than them. Yeah…

12. speedxl01

@11 I’m not saying that they are stupid, most people want to play online their favorite games so they will pay.

But as it is really not justified for MS to charge for ONLINE, if enough pressure it’s made, they can provide it for the SILVER accounts.

I don’t get why you are against it.

13. Phoenixblight

Because MS offers a really good service that justifies for the subscription price. I get exclusive rewards and perks for having gold like demos a week early, or discounts off DLC. 50$ a year? I spend more on lunches in a month. I am able to play with friends on a really stable service and not only that I can do other things like watch a movie with them through the NEtflix service I also pay for.

You just seem to be angry that you can’t get on well there are other system you can play on, the PC and PS3.

14. Gadzooks!

I certainly wouldnt want XBL to be free. If it was free it would be like PSN: lacking features, constantly down and hacked.

Not being a pauper living on the streets, I have absolutely no problem paying the few pence a day it costs to keep XBL the unrivalled quality network it is.

If you think PSN is going to stay free you might want to see other news articles about Sonys monsterous losses from the gaming division.

Altruism and business simply do not mix.

15. freedoms_stain

It’s all a question of perspective.

XBL vs PSN is a very narrow perspective, in the wider scheme of things XBL Gold offers nothing that is worth its cost, especially with the ever decreasing library of new exclusives to play Online.

16. absolutezero

For what I pay a year for Gold in my opinion I should be allowed to turn off every single last piece of advertising, the entire thing should be using dedicated server and not P2P, the voice codec should be re-built from the ground up so its not utter shit.

A few tweaks here and there and it would be fine. Its not perfect, I doubt it ever will be. If people want to pay for it then good for them but I don’t think I have ever heard customers trying to say they would rather pay for something rather than it be free in any other media ever. It boggles my mind to try and even comprehend that, its almost unique to videogames. Bizarre.

17. daytripper

@15 i pay for it because i get a lot of enjoyment out of xbox live, i like the set up, the community, the design – everything. i dont mind paying for it and if sony made psn just as good and charged for it i would pay for that aswell.

18. Gadzooks!

#15

You are, of course, wrong.

Quality, stability and features not available on rival platforms make the insignificant fees totally worthwhile. Thats one of the main reasons why so many millions of multi-console owners choose to play online on 360 over PS3.

Its simply a better online system.

19. Gadzooks!

#16

Actually the ‘freemium’ model is becoming much more commonplace in many industries.

People are happy to pay for things if they know they are getting a better product/service than the free equivalent.

20. Joe Musashi

Hey @15 – I hope you understand that your opinion is wrong. That guy @18 said so. He seems a little over-defensive if you ask me though. Just my opinion, mind.

JM

21. freedoms_stain

@18, I get better quality, stability and features on PC from multiple competing providers without paying for access to any of them.

22. Gadzooks!

#21

I’m playing Civ2 right now. Send me a friend request, or MP game invite will ya?

What, you cant because there is no unified network?

Well that sucks.

23. freedoms_stain

@22, Was there a unified network for console multiplayer in 1996?

24. Gadzooks!

What relevance does 1996 have? None.

25. freedoms_stain

@24, Civilization 2 was released in 1996.

If you wanted to play a console game from 1996 though, who would know?

If I played a PC game from 1996 know who’d know? All my Steam friends and all my Raptr contacts. And maybe they wouldn’t be able to click on “join game” and be there instantly, but it wouldn’t be too many more steps. Not only that, but they’d be able to IM me or voice-chat in-game because the Steam overlay is agnostic as to whether the game is a Steam game or not and the Raptr overlay works with more or less anything.

26. speedxl01

@13,14,17 You can still get the same quality for online without paying, what MS spends for providing online it’s insignificant for all the revenue they get from all the sources I listed.

Got it?