GTA V announced, first trailer on November 2

Tuesday, 25th October 2011 12:05 GMT By Johnny Cullen

The biggest and best left-field announcement ever: Rockstar Games, out of nowhere, has announced Grand Theft Auto V, with its debut trailer appearing online next week.

The main Rockstar website has a logo on its main page, confirming its first trailer for November 2 – that’s next Wednesday for those not keeping count.

No platforms or date aren’t mentioned, nor which Rockstar-based studio will be making the game. Chances are, considering its done every main installment in the series, it will be Rockstar North in Edinburgh, who are also meant to be working on supposed PS3 exclusive Agent.

The fact its being announced now – and with a trailer to boot next week – seems to suggest a holiday 2012 release is likely. Rockstar already has Max Payne 3 in its books for a March 2012 release.

Last summer, VG247 was told by a source the game’s location would be set in Hollywood.

Since then, signs have pointed towards GTA V being in development under the codename “Rush.”

Web domains and casting calls linked to the game were then unearthed. A report suggested recently a 2012 release was “likely.”

The last main release was Grand Theft Auto iV, which took place in Liberty City, in April 2008. It seen two DLC episodes since its release, both released in 2009: The Lost and Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony.

Logo is below. Let the internet pant-shitting commence.

1. someguy2

Oh shit

2. Raiden

OMFG

3. Johnny Cullen

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?!?!?!?!? :O

4. Razor

Fucking finally!

5. Kabby

Why announce it now? Weird.

6. Shubb9

Any wild speculation we can make on the style of the V and it’s dollar style scroll and colour?

7. someguy2

As excited as I am, this leaves me with one question. What about Agent?

8. Colin Gallacher

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD :D

9. B.E.S.O

YEAH !!!

10. TheKeyPit

Nice move. So now everybody will talk about GTA V and all other games like Battlefield 3 will have to hide?

11. Shubb9

That’s it. You’re a banker and you’ve got to pauperise a nation.

12. LOLshock94

OPWefb kjpa\j gebshaefibefiueiuobfoerobgorbuio

13. strikkebil

fuck yeah!

fap fap fap

14. Talkar

I just hope it won’t suck as much as the 3rd and 4th x)

15. Gheritt White

Fuck me sideways, wasn’t expecting that until Jan.

16. Shaz37k

AWESOME!!

17. FillRoyy

Nice, anything that breaks up the tedium of MORE Battlefield 3 news…

18. Fin

HOLY FUCK

Jesus I am so unbelievably excited.

Q4 2012?

19. manamana

Hmmm…. 16 furious comments for a trailer announcement…..

20. 2plus2equals5

After the 4th no thanks.

21. daytripper

brilliant news!!! :D

22. GenericShooterSoldier

That just came out of nowhere!!!!

23. Eregol

I’m guessing Agent has been permanently shelved.

24. silkvg247

Sorry, will be too busy playing SR3 :)

GTA lost it’s way when it favoured realism over fun. Yes SR2 took it too far for some, but somewhere in between would be the sweet spot.

I don’t see the fun in having to please in game NPC’s by doing mundane things like go bowling. And then again. And then again. Or driving something that feels like a trolley full of cement.. er yey “realism”. Or running from cops because you fire a gun in your own house at a wall.

Seriously you can’t do shit in that game without the cops chasing you, it gets old the 600th time.

25. Yoshi

@6 I’d say by the look of the V they’re trying to do a GTA4 crossed with GTASA

@24 Wow someone clearly sucked at GTA4 XD
    I don’t understand the hate around GTA4, it was an amazing game in some respect it took new elements a new way like BF3 with the civvies acting more like real people etc. It’s the small details that make GTA4 unique. Yes it didn’t have as many crazy moments but it had a fair few awesome sauce moments.

26. LOLshock94

this game will definitely come out near summer.

27. Vitanimus

Unexpected!

28. YoungZer0

Is that supposed to be something you’d find on a dollar sign?

29. Moonwalker1982

HELL FUCKING YEAH!!!!!

That’s all i can say!!!!!

Now please have more variety in the missions, a bit more of the fun from San Andreas and please have a countryside with forests, and simply nature.

30. Joe Musashi

Surprise Game Announcements > Games

JM

31. aseddon130

MY FUCKING HEAD JUST ASPLODED!!!!

PLEASE BE SAN ANDREAS PLEASE BE SAN ANDREAS PLEASE BE SAN ANDREAS !!!

32. Gama_888

BOOOYAAAA YAYYYY
    im so happy they finally announced it.

funnily enough i was just thinking to myself yesterday, when are they going to announce it

I remember when they announced GTA4 and the servers were so overloaded with people wanting to see the trailer, hopefully they will have planned that out this time.

33. NeoSquall

Now we can actually say GTAV is a Saints Row: The Third rip-off! :D

34. G1GAHURTZ

meh.

35. Kigaroth

Oh My God! Awesome! :D

36. humanfish

If this is like San Andreas, I won’t be interested, or not as interested as I would of been. That Snoop Dig shit dont interest me

37. OrbitMonkey

Double meh.

38. StolenGlory

Hmmmm, this could be really, really fucking great.

Or…

It could be merely a good game wrapped up in piss-annoying social activities like the last one.

It’ll be interesting to see which it is.

39. Dark

SR3 feels like an arcade game,and it won’t beat GTA!!
    this is like comparing COD to B3
    Dark siders to God of war
    DMC4 to bayonetta

GTA is REAL open world game
    realism >>>> fun

40. Peetry

Aww I thought there was going to be a trailer now, announching GTAV in this manor is like annoucing that tomorrow is Wednesday, everybody already knows its coming. Here’s an exclusive for you guys, I am officially announcing Uncharted 4 – you’re welcome! Still excited mind.

41. StolenGlory

Given that everything else we have heard up until this point about the game has been a mixture of bullshit and conjecture, ANYTHING about the game is welcome :)

42. deathgaze

Is anyone seriously surprised that Rockstar would announce GTA5? It’s one of the most popular franchises in video game history! Of course they were going to make a sequel. The only question was “when?” and that has now been answered.

43. YoungZer0

@36: WORD!

44. LOLshock94

please be in vegas!!!! but i bet its in jersey :(

45. silkvg247

If realism >>> fun, then let’s hope that death in GTA is permanent.

Other changes that we need if realism is indeed more important than fun:

* You can’t fall more than 10 feet without breaking a limb, and have to spend 8 weeks of game time recovering.
    * If you survive a bullet wound you’ll have to recover for a few months.
    * Your car has a chance to just “fail”, and you need to call the garage who will charge you an extortionate amount of money to get it fixed.
    * Your hand/wrist will get sore and stiffen up if you use a handgun too much, meaning you can’t fire it for a few days.
    * Buying cheap ammo will have a chance to blowback into your face, maiming or killing you (permanently).
    * You have to spend 8 hours of gametime per day asleep, no fast forward as that’s not realistic.

All said in jest of course, but I think what you meant to say was semi-realism == fun. Which I agree with, it’s just about knowing where to draw the line. For example if driving a car feels the same as driving my own car.. I might as well drive my own car because that can’t do handbrake turns very well either.

46. YoungZer0

@45: People think shooting shit at houses is stupid. Live with it. There’s a reason why Saints Row sells less.

47. NeoSquall

@45 do it and I’ll buy ten copies

/sarcasm

48. GenericShooterSoldier

If you squint i think u can make out a sasquatch….

(Made u squint)

49. Erthazus

Lol

50. scratchy69

Bothered.

51. silkvg247

I already said the lack of realism in SR2 was too far for some. Though I will admit I liked the mini games.

I’ve yet to see a game perfectly balance realism and fun, though Just Cause 2 gets close.

52. loki

Megaton. I hope no PC this time. Rockstar don’t be greed fools

53. HauntaVirus

HOLY DAMMIT?

54. tenthousandgothsonacid

Please be fun again, GTA4 sucked piss

55. Iceman-1992

I thought Obama said the war was ending. So why are megaton bombs still being dropped?

56. Anders

I stay away from the site for a day and this happens? Fuck.

Very excited to find out what this’ll turn out to be.

57. stretch215

Pumped for this but I hope it’s more like the older games. GTA4 was good, but I feel they were trying too hard with the “realism” . I had waaaay more fun with saint’s row 2.

58. ASBI

I want it to be more like VICE CITY , plzzzzzzzzz make it like vice city

59. OrbitMonkey

Well if we’re gonna start speculating, I’d say GTA5 will be more in the style of Ballad of Gay Tony. Wasn’t that Rockstars answer to those who thought GTA4 was dull?

Wonder if it’ll have Zombies?

60. DaMan

Not interested, I’ll be playing the likes of Just Cause and Saints Row.

61. frostquake

Once you all get over your “Joy-Gasams” and start thinking with your heads and not your, well..I have no idea where you think from when you loose it and not control yourself with stuff like this..You will start to get a little nervous…

Rockstar, has been letting me down as of late, though just maybe, with a different house developing it, the game will be better. Wondering if the Slave conditions with this game will become apparent closer to release? Wondering how Buggy this game will be compared to the last one. Remember how 4 came out with Huge Patches to fix a Broken game that shipped anyway, or is your Joy-Gasam erasing your memory???

Once the Adult Reasoning returns and you get over your kiddy YIPEE!! you may think twice!!

Rockstar, surely knows the intense scrutiny and comparisons this game will get?? What we let Rockstar get away with in 4 will NOT fly in 5 at all!

62. Charlie Sheen

A total freakin’ rock star from Mars.

63. Patrick Garratt

Blimey Moses. I’m on a train heading into London. Just logged into the wifi and nearly fell off my chair.

64. DSB

I don’t have a lot of faith in what Rockstar are doing in general. It feels like they want to be the HBO of videogames, but without the good writing.

Last time I played GTA IV I was astounded by how much better the game got if you just skipped all the pointless cutscenes. Given that Saints Row have pretty much picked up the torch after these guys, I’m just not too hopeful.

Gay Tony and the Damned might’ve been action focused, and Gay Tony certainly did it best, but neither was really a return to the old GTA, and they still didn’t manage to match San Andreas on your interaction with the world.

I was kind of embarrassed to watch Rockstar make a biker club that mostly consisted of 16 year old girls bickering with eachother, only dressed up like big manly bikers.

65. Phoenixblight

You write as if the game was a bugged mess when that clearly was not the case, the patches were more or less tweaking and for the multiplayer aspect.

Rockstar games are far more polished game than any current game that has released recently.

66. freedoms_stain

I thought GTAIV was a pile of poo if i’m honest, but it seemed to me a lot of lessons were learned by the time RDR came out, so I see no reason not to be cautiously optimistic about the prospect of a GTAV.

67. joshua nash

um, wasn’t expecting this but i hardly care where GTAV will be only care that it doesn’t suck like IV, though i thought IV sucked for a totally different reason, the realism they were going for sucked the life out of the story and the characters i just didn’t care for them or what happened to them,plus the lack of a huge amount of sidestuff and bromance dates don’t cut it, they did a cool thing with trying to make the city a living thing which they accomplished in my opinion, now if they can bring can make they realism not suck the life out of the story which they prove they can with red dead redemption, then i believe that this will be the game that every GTA wanted GTAIV to be

68. frostquake

@65 If you owned a Copy of GTA 4 on the PS3 most had trouble installing the game at all, and after installing it on the PS3 it crashed! That is a Deal Breaker, if you can’t play it at all!

360 Owners ran into weird or missing Texture problems and Freezing of the game that required a hard boot, and of course you started way back.

PC version had terrible memory leaks that filled ram or Vram on graphics card so bad, ppl were downloading Memturbo trying to fix the problem. There were corrupt graphic drivers

My Copy on PS3 locked up constantly, and I got rid of it in favor of the Xbox 360 version.

Just google it. I remember contacting Rockstar Support about my PS3 version not installing, and locking and they told me just to shelve my game until the patch came out. So your wrong about it just being MP.

69. triggerhappy

OUT OF NOWHERE!!! JEZUS!!!

Im just back from an interview, which I aced. I come back and GTA 5 is announced. Today, was a good day :D

70. M. K.

“Sorry, will be too busy playing SR3″

Well said sir, they can keep their pseudorealistic open world shooter and play it by themselves :F

71. Ireland Michael

Only on the internet could only singular image cause this sort of overwhelming reaction.

Looking forward to the trailer. We’ll see what its like then.

72. Paul

Im wet.

73. HeavyD-Love

Skips all comments to say…..

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!

74. Phoenixblight

I played the 360 version with a friend and never had any issues with the game what so ever. Granted I am not saying people didn’t have issues with the game, no game is bug free but I had far more worst experiences with Dead Island, Shadow of the Damned, FEAR 3 than I ever did with GTA IV.

I also owned the PS3 version and never had any issues with the game besides the occasional memory leak which would cause you to fall through the world and have to restart but that was after playing for 7 hours.

75. Nozz

Great news!

76. monkeygourmet

Right…

My predictions… For what they are worth!

I’m sure they will follow some kind of banking crisis storyline (looking at the logo) along with the ‘wire’ style character development. Lots of undercover stories and shady dealings…

They will steer well clear of the more comical San Andreas style as saints row 3 has that all sown up.

Maybe some form of co-op along with the usual multiplayer

Wii u announcement of some sorts.

What’s everyone else’s predictions?! :)

77. SplatteredHouse

@68:

I got to experience the GTA IV on PC, pre-patch suite (7 to date) as well as post, and it could only be described, pre, as broken. To have the game where I wanted it, it would eat around 1000mb of video RAM. The benchmark program says it’s good for well over 60fps. The game shows after struggling through the slideshow it presented as an intro movie, and loading, it’s good for about 5. I can’t even get the first car off its starting position, it’s jolting off the ground, and there is so much skipping you’d be forgiven for thinking the Olympics had started early, or something!

The patch suite, knocked about 300mb off the vid RAM consumption and the game ran super-smooth, but it was very eye-opening situation to see, ALTHOUGH, I will point out that I do see Rockstar offering full support to anyone on PC that has problems getting IV and its offspring installed, and functional. When complaints were posted on their support page the Rockstar staff member reached out and posted to help make people aware of the per-case help available. That’s a great thing to see. :)

78. Dannybuoy

Meh

79. HeavyD-Love

Female lead almost guaranteed.

It’s the only thing they haven’t done yet.

80. m2stech

But will it be as good as iCEnhancer ? (ಠ ›ಠ)

81. NightCrawler1970

HOLY SHIT!!! woooooohooooo!!!! can’t wait to bash some mofo’s!!!!
    PS3: 1 Blue-Ray disc
    Xbox: 6 DVD LMAO!!!

PS3 wins :P

And don’t come up with Exclusive rights on WII, i will break ya fucking neck!!!

82. Noodlemanny

I like how they put a FIVE over the V. Just to make sure no one gets confused and thinks they literally named it GTAV.

83. StolenGlory

You would be surprised.

When I was a store manager at my local GAME store I drew the small straw and had to do the midnight launch for GTA IV.

Aside from the fact that it was total hell packed into five hours of my life that I will never, ever, get back; by far the biggest annoyance was the line below, spoken over and over by the festering chav massive desperate for their latest fix of Rockstar’s Be-A-Cunt simulator:

“Ere’ mate! Could I ‘av one of them Grand Feft Auto Eye-Vees?”

I fucking kid you not.

84. majicship

@83 Spot on.

This will be interesting. I hated most GTA games except 3, but loved other Rockstar products such as Red Dead Redemption and LA Noire etc. Therefore I’d like to see some further ‘moral’ development in this next game, otherwise I shall avoid it like the others.