15 mins from Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning 360 demo

Tuesday, 17th January 2012 15:54 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

38 Studios and Big Huge Games have released the demo for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning on Xbox Live. Currently available for Gold members, the game provides you with a taste of the RPG created by he New York Times bestselling author RA Salvatore, Spawn creator Todd McFarlane, and Ken Rolston, lead designer on Morrwind and Oblivion. Players will be able to create their character using various customization options and continuously evolve it to their play-style using the game’s Destiny system. We’ve got 15 minutes of 720p gameplay for you below. Reckoning releases on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 February 7 in North America and February 10 in Europe.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning – demo gameplay from Patrick Garratt on Vimeo.

1. Patrick Garratt

Just capped 15 mins. That is an RPG, no doubt.

2. viralshag

So it’s good then? I can’t wait to get home and try it. I’m pumped to play this game.

3. DSB

Y U NO ON STEAM?!

4. Patrick Garratt

It certainly seems very easy to get into. Combat’s intuitive, nice art, etc. I’ll have the video for you in the next half an hour.

5. GwynbleiddiuM

@DSB, I’m not sure if we gonna se it on Steam, like ever :((((((

@Pat, stop teasing, it ain’t good.

6. viralshag

I think this will be another Origin-only game tbh. This and ME3.

7. DSB

Hey hey hey, turn that frown upside down guys.

EA are trying to block it from Steam, but Curt Schilling has repeatedly said he wants it on Steam, and according to a post he responded to yesterday, they “were able to semi-negotiate [their] own Steam deal”.

So it won’t be on Steam right now, but it seems that EA have failed to stop it. Have faith.

Curt Schilling is Ngruk.

8. Patrick Garratt

It’s uploaded. Just processing now. Taking ages.

9. viralshag

I’m not that bothered, got it pre-ordered on Origin anyway thanks to a 15% off code given to me by EA. :)

(That code probably brings it to Steam-prices but hey-ho!)

10. DSB

@9 You sad, sad fool :P

11. Phoenixblight

This is a EA partner game. Big Huge Games has more freedom to do what they want. It probably will have a delay after release that Steam will then get access.

12. OrbitMonkey

I will download this if for no other reason than to get the swanky me3 armour… If it’s actually good, then that’s a bonus ;-)

13. Phoenixblight

Does anyone know when the silver Xbox live will get the demo? Will it be after a week? I do not want to pay for gold for a demo.

14. Patrick Garratt

Fuck knows what’s going on with it. It’s going to be live here. If it’s not there in half an hour I’ll re-up it:

15. DSB

@PatGar

It is just so, so, so much better. You’re welcome.

16. Patrick Garratt

I’m upping it on my Vimeo account now.

17. Patrick Garratt

It’s there now.

18. DSB

WINmeo

Really, that intro looks pretty boring. I love the gnomes, but the gameplay looks a lot like Fable.

I’ve seen some future parts of the game and it seems to have a lot of color and life, so I wouldn’t write it off just yet.

19. Patrick Garratt

Seems a bit of a mish-mash between BioWare and Lionhead. The speech is the BioWare choice mechanic, but you’re right about the Fable thing, definitely. It’s very easy to play. Be interesting to see how it fills out later on. I literally only played the stuff you see in the video.

20. freedoms_stain

To be honest, that looks kinda meh.

If I want to hack things up this year I shall be doing it as Death in Darksiders 2.

21. Edo

It’s coming to steam http://store.steampowered.com/news/7175/ .

22. DSB

Speak of the devil, there we go!

I am 100% on the fence about The Darkness 2 and this one. I love the look of Amalur though. Colors, in videogames, in 2012. Wooot.

23. Edo

#22″Colors, in videogames,in 2012….well COLOR me interested” there,I fixed it for ya :).

24. Phoenixblight

Well when I saw the screenshots and the trailers, it didn’t seem the interesting and I didn’t see Todd’s style in character and monster creation. After playing the game well no I want to own it. I love the colors and the gameplay. Its actually far more interesting then I thought it would be. This is how I wanted Fable to be in the first place and it looks like Big Huge Games has delivered.

25. LOLshock94

the controls are awkward as hell and just when i went out of the soul place i get a glitch were everytime and npc talks to me they say nothing and the text goes all weird and shit

26. Phoenixblight

Were you playing on the PC? I found the controls to be awkward for the movement during the troll fight because it goes to this isometric view. If I do get the game I am definitely using a controller.

27. GwynbleiddiuM

Call me Mr. Picky but that gameplay didn’t look interesting enough for me. Specially since I’m a Bow user and in an action paced RPG that is not using an isometric view, it’s kinda sad to auto luck and mash buttons for it. I just wanna cry over the fact that shooting arrows is …

I liked the Fable: The Lost Chapter and this looks a bit like that. I will pick it up though, looks descent enough, much better than Fable 3 or Dragon Age 2, it seems.

28. viralshag

I’ll be honest, this game didn’t look that great on my TV. I was a little disappointed but the gameplay was decent and the combat was fun.

I’m going to try the PC version tonight.

29. DSB

It doesn’t look great on PC either. It almost looks like an (original) Xbox game.

I like the gameplay and the setting so far, but the camera is anything but intuitive, and that’s close to a dealbreaker for me. I never, ever want the hardest thing about a bossfight to be camera control, but that was definitely the case for me with the troll in the demo.

30. Phoenixblight

Yeah the controls were awkward on the PC especially in that fight because the camera going isometric. The game is obviously built for controllers more than the tacked on kb/m controls.

31. DSB

@30 I was using my 360 pad though.

It wasn’t a question of not being able to control the camera, but a question of the camera needing to be controlled every other second.

I just went from finishing Arkham City to this, and that definitely doesn’t make it look good. Granted, Rocksteady are masters, but they’re not the only ones who’ve gotten past unintuitive camera controls.