Concerns raised over Modern Warfare 3 Elite maps locked to profile

Thursday, 26th January 2012 05:55 GMT By Mark Limburg

With elite maps being tied to a specific profile, rather than to the game itself, many owners of Modern Warfare 3 are calling foul. A sign of DLC things to come?

As seen over on the official Call of Duty forums, users are raising the fairly concerning issue of Elite DLC being locked to a specific profile, rather to the game itself.

DLC has fast become a norm within our gaming universe, allowing legitimate users to expand on their purchased game. It seems Activision/Infinity Ward has taken this one step further though, in what seems to be a requirement to purchase this latest DLC per *profile* that plays the game. Simply put, this means the content you legally purchased is not available to other users on your console. Strangely enough, this seems to be in conflict with the terms and conditions stated on purchase.

It is possible that this is just a glitch, although an official statement has yet to be made to clarify these concerns either way.

Thanks, Joystiq.

1. OrbitMonkey

Profile locking? Well that blows… :-(

2. DSB

I’m surprised that this wasn’t already in effect. I thought consoles were all about containment.

3. ManuOtaku

I just hope this is a misunderstanding relly, some sort of a glitch or something not intentional at all, becuase if it is true and was done with real intentions, the sad thing it will sell the same great numbers, and then it will become the standard of future DLC or this micro DLC, like DSB called it before i other topic(micro DLC).

4. Ireland Michael

Hahahahahaha!

And the sad thing? Most of you will still keep supporting Activision, even though they’ll continue to royally fuck you over, again and again and again….

5. freedoms_stain

What do they mean by “profile”?

6. OrbitMonkey

@Ireland, No I don’t think so. Myself and a group of mates got previous maps through group sharing on our ps3′s. Even though that has been cut down by Sony to only 2 people at a time, it’s still a saving that this would fuck over.

Not only that what if you play with more than one profile? You buy them over and over? Fuck that. More worryingly is that CoD will be a franchise others will copy if this to become Activisions standard practice.

I really like CoD TDM, depressingly so sometimes, but I do not like the sound of this one little bit…

7. Fin

So you were all (bar the person who originally bought them) essentially pirating the map packs? I’ve no sympathy for you. Don’t like the price, don’t buy it, don’t find grey ways of getting round it.

Why anyone would ever play with more than one online profile is beyond me. Having a second alt-region account, fine, but playing with it? Pointless.

8. Ireland Michael

@5 Other profiles (PSN or Xbox Live accounts) on your console won’t be able to use this content. They’d either have to get their own Elite subscription or download it themselves when it comes out.

9. freedoms_stain

@8, I honestly thought that was standard practice for all console dlc.

10. OrbitMonkey

@Fin. Yes having more than one profile on a console is dum right? Families and partners sharing your machine is just downright stupid!! Freedom of choice? Fuck you!! Cuz Fin doesn’t “get it”…

Ahh the intellectual posturing of teens… Classic :-P

11. OrbitMonkey

Thinking about this though, I think it might only be the content you get as a *elite* member that will be locked, as your membership is locked to a particular profile.

The map-packs on the other hand should be unaffected… So if your cheap like me, you and a friend should still be able to make a saving ;-)

12. Fin

PEDANTIC SENTENCE EXAMINATION TIME!!!

“Not only that what if you play with more than one profile?”

“You” here implies the third person singular.
    Apologies if I was mistaken, I assumed you would’ve said “What if more than one person wants to play on one machine”, rather than “What if someone wants to play using two different accounts”.

13. OrbitMonkey

^ oh so multiple people ok, but more than one profile not ok… Because you don’t “get it”…

A lot more rational that… ;-)

14. Fin

Er I don’t think I said anywhere it was ok?

15. OrbitMonkey

^ Oh I thought you was ok with more than one person sharing a machine? Hmm whatever. Agree to disagree ;-)

16. Ireland Michael

@7 “So you were all (bar the person who originally bought them) essentially pirating the map packs?”

Please tell me this is a joke.

So if my kids wants to play N+ or Trails HD on my Xbox 360, I should have to register each of them on Xbox Live, individually buy the game two more times for both of them, and then download it two more times to the HDD, just so they can have the privilege of playing it?

What next? Each person should pay individually to watch a movie on TV?

@9 No.

On the 360, all profiles on a console have access to whatever games, themes, gamerpics, etc. were originally downloaded to that machine. If you get a new 360, you can transfer the licenses over to the new machines.

On the PS3, content can be made available to all profiles on the machine as long as the profile that owns the content has been activated on it. You can have your profile registered on up to 2 PS3s at a time – it used to be 5, until recently.

17. Fin

Nah, Orbit implied that he had grouped together with a bunch of his friends (presumably all living separately), then one of them had bought the Call of Duty map pack, signed in to each of their PS3s and downloaded it. Then they all, separately, played the content one person had paid for.

18. OrbitMonkey

^ implied nothing, thats exactly what we did ;-) Though we actually split the cost of the dlc.

19. fearmonkey

Ireland Michael said what I was thinking……
    Evil Activision is Evil, there are no surprises here.

It’s been a very long time since I have bought an Activision game, I think the original Modern Warefare was the last game. Keep supporting them and allowing them to get away with what they get away with and the industry follows. $15 map packs should have been where the support ended…..

20. Ireland Michael

@17 Well yeah, that is completely bogus and cheating the system. I’m not sure how they’d still be able to do with it anymore though, what with Sony recently reducing the number of consoles a profile can be activated on.

But if the profiles are all on the same machine, in the same household, cutting it off is just scammy.