Naughty Dog: Quality bar for future Uncharted titles “really high”

Wednesday, 2nd November 2011 10:59 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Following Uncharted 3′s release in Europe today and in the US yesterday, developer Naughty Dog has said future titles will have to live up to a “really high” quality standard.

Speaking to IGN, lead effects artist Keith Guerrette said success has made the studio “a little bit reluctant, actually, if we do sit back and decide to continue with the Uncharted world, because we don’t want to ruin” the series.

“At this point, because we took off sprinting the moment we finished Uncharted 2 onto Uncharted 3, the studio’s giving us some time to relax and take a breather, so everyone’s off on vacation now,” he said.

“When we do go back we’re gonna have to sit down and talk and figure out what it is we want to spend time on and that’s part of the freedom Sony gives us. I mean, we’ve shipped 11 games now and we’ve never missed a single deadline, which I don’t think that there’s any other development studio in the world that can say that.”

Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception is out now on PS3. Go buy it.

1. DuckOfDestiny

They really are going to have a good ol’ think about what to do next. Starting to re-use ideas guys/gals!?

2. daytripper

@2 i think they will go co op for single player next time, introduce new weapons, maybe refine the combat a bit more.

3. Takeshi

@3 Hell no, put more focused co-op into the game, sure, that’s fine. But let me keep my singleplayer experiemce.

4. daytripper

@3 i highly doubt you will be unable to have your singleplayer experience

5. Anders

Honestly, I’d like them to start working on something new. The Uncharted games (the last two, at least) are fantastic, but I’m not sure that I would want more of that.

6. StolenGlory

Oh I wouldn’t complain too much.

You might get Way of the Warrior 2 next.

Then you’d be proper fucked :)

7. Myth

I think we just saw the first play called related to the next-gen consoles.

Naughty Dog knows they have a winning franchise, and they feel a bit tapped out creatively – so talk about wanting a breather and even more quality in your next game and open yourself up for bidding from MS/Sony on who gets your first game in the next gen.

8. Lounds

@7 They’re owned by SONY, they will only ever make Playstation games.

9. ultramega

Naughty Dog knows they have a winning franchise, and they feel a bit tapped out creatively ā€“ so talk about wanting a breather and even more quality in your next game and open yourself up for bidding from MS/Sony on who gets your first game in the next gen.

Can’t tell if joking, or just an idiot…