Remedy developing “groundbreaking” AAA console project

Monday, 16th January 2012 10:24 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Remedy’s posted a job listing for what it says is a “groundbreaking” AAA console project.

The Finnish studio posted the listing on its website, looking for a gameplay/AI programmer, with the successful candidate working on the internally-made engine that powered both Alan Wake and XBLA effort American Nightmare.

Besides American Nightmare, the only confirmed project on the studio’s books is the PC release of the original Wake, being self-published by the company.

There’s no suggestion on what this project could be. Right?

Thanks, Gamerzines.

1. Maximum Payne

I’m just happy they didn’t closed.

2. YoungZer0

Hell Yeay!

5. OlderGamer

@1 +1

6. ManuOtaku

#1 and #4 +1

7. Joe Musashi

Great! Only 6 years to go before they release it then. I wonder if it’ll have a protagonist with a stupid wordplay-based name.

JM

8. roni1175

Digger HD

9. Malmer

Please let it be Alan Wake 2! Loved the first game and consider it one of my personal top five games this generation.

10. Kabby

Groundbreaking? Does this mean it’s on Kinect? :/

11. fearmonkey

Next Gen game – Alan WAKE 2 ftw.

12. Ireland Michael

I love how 90% of the replies in this thread are people wanting a sequel instead of an actual new game.

And this is why we get Call of Duty every single year.

Hey, I loved Alan Wake, but I’d rather have a completely new experience over a single changed one any day.

13. fearmonkey

@12 – That’s great, yeah I can truly see how a sequel to a game that wasn’t really ended properly would be just like the Call of Duty yearly sequel. I guess you were unhappy about that Star Wars Episode 5 and 6, when everything was so nicely tied up at the end of episode 4.

Some of us like sequels and trilogy’s, do you want one episode of a TV show and say, lets watch something else?

14. DSB

I don’t know about that. There are quite a lot of good sequels out there. Portal 2, Arkham City, Just Cause 2, Uncharted 2, The Witcher 2 etc. etc.

Throwing everything away and starting over isn’t always a good thing. I don’t think anyone has been dying for games like Hunted, Enslaved or Homefront.

I’m not saying being original is bad, but it’s not so black and white. Ultimately it’s down the industry’s ability (or lack of same) to back a winner, original, sequel or otherwise.

I think it’s a lot worse that publishers insist on taking old trademarks and then changing everything that made them special to begin with. To me that’s a lot more like choosing not to give a new IP the chance. The games have nothing to do with the old ones, they’re new IPs in every sense of the word, but they aren’t allowed to exist as such.

15. The_Red

I gotta disagree on the Enslaved part. While the gameplay was mostly meh, the story, the characters and the world were more than interesting. They deserve to have a follow-up which probably will never happen.

16. fearmonkey

@15 – Enslaved was actually a very cool game, a friend bought it and I enjoyed watching him play it.

17. The_Red

@16 Agreed. It had flaws but the overall experience was rather great (Though I mostly played and finished it for 2 lovely central characters).

18. mojo

fully agree with 14.
    the rapeing of old ips is getting out of hand this gen.