Report: People Can Fly developing Gears prequels

Thursday, 24th November 2011 15:57 GMT By Johnny Cullen

According to the latest issue of OXM US, Bulletstorm developer People Can Fly is developing a trilogy of prequel games for Gears of War.

The magazine (via CVG) suggested the rumour in its rumour section, which reads: “Gears of War will live on, of course, but in what form? A prequel trilogy developed by Epic-owned People Can Fly (Bulletstorm) as a likely scenario.”

Worth noting that, as well as Bulletstorm, People Can Fly – also owned by Epic Games – was behind the PC version of the original Gears of War in 2007.

The main Gears of War story, with Marcus and Delta Squad, wrapped up with the release of Gears of War 3 in September. Epic design director Cliff Bleszinski told VG247 around launch there was “8 billion types of ways we could spin” the series following the culmination of Fenix’s tale.

1. Hcw87

Milk that cow. Bulletstorm was kinda bad aswell.

2. Maximum Payne

On what would Epic do then?

3. StolenGlory

I can’t see how there is any truth to this if i’m honest.

On the one hand, if this is a prequel trilogy for the existing console, then we’re looking at 3-5 years of new Gears titles on existing hardware; which I just can’t see happening at all due to the fact that the 360′s successor will be looking to establish a solid foothold with some proven IP support.

On the other hand, if it is for the next Xbox console, I just can’t see Epic Games trusting another outfit (regardless of the Bulletstorm connection), with the next-gen debut of both the Gears of War IP and what will likely be the next iteration of the Unreal Engine.

4. YoungZer0

If this is true, i’d cry a little. Granted Bulletstorm wasn’t a great game, but it was new.

I see their talent wasted on such a crappy series.

5. G1GAHURTZ

IF this is true, I’d say it’s because Epic are putting all their resources into developing an ‘xbox next’ (or whatever) launch title.

6. Erthazus

Epic said that their next title will be finally (developed specifically for the PC) and it’s not a port.

I’m interested to see what it is.. Unreal they are not going to develop anyway, because of console casual gaming, so… i hope that it is something decent this time.

Maybe they are doing something next for new Xbox.

7. OrbitMonkey

If its true, I’d expect it to be multiformat to be honest…

8. Maximum Payne

@6 I hope a new IP or re booting Unreal with SP like Unreal 2 or something.

9. Erthazus

@8, probably new Ip.

they won’t do Unreal in the near future because of console gaming. Epic already tried to bring Unreal tournament 3 to Ps3 and X360. Failure in the end because well, controller is controller.

10. ninjanutta

After playing raams dlc for gears 3,I can see where they can go with it,That dlc plays out a 3 hour campaign from before gears 1 and it totally works,they bring in jace as a kid and it makes sence if you played the 3 gears games.There is a rich universe to milk in the right hands and still be good.

11. SplatteredHouse

@9…No. Failure for consoles would have been because of a Halo/CoD-centred massed playerbase in multiplayer, combined with the need for mods to be delivered from the PC, then “cooked” to run on PS3 to be enjoyed/rated by the few that bothered with the game after hobbling issues (and Microsoft’s strict walled garden online stance (as it was at the time), preventing UT3 360 community content completely)).

So, in the end the PC community that were making mods available to PS3 console got increasingly put off continuing to do so and those consoles versions largely died a death of player numbers. I think the controller was more a contribitory issue than nearly the deciding factor. I can attest that I found it was perfectly playable on console, but sadly, just didn’t retain support.

12. Erthazus

@11, by that time CoD was not so popular when UT 3 was released on consoles + Ps3 had no Halo at that time at all.
    Just few sucky MP shooters.

13. LOLshock94

@12 11 is right when UT3 came out, cod 4 was getting huge and it was also a lagfest of a game when it came out for 360, reasons why UT3 failed was because epic gave up on UT3.

14. loki

Hell no, we don’t want it

15. JRNO

There’s nothing that gets me quite as furious as Microsoft surfing on one of it’s three-or-so exclusive franchises.
    For God’s sake, give me a reason to keep my Xbox. Or at least make it something different under the same name, I don’t even care anymore.

16. IL DUCE

That report is total speculation…to take this report as fact is like believing every word michael pachter says

17. IL DUCE

This is also lazy reporting with the lead in to the article being totally out of context…it doesn’t say “people can fly are developing a prequel trilogy” it says it would be a likely scenario…geez sensationalizing things almost as much as fox news over here

18. Talkar

Here is for some gears on my PC! xD