Rumour – GTA V to feature multiple protagonists, set in LA

Tuesday, 25th October 2011 22:50 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Hot on the heels of the game’s formal announcement the Grand Theft Auto V rumour mill has kicked into gear.

Kotaku is citing an anonymous source close to the project for a Los Angeles setting for the game.

The source also claims the game will feature more than one playable character, although it’s not clear whether the player is offered a choice or switches between them in the course of the story.

Neither of these rumours are entirely new, which makes them all the more interesting. Rumours of a Hollywood setting emerged in July 2010, and were given greater weight by the unearthing of a casting call for something codenamed Rush, which included a small family group. Another, later casting call made mention of five primary characters.

Redacted retail listings and the release of Max Payne 3 in March suggests we can expect GTA V in the 2012 holiday season; a debut trailer on November 2 and Take Two’s financials in a fortnight hint that we’ll have more concrete information soon.

1. Yoshi

Hmmm would be interesting if there were 3 stories. So like GTA4 + expansions but all three got a full story and you got to choose which view point you see it from.

2. Paul

Oh it’s all mighty exciting. There would probably be something along those lines Yoshi. I’m sure it’s going to contain something that’s not only going to WOW us but makes it unique from the previous titles.

3. BULArmy

I really hope that the city is not real, I am sick of that type of open enviroment we need more variety of styling and not some arhitecture and style which we have seen hundreds of times. For me that is why San Andreas, Vice City or City 17 are so cool they resemble something, but had their own style. Also the biggest problem whit such cities are that sometimes they do not resemble the respective city very good. Having 15 out of 50 distinctive landscapes is not enough for me.

On the multiple protagonists side I think that can rally be a good side, I just hope that this is not some stupid way to incorporate co-op and this way the story to suffer.

4. Erthazus

Funny question: GTA 5 will be on Wii U?

5. OrbitMonkey

@Erthazus, WiiU launch title. Bet money on it ;)

6. Paul

#3

Refresh my memory, City 17 is from.. Half Life 2?

7. Anders

#6: Yep.

I’m not sure I would like to play as several different protagonists in one campaign, but I’ll give Rockstar the benefit of the doubt. Assuming the rumors are accurate.

8. K-V-C

i hope its character selection with their own story !!! or just plain character selection !!! but thats just my opinion !!! but i have the utmost faith in rockstar to deliver another top quality game !!! :)

9. Kaufer

Like Yakuza 4.

10. aseddon130

It sounds more and more like San Andreas … WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

11. HeavyD-Love

Female lead.

Almost guaranteed.

It’s the only thing they haven’t done yet.

12. barchetta

Definitely looks like USA – that V & 5 logo reminds me of a US banknote:

Just what era though?

13. UuBuU

Why do people keep saying LA? There is no LA in the world of GTA.

San Andreas = California/Nevada
    Los Santos = LA
    San Fierro = San Francisco
    Las Venturas = Las Vegas
    Liberty City = New York
    Vice City = Miami

So when you say LA, what you mean is Los Santos. Though I find it strange that they’d do an entire game on just one section of San Andreas.

14. YoungZer0

If it’s about gangs again, make it a mexican gang.

15. IL DUCE

@5 GTA V will probably not be out til Fall/Holiday 2012, since Max Payne 3 is launching at the end of March, while the WiiU is supposed to launch in the spring or summer so sure ill bet money on it since by the time it releases the WiiU will have been out for several months already…which means it is not a launch title

Five main characters make sense to me though since it is GTA V, so why not have 5 characters to keep the theme of 5 going