Edge hands Skyward Sword a 10, more videos released

Saturday, 22nd October 2011 17:01 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Edge has handed The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword a 10 in its latest issue, which goes on sale next Tuesday, October 25. The magazine said the game turned Nintendo’s hardware into “the console it was always meant to be.” To get an idea of whether you will feel the same as Edge or not, more gameplay videos have been released for the title, showing off the Eldin Volcano area of the game. Those are posted below, and if you head on over to Gematsu, you can find out more details on the new race living in the hot, melty mountain. Beware of possible spoilers, though. Game’s out next month on Wii.

1. Butcher8

The fact it looks no better than Ocarina is embarrassing tbh, if I still had my wii I might give a damn but considering how inconsistent Edge are with their 10/10′s I’m not sold. For those looking for a true current gen Zelda look no further than Dark Souls.

2. AxMxH

I really dont know where you are aiming to, Ocrina of time was on 64 and this for Wii and still not released why you so fast comparing? and Dark Souls different way in playing and graphic system. ! Peace !

3. Ireland Michael

How the hell could anyone be blind enough to think that this looks “no better than Ocarina of Time”? Put on your glasses dude. The graphic style in this is absolutely stunning.

This right here is exactly what I mean by good art design trumping high resolution textures and lots of post processing effects every time. This is the one of the most gorgeous looking games I’ve seen in a long time.

4. Gekidami

Meh, i dont really care how good this is, at this point nothing will make me go back to Wii. I might be missing out, but Nintendo are just to late for me.

5. Sini

it looks alot better than ocarina, but it’s long overdue for nintendo to move into hd, it’s disappointing they haven’t decided to overhaul the graphics and release this next year for wii u.

6. Gekidami

^ They said they wont. But i bet they will.

7. Peetry

@4 I concur. I’m sure the game is solid but my memories of Zelda as a child are not positive enough to provoke a return to the series. My flatmate on the other hand is a die hard Nintendo fangirl and like Ireland Michael shes says that the art style is amazing. This I do not get, to me it looks very plain indeed.

8. OrbitMonkey

Sorry i’m still chuckling over the whole “if u wants REAL zelda, play Dark Souls!!” comment… Thank fuck this guy doesn’t do children’s parties :D

9. Telepathic.Geometry

I’m trying to imagine Ninty farming out a Zelda title to the lads from FromSoftware. :^D

Link: Where’s Zelda lads?
    Sage: She’s sat in a foetid valley of defilement washing her feet in the rank waters of aborted babies.
    Link: :-|

Yeah, that’s a Zelda game alright.

10. Christopher Jack

@7, Agreed, never understood why recent Zelda games are so special, probably just nostalgia. Curious to know if reviewers who had never played a Zelda game before would give this game a high score. Too many game scores are influenced by the brand power behind it, Zelda obviously being one of the biggest in the entire industry. Not saying that this is a bad game, how could I? Never played this one, probably just me being cynical again.

11. Erthazus

You should try ZELDA:SW Sword. I think it’s awesome.

It’s not because of nostalgia, it’s because Miyamoto know what he is doing with that franchise. There are really cool puzzles and great combat. Great dungeons. A lot of RPG’s these days have shitty dungeons and puzzles compared to Zelda games.

It’s a great fairy tale and thats where it delivers, while other guys like Molyneux jerk off with typical MS marketing campaign + saying shit like: “OMG, look at this grass” and in the end game sucks with shitty combat, stupid puzzles and gays all over the place with on-rails mechanics aka Fable II/III.

12. Christopher Jack

@11, Funny, this time I’m the one one being a cynical bastard… At least things went back to normal when you brought up that Fable game.

13. Ireland Michael

Erth, I think this is the first and last time I’m ever going to say this, but… well said!

Why can’t you be like this more often? =P

14. OrbitMonkey

Good poinr their Erth. Fable could have been the perfect fairy tale adventure for adults and Albion a timeless setting… Instead of the boring pre-industrial landlord sim i remember Fable 2 being T_T

15. DaMan

lmao.

Aside from the fact that they hate on Fable because it was a PC rpg stolen by the evil Xbox, while Zelda has never really been a threat.. And it’s not like downloding an emulator of N64 alongside roms cost him anything either.

lmao.

16. John117

Woopsie doo, good Nintendo games are to few and far to shattered between each other… PS3/Xbox offers tons of different great games while Nintendo only manages to give out a few good games a year (if that much) and every one of them are descendant from retro gaming… (Maario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Kirby) and the occasional remakes… So sure, I bet it’s a lovely game but I wont make the investment required for playing it..

17. OlderGamer

Gaming goodness right there.

18. DrDamn

I’d really like the Zelda (and Mario for that matter) teams attempt something completely new without the crutches and backup of the established franchises and all that goes with it. That would be something to get really excited about. As it is the characters, the nostalgic elements, the over all themes, just don’t work for me. I understand others will feel the exact opposite, and it’s really a personal preference, but think of what they could do without the reins holding them back?

Hold on are you the same Erthazus who complained a game was shite because it didn’t have 3d grass? :)

19. frostquake

Since this game ONLY supports Motion Controls and none of the Wii Wired Options, this is a No Go For me. No Way any of you can play this game for 2-3 hours at once! Maybe if you have some kind of Arm Device that will hold your arm out for you while you play..ROFL!!

I would love to get this game, but this Old Arm can’t stay extended for hours, and who the heck wants to sit forward for 2 hours!

I would have loved to kick back in my recliner, feet out, with a good old wired controller, glass of my fave beverage and played for hours on end!

Several of my Fiends have said the controls become tiresome, quickly and longed for a Wired Controller. Let me know, those of you who pick it up..especially you OlderGamer ;)

Sad Frosty… :(

20. Telepathic.Geometry

Dunno ’bout this game, but I remember the same things being said about Geometry Wars Galaxies years ago. It’s simple, you rest your forearm on your knee and play like that. No fatigue. Or maybe I’m just way buff. ^-^

21. Ireland Michael

@19 Except for some rare exceptions (Wii Sports), I’ve never had to sit forward with my hand extended when playing a Wii game.

There’s no reason why you can’t sit back and relax with your game hand resting comfortable at your side whole playing this.

22. GameModo

This could be the best zelda and the best game ever… http://www.game-modo.com/2011/10/best-zelda-game-yet.html

23. freedoms_stain

@19, you only have to flick your wrist, you don’t have to swing about wildly.

24. frostquake

I guess my problem is, the way my Entertainment Center is Set up, I have to have IR Bar below the TV Screen. The Way the TV fits in the Entertainment center the top of the TV is above the lip of the wood, because it is a Snug Fit, so no room on top of the TV. I guess I can try it on one of the other TV’s in the house. The Entertainment Center then turns into a Book case and is decorated with Blu-Ray’s, CD’s(things that play music, for you iPod generation..LOL..Oh and I still have my copy of Star Wars on 8-Track, used to listen to it in my Fathers Truck..ROFL!) and other decorations.

Because of my Set Up in my Man Cave, When I kick my recliner back its foot rest goes out and above the line of sight of the Black Bar IR reader…and it won’t work, believe I’ve tried.

Also, when I play with a good old Wired Controllers, I kick back with the Recliner out and my Fave Orange Polar Fleece Pillow on my Lap, with my controller on top of that…LOL..that way I really am not taking the whole weight of the controller, the pillow absorbs some…LOL..can’t do that with my Wiimote. I can play games for 5-6 hours in one setting, so the wrists get very tired, unless I can place the controller on something.

I will get this game, if the Crew here thinks it is worth it…just will have to play sitting forward for short periods of time.

EDIT: And “NO” I am not an 800 pound shut in…ROFL… I am a 5’10 Dude who weighs about 140lbs. I even grew a beard to make myself look fatter in the face, because I got tired of everyone telling me how skinny I was, and that my wife must not be feeding me, really ticked the wife off..those of you who are married know what I mean..ROFL