Battlelog inspired by Facebook, Halo Waypoint, others

Thursday, 20th October 2011 00:56 GMT By Brenna Hillier

DICE drew inspiration from a number of existing networks as it developed Battlefield 3′s social service, Battlelog.

“I looked at all social networks from Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn, to of course [Halo] Waypoint and [Call of Duty] Elite,” developer Frederick loving told Gamasutra.

“We looked at everything. That’s inspirational for me just finding out what other people do and just sort of grabbing the good pieces out of it.”

Loving doesn’t see any problem in cannibalising other network for Battlelog’s feature set, because when you boil them down, all social networks are the same.

“Of course we’re inspired by a lot of the social networks that are out there and they’re all pretty common if you look at them,” he said.

“They have the similar feeds, they have similar likes, they have similar comments so there’s a lot of common features amongst all social networks.”

Battlelog launches alongside Battlefield 3 next week. Its rival, Modern Warfare 3, will also support a social network – Call of Duty Elite.

1. Yoshi

wow what a surprise :O

2. G1GAHURTZ

Fixed.

3. Ireland Michael

@2 Are you seriously trying to take the piss?

Battlefield has had this sort of stat tracking stuff for years. They’re just adding a social layer of it.

If you actually think Battlelog was some sort of reactionary response to Call of Duty Elite, you’re kidding yourself. Call of Duty Elite is not some sort of revolutionary idea.

And at least Electronic Arts doesn’t make you pay a subscription fee for the service.

4. G1GAHURTZ

Be serious.

EA/DICE are just ticking boxes.

What is CoD doing? Ok, lets make sure there’s nothing that they have that we don’t have.

Are you implying that Activision does? You know full well that CoD Elite is a free service.

That’s like me saying that Sony makes PS3 owners pay for PSN because of PSN+.

5. Ireland Michael

“EA/DICE are just ticking boxes.”

Yeah, because Activision totally isn’t the physical personification of this concept taken to its most extreme limits.

6. OrbitMonkey

Yay, another hunting ground for chicken hawks!!

7. viralshag

Well I for one, actually liked it and didn’t have a problem. I reckon if I was still on one monitor at home I would feel differently.

I wouldn’t be against it all be in-game but the fact that Battlelog is used for something less than 5% of my intended gaming time, I don’t see what the big deal is.

I generally opened it up, found a server, joined game and then an hour or two later leave and check my stats and stuff. I would hardly say that’s any more of a painful process than doing the equivalent with in-game menus.

8. endgame

@G1GAHURTZ dude u’re such a f**king douchebag! Elite is a paid service u pathetic moron!! some of it isn’t but the most important parts of it (for some) are. if u want map packs and some other similar sh*t u will have to pay for them u idiot! f**king COD fans u’re so stupid u don’t know your own services. with Battlelog EVERYTHING will be for free. map packs WILL BE FREE! but nvm that, wtf r u doing on a BF thread u f**king troll? did u ever see me writing anything on a COD thread? NO u piece of s**t because it’s not worth my time dealing in decade old standard def games. gog (.com) excluded. those r awesome!

9. OrbitMonkey

^ Battlefield map packs will be free!? Lol, do EA’s shareholders know about this?

Check yo facts baby ;)

10. Fin

|u’re so stupid u don’t know your own services.

|map packs WILL BE FREE!

Hmmmm…

PS – “fucking” and “shit” aren’t censored.

11. endgame

yup BF map packs will be free.

12. Fin

Sounds awesome! Source please!

13. YoungZer0

@11: Like Return to Karkand?

14. endgame

@13 yes Return to Karkland is free.

@12 I can’t point u to the exact source right now but if u would have been reading vg247 these past 2 years you would have know that. DICE said that btw. they wouldn’t want to split the community like that other game does.

15. YoungZer0

@14: Only if you buy the Limited Edition. So … not really.

16. endgame

@15 1. LOL! why wouldn’t u buy the LE?
    2. if u buy it online (from Origin) that’s the only version u can buy. ok please stop now. u’re sounding like u’re striving to look retarded.

17. Moxifool

Oh look, G1GATWAT is unleashing his not-inconsiderable trolling talents on yet another BF thread.

Honestly just shut up you bellend. Your boring. Nobody cares.

18. Fin

Right, so you’re saying Karkand is free if you buy the LE?
    PROTIP: that means Karkand isn’t free to everyone.
    I have been reading VG247 these past two years, and I don’t think the map packs will be free. If you can dig up a quote (“DICE said that btw”) to support this please do, but until that happens, I’ll just assume u’re so stupid u don’t know your own services.

lol u mad bro?

19. endgame

@18 ok dude w/e. tbh I don’t give a sh*t about what u know and u don’t and frankly I don’t have to bring u up to speed with anything. not my fault that u’ve been living under a rock. but I think I know what’s going on since u’re defending (as Moxifool called him) G1GATWAT. u’re COD fan! so I’ll tell u the same thing I’ve told him: GTFO troll!!

20. Fin

No story or source or quote?
    I wasn’t defending him actually, I was just calling you out on you BF knowledge.
    Oh well, I guess u’re so stupid u don’t know your own services.

Map packs may be free, but (to the best of my knowledge), nobody’s said either way. Considering Karkand definitely won’t be free to everyone, I imagine nor will the rest of them.

21. endgame

COD troll please stop feeding misinformation! Return to Karkland will be free to every person who buys BF3 LE.

edit: btw the LE is the ONLY BF3 edition u can buy. so there u go. I’ve showed u the obvious. anything else I just cba to look for.

22. Fin

Bzzzt!

Return to Karkand will be free to every person who preorders BF3 or buys it during its first run. Preowned and those who wait will be out of luck.
    Hence the “Limited Edition” name.

So, say if someone waits until after Christmas, then buys BF3. When Karkand is released (I don’t think there’s a date for it yet?), they’ll have to pay for it.

lol u’re so stupid u don’t know your own services.

23. Tweek444

Don’t forget that with Elite premium, You get the four mappacks that are worth more then the Elite Subscription, So you’re not just paying to see extra Stats and stuff.

24. OrbitMonkey

@21 Yeah Fin is a HUGE CoD fan, he spent about 500 hours playing blops over the summer…

Or was that someone else ;)

25. YoungZer0

@16: Because it costs more? Because i don’t give two fucks about Limited Editions?

26. G1GAHURTZ

Oh dear…

The closer we get to the BF3 release, the more sensitive these silly little BF3 fanboys get.

1. Map packs have absolutely NOTHING to do with a social networking service.

2. Frederick Loving tried to imply that he drew inspiration from Facebook and MySpace. Being careful to ‘credit’ CoD Elite, lastly.

That’s the entire point of this article and exactly what I was refering to when I implied that in reality, they’re just copying Elite.

It’s no coincidence that just after IW announce Elite (a social networking service!), DICE suddenly announce the social networking features of Battlelog.

They’re blatantly ripping it off!

And fanboys… Don’t try and deny it. EA have openly admitted their obsession with destroying CoD, and it’s obvious that they don’t want MW3 to have a social networking feature while BF3 doesn’t.

3. For the most part, CoD Elite is free.

None of the SOCIAL NETWORKING (the entire point of this article) features cost a single penny.

FACT.

You fanboys who shout “TROLL!” every time anyone dares mention anything less than positive about your ‘champion’ are pure comedy.

27. viralshag

I think the people that keep trying to compare the games and the features are funnier.

28. Fin

lol like I’d play that shitty sub-hd console kiddy elementary school game for 500 hours

;)

29. viralshag

@28, I think you mean “sup-bar HD”… God, that annoyed me everytime.

30. StolenGlory

@29 ‘Sup-bar’, heh yeah, that sounded like a pub or something :)

In other news, I really couldn’t give an ass rat’s about Battlelog, Elite or any other such stuff, i’ll just be looking forward to BF3 next week and MW3 two weeks after that.

As you were gentlemen!

31. Freek

BF has been doing stat tracking for years, as have other games. And EA was going heavely into social for a while now, see AutoLog.
    You dont’t just thrown these things together in a matter of weeks, it takes months to impliment and if you are going to use a game as a data source then that too has to be taken into consideration and planned and developped. To even think they just threw this together after CoD Elite was anounced is silly beyond reason.

32. viralshag

@31, If you haven’t noticed most people here are beyond reasoning.

33. G1GAHURTZ

Elite was revealed months before the BF3 SN features.

Who said anything about “weeks”??

On top of that, how is Autolog anything like the kind of SN features that Loving is talking about??

34. Joe Musashi

Attack is the best form of defense!

JM

35. viralshag

@33, To be honest, why does it matter whether it was copied or not. It works, and works well. It’s hardly like they have copied it and come out with an inferior product.

Plus, the fact that the main game seems to heavily rely on what Battlelog is: launching games from there, both MP and SP it seems, would make me think it would have been part of the developement or at least the idea for the game, for some time.

But like I said, why does it matter so much?

36. G1GAHURTZ

First of all, why do we keep getting seperate aspects confused?

We seem to be taking three seperate things and combining them into one, for some reason.

There is DLC, paid or free. There is the stat based system within Battlelog. There are the social networking features. They’re all part of the same game, but they could all pretty much operate independently of each other.

Of course, the main selling of the SN feature is that it helps to highlight the stats and encourage people to compare them, but the main pupose of it is building a thriving social community.

Read the article again.

Loving clearly admits that he “looked at” Elite among other sites to draw “inspiration” from them.

How could he look at it if EA were working on their SN features before Elite was announced??

Anyway, it doesn’t matter that much to me. I took issue with the fact that although he was crediting Elite, he seemed to be trying to belittle it’s importance by mentioning it last. He’s not trying to compete with Facebook or MySpace. He’s trying to compete with CoD.

I made a simple, flippant remark and got called all sorts of things by a bunch of hyper-sensitive fanboys who oh-so wrongly seem to think that I’m in every single BF article, when that’s not the case.

That’s why I continue to clarify my point. It’s a very simple one.

37. StolenGlory

On a (not entirely) seperate note, G1GA, are you going to be updating your YouTube channel with some vids when the game comes out? :)

38. viralshag

@37 & G1GA, yeah haha, that “learning to snipe” one was ace.

@36, I honestly don’t think he was trying to belittle CoD or Elite by mentioning it last. That’s not how it read to me anyway. He grouped the two game-focused SN features together and if anything I would have read that as “saving the best for last” kind of thing.

39. G1GAHURTZ

@SG:

I want to!

I need to get a few cables before I can get my video capture setup running again, but I’m hoping to do lots of new vids.

40. StolenGlory

What video cap software do you use out of interest? Sony Vegas 10 HD?

41. G1GAHURTZ

@ VS:

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed the vid!

Hmm… Having read it again, I suppose it’s entirely reasonable to interpret his words either way.

I haven’t tried Battlelog, but I had the Elite beta and I saw huge potential there, to be honest.

42. G1GAHURTZ

@ SG:

I have an HD PVR and I just use Windows Movie Maker. It’s not the latest version, as I believe MS took some features out, for some reason.

I even made my intro (simplistic as it is!) using it.

43. StolenGlory

@42 Oh wow, that’s pretty cool. I didn’t realise it was so versatile!

44. viralshag

@G1GA, I’m the total opposite in the respect that I haven’t tried Elite but have tried Battlelog, but I too would say there is big potential.

Is Elite going to be like Waypoint and accessible through the console or is it purely a browser based thing? I only ask because MW is always a console purchase for me and so I doubt I would use it much if it was browser based.

Further to my point about how it read, I think it would have been more flippant to comment about Elite before last, as a simple off the cuff remark rather than finishing the comment with the most similar system to what they will launch.

45. G1GAHURTZ

@ SG:

Yeah, I think it’s version 2.6 you need if you want to export in HD, though.

@ VS:

AFAIK, it’s not going to be accessible through console. However, IIRC, there was something mentioned about making it accessible through moblie.

Most smartphones have full browser functionality these days, anyway, so they must have been talking about specific iTunes/Android apps.

46. StolenGlory

Mobile functionality would be the shit. It would be so useful to just have my phone on the couch with me and be able to glance over at it whenever I feel like.