Modern Warfare 3 more easily updated than previous CoD games

Wednesday, 7th September 2011 03:17 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Infinity Ward has greater scope for updating Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3′s multiplayer on the fly than it ever has before.

“How we’ve built the game this time as opposed to in the past is we’ve made it a lot easier on the back end to update the other aspects of the game beyond just map packs,” creative strategist Robert Bowling told Shack News.

“So now as we’re advancing content and releasing new maps on multiplayer, we can also further tweak them to also be playable in Spec Ops, and then look at how we can update the game further in other ways like new modes, weapons – whatever we wanna do.

“So we’ve done a lot of work on the back end that allows us to update more easily and quickly, and that’s helpful for DLC but it’s also helpful for post-launch support: listening to feedback.

“Maybe there’s stuff we want to rebalance. Maybe there’s stuff we wanna patch. We have a lot more control in tweaking the game now, outside of a patch, than we ever did before.”

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 release on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on November 8.

1. G1GAHURTZ

Good.

2. SCABofSCABS

So put out a half ass game and then fix problems after launch? its bad enough that they are running this game on mw1 engine. i’m guessing sledgehammer couldn’t figure out how to use IW 4.0.
    dudes are just pissing on their own feet.

3. endgame

what update? wth r they talking about? this looks like a dog ate mw1 and then pooped w/e was left of it.

4. Ireland Michael

That’s nice.

Can you update it enough to make you game not shit?

Okay then.

5. JeRicHoOL

You haters really need to crawl back in your holes. The only argument you see is “blah blah blah shit shit shit shit”. I’m impressed by your capability to make a factual judgement. One could think you are 13 years old.

Has anyone even been to CoD XP and played the game? I don’t think so. So how does anyone of you know that the game is shit?

6. Ireland Michael

We don’t need to. We’ve already played it five times before.

That’s kinda the point.

7. OrbitMonkey

^ You hate it, but have still played it the last 5 times? Riiiiiight, your just the guy to listen to o_O

These new quicker updates just mean that when a gun is considered OP by noobs who can’t help but run around getting shot in the face, infinity ward can rush in and nerf it :(

8. Ireland Michael

I said “we”, not me. As in the general consensus that it’s basically the same game every year that people have been playing.

In case you didn’t know, I make a living in video game journalist. I’ve rented out the previous games mind you just so I can put my money where my mouth is and have an informed opinion on the subject.

I’ll likely rent this as well, simply so I can make a final critical opinion on the product. Unless it’s significantly improved in both design and mechanics from the previous games though, I’m expecting to come to the exact same conclusion as I have with the previous games.

So yes, my point still stands. It’s the same game we’ve all played five times already.

9. G1GAHURTZ

General concencus? You’re fooling yourself into believing that the tiny minority of pathetically vocal CoD haters that you align yourself with are somehow the majority! LOL!

That’s why your opinions are so weak and meaningless that they hardly warrant a response 90% of the time.

Sorry, but the general concensus among the vast majority of FPS playing gamers is that the CoD MP is the best FPS MP around. Bar none, hands down, no contest, etc, etc. That’s why it’s at the top of so many Most Played charts.

Not just one version.

Multiple versions!

Now, it may well be the majority opinion in your little group of… …I dunno, how ever many friends you may have, but the VAST MAJORITY of gamers KNOW that there’s a huge difference between versions. (Compare CoD3 to BO, for example. That’s if you can stop sucking so badly that you can stay alive for more than 2 minutes.)

Not visually, by any means. Of course, we all know that they’ve continued to use the same engine, but then, I suppose it takes a bit of brain power to figure out that just because a game uses the same engine, it doesn’t mean that it’s exactly (or even “basically”) the same game.

10. DrDamn

“In case you didn’t know, I make a living in video game journalist.”

Who are you in? ;)

11. G1GAHURTZ

I hope it’s not Pat.

12. The_Red

Of course it was easier. Click on MW2 folder. Press Ctrl-C. Create MW3 folder and then press Ctrl-V.

13. OrbitMonkey

@11 He delivers lunch to Eurogamer ;)

14. G1GAHURTZ

@13:

Someone didn’t read past the title of the story before trolling…

15. Ireland Michael

@10 The general consensus around here. Should have been more specific.

16. G1GAHURTZ

Let’s be more specific.

How about…

‘The general concensus of visitors to this website who post negative comments (troll) in CoD (and BF) articles.’

17. Ireland Michael

If you actually think the CoD playerbase is made up of avid FPS fans, you’re seriously deluded about your favourite game.

“Bar none, hands down, no contest, etc, etc. That’s why it’s at the top of so many Most Played charts.”

It’s top of the Most Played charts because it has the biggest advertising budget of any game every made, bar none.

18. OrbitMonkey

@18 Er no Ireland, its because people LIKE it. That’s all. We know you don’t get it, thats cool. I don’t get fishing… at all. But you won’t hear me accusing the people who do like it of being simpletons… That’s not cool.

19. reask

What is it with this game that irks some folks so much?
    I mean its not as if people are been dragged in at gunpoint to buy the game.(pardon the pun :) )
    I will readily admit that mw3 sp was fairly bad but most buy for the multi anyway which is just good fun and easy to get in to but more difficult to master.

If I don’t like a game I don’t buy it end of.
    It makes me laugh at every mw thread, its guaranteed at least 20+ replys.
    There games ffs why the fuss about something you dont like or are no good at. ;)

20. Ireland Michael

@19 I don’t get it? You’re the one who doesn’t understand how business works.

Bigger advertising budget = more sales.

Twilight is not popular because it’s good. It’s popular because it was advertised like crazy and the lowest common denominator of the public noticed it.

Lady Gaga is not popular because she’s good. She’s popular because she was advertised like crazy and the lowest common denominator of the public noticed her.

Call of Duty is not popular because it’s good. It’s popular because it was advertised like crazy and the lowest common denominator of the public noticed it.

Popularity has never, in the entire history of media, equalled quality. In fact, it’s statically supported that the most critically applauded creations of any medium are often the worst selling.

“But you won’t hear me accusing the people who do like it of being simpletons… That’s not cool.”

“What is it with this game that irks some folks so much?”

@20 It’s shit. It’s boring. It’s the same damn game every single year, bar a few minor changes behind the scene. It has made absolutely no attempt to grow in any shape or form in nearly half a decade.

It’s the exact kind of thing that anyone interested in the continued health of the gaming industry as any sort of creative medium completely despises.

A medium that doesn’t allow any sort of room for creativity is one that can’t sustain itself, because 1) monopolising the market kills competition, and 2) consumers will eventually get bored – the music and film industry realised this years ago.

21. Christopher Jack

CoD isn’t popular because it’s good, it’s been proven time & time again that popularity ≠ quality. Call of Duty would be nothing without it’s name & the publicity it receives. It’s a very basic game & that’s what the average gamer wants & that’s fine, just don’t mistake quantity for quality.

22. YoungZer0

God the hate for this game is getting pretty boring now. If you don’t like it, leave it. Nobodies forcing you to play it.

While others cry out their lungs arguing which game is better, i’ll play both.

@22: Agree, same goes for Halo.

23. G1GAHURTZ

Come on Michael!

That’s such a lazy response. You’re not even trying now.

Please, you can do better than that. Surely?

All the advertising in the world isn’t going to keep people playing your game, day in, day out, over and over again for months (or years) on end.

If the game was bad. People would stop playing it (just like you stopped playing it). It’s as simple as that, and you know it.

I concede that advertising can give you huge sales.

Can it keep people coming back to your game for more and more on a daily basis?

Never.

24. DaMan

You can’t argue with people who say Max Payne was shit and then call CoD fanbase ’13 years old kids and basement dwelling males’. That’s too conflicting.

Besides, CoD isn’t being played ’cause it’s basic but rather ’cause it’s fun.

Not to mention comparisons to Halo are asinine, CoD is like Halo with everyone having a power weapon from the start. Try your quick scoping and spraying then show me the BR/Dmr k.d.

25. DSB

I think you might want to reconsider the general demographic Michael. The core FPS players are out in force for CoD every year, just as much as the civilians. The world’s best pro gamers play it, and the worlds best pro gaming leagues include at least one CoD title every year.

MW2 has seemingly been left out, probably due to ignoring the pro gaming leagues, but that hasn’t stopped the worlds best pro gamers, like Fatal1ty from playing it.

So if pro gamers aren’t the core’s core’s core, then who are?

Personally I’ve been playing shooters since Wolfenstein, and I have absolutely no problem appreciating the mechanics of CoD’s multiplayer. I have no idea why anyone would buy it for the singleplayer though. At best, I’d consider that an interlude, before you start the multiplayer.

Secondly, you can only sell a bad product once. As much as I’m sure it hurts the internet-dwelling anti-CoD intelligentsia (not you, per se) we’re buying these games because they’re the most fun you can have in a shooter these days.

The notion that we’re all somehow braindead, brainwashed kids who see everybody else eating a shit sandwich and go “OH YUMMY LET ME GET THAT!” is really just some peoples way of making themselves feel better, and in some cases a sad way of portraying themselves as more qualified for liking the “smaller game”. Personally I’m a 26 year old man who never gave a fuck what other people were doing. I buy it because it’s a formula I know, and because that formula is good.

Even if I didn’t like Blops, and even if I’m skeptical about MW3.

In terms of MW2, which I consider the best, it’s fast, the weapons are precise, their damage is high, and it awards people who outdo the rest with the ability to rain shit down on their competitors. I don’t see how that wouldn’t be entertaining for anyone who loves to play online, and especially those that like to compete when they do.

26. reask

@ 21.
    But sure that’s the way it is these days.
    Just look at the amount of x factor big brother type reality shows going on.
    As for our press well don’t get me started on that one.
    People buy into everything from clothes to coca cola.
    Nothing new there really.

I play lots of on line games from halo to kz to cod resistance and at the end of the day there all rinse and repeat.
    What I enjoy is going up against other players and been able to hold my own now and again.

If I enjoy something mindless what’s wrong with that really?
    I mean getting drunk is an example and people do it all the time.

Its just getting away from reality for a bit at the end of the day.
    Most of us lead busy lives and its nice just to chill with something you know is fiction and also a good laugh.

I just don’t get the hate for this particular game really.
    I played bc1 and it was a campers paradise.
    Tried the mag demo and as soon as I farted I was sniped.

These games are great but what spoils everyone of them is a little thing called human nature.

I have no inkling to get all serious with my clan so I can get kudos.
    In fact I joined a clan on KZ3 called pooh pooh heads because the idea was no one gave a fiddlers what way you played as long as it was a laugh.

Just go to some of these games forums and the bitching is sad at times.
    Why did they change this or there will never be another game x they completely destroyed the franchise etc etc.

I have enough problems staying alive for more than 10 seconds to worry about that shit.:)

Most people just go on and play with randoms and cod does that pretty well which is the main reason it is so popular imo.

27. G1GAHURTZ

What is it with this game that irks some folks so much?

You want to know what it is, reask?

Some people love games and the games industry. They spend most of their free time playing games, and for them it’s an escape from many of the things that they don’t like about real life.

These people just can’t get their heads around the fact that they just don’t like the most popular game around today. They’re supposed to be gamers, but they don’t enjoy what the vast majority say is the best game! So because of this, they come to the conclusion that there’s either something wrong with the game, or there’s something wrong with them.

So which conclusion do you think they’re going to settle on?

They have this cosy little world infront of the TV, where they’re ‘safe from the hardships of the real world’, but now it’s being invaded from the inside by the kind of people they’re trying to get away from.

Groups of little bullying kids, who beat them, then rub it in!

They can’t handle it. They can’t handle that the game’s so popular with the kind of people that they hate. They can’t handle that they’re no good at the game. They can’t handle that the game doesn’t offer them a big wall of safety that they find in other games.

So they try to convince everyone else that the game is rubbish. It must be rubbish, because there sure isn’t anything wrong with them, eh?

So they troll articles, day after day… This game looks bad! This game hasn’t changed, etc, etc.

Lets face it reask, if the game looked better than any other game ever made before, and if it was so radically innovative that it did things that no other dev could replicate for years to come, they’d just find another reason to hate on it.

Because, lets face it. They’d still be useless at the game, and they’d still get hammered by little kids.

28. OlderGamer

I think the reason COD gets so many people ticked at it is because of the attention it gets. Not just in peoples systems, but in the media. You would think that this was the greatest game of all time.

Its not.

But the hype, the advertising, the exposure the game gets convinces alot of people that it is something that they absolutly must have.

Its like own it, play it, love it … or there is something fundamentaly wrong with you.

But most of the gaming public is pretty much braindead at this point. We buy yearly updates to a whole aray of sports games. We buy franchise games as if they are the only options on the shelf. We buy Gears of War while Vanquish doesn’t get enough sales. We buy MP FPS games as if they have a lock on fun.

In the end it really doesn’t matter if your fav flavor os sameness is COD, BF, Halo, or whatever. It really is a repeatitive twitchfest.

Weather people are happy somewhere deep inside with the game, doesn’t matter. The only thing that matters is that mass amounts of people buy it. Again, this year. That way we can have the same franchise again, next year.

In my mind COD is just one game on top of a steaming pile crap of same old shit.

Do I enjoy another MP FPS more then COD? Yes. Do I play that game alot? Am I dedicated to learning its ever nuance, hoping to find exploits to better my standing in some virtual ranking system? Nope.

They are just games.

But to ask people why they seem to always hate on COD is silly. The answer is staring you right in the face. The game has grown too big, gets too much attention, and takes market share away from other games(to the point of other game devs/pubs trying hard to mimic COD).

Just imagine, your a COD fan, and for some unexplained reason MW3 doesn’t sell. It doesn’t meat expectations. But BF3(or some new franchise) snatches up 60-80% of the market share, selling squillions of copies. Just imagine how puzzled you would be? And then imagine how (maybe others/maybe you) could easily reasent the one game franchise – that you never cared for anyways – for pushing out your fav game?

Easy if you try.

I think that is the jist of COD hate.

29. DaMan

I would have to agree with Ghz post. Hit the nail on the head really.

30. G1GAHURTZ

That’s spot on, OG.

That’s the secret formula that turns otherwise rational relatively sensible people into internet trolls.

They need to wake up and realise that it’s NOT ‘either/or’.

It’s not ‘the game’ or ‘them’.

They need to stop feeling so insecure.

31. Christopher Jack

I don’t always agree with you OG but this time I couldn’t agree more.

32. Ireland Michael

“Secondly, you can only sell a bad product once.”

Britney Spears says hi. Lady Gaga says hi. Justin Bieber says hi. Star Wars says hi. The Fast and the Furious says hi. Guitar Hero says hi. Resistance says hi.

You can sell the biggest pilling steams of shit you want, and people will still buy it simply because it’s the only thing they’ve been exposed to and they don’t possess the mental capacity to appreciate anything of higher quality.

“These people just can’t get their heads around the fact that they just don’t like the most popular game around today.”

And some of us… simply think it’s shit. Really, it is actually that simple for many of us. Here it is again: Some of us simply think it’s shit.

Hard to comprehend, I know.

33. DSB

Good post, OG.

I think it’s pretty obvious that that’s the case. Pretty much from the time it came out until we hit Modern Warfare, CoD was always doing the same thing from game to game. Nothing changed except the scenery, and as long as the games were only selling 3-5 million, there was no harm done to anyones mind, and people felt good about enjoying it.

Then you hit 10 million with Modern Warfare, and it suddenly became “everybody’s game”. And that’s when you start to get peoples panties in a twist.

If you read a lot of the posts, people seem to focus an awful lot on the succes of the game, or who they believe is playing it, rather than what the game actually delivers. Before CoD hit 10 million, it was a landmark series to most peoples minds, but as soon as it went above, it was ALL WRONG!

Compare it to a game like Madden NFL. Not only is it a game on a 1 year development cycle, but it’s also a game that’s been going in the wrong direction, and alienating its players for the better part of 5 years. So why isn’t this game being pounded on by angry gamers? To me that’s easy, it just doesn’t sell enough.

6 million copies/year = Cool
    20 million copies/year = So uncool

34. OlderGamer

I really don’t agree with G1GA, sorry man. But people don’t hate COD because they get bullied. You can’t claim that people that don’t enjoy one flavor of MP FPS are just weak, while the ones that do are somehow dominate. Thats just crazy.

A video game is a video game, period.

And the majority of kids that own a game(anygame) have had to have their parents buy it for them. Bully or not. And the reason they ask their parents to buy one franchise over another is peer preasure and advertising. Kids are extremly suseptible to both.

It isn’t about playing the better game(and say that out loud to hear how stupid such an arguement is anyways), but instead when a kid has his parents preorder the game before its even out … that peer preasure, advertising, etc.

And I know your not implying that only kids play COD anyways.

I was just saying, i don’t think builying has anything to do with owning a game. Neither, btw, does being good or bad at it. Fact is, if you can play one MP FPS, you can pretty much play em all.

The whole COD VS BF thing is like Coke VS Pepsi anyways. Both cola softdrinks.

35. Ireland Michael

@35 Coca Cola sucks.

36. DaMan

I don’t get the obsession with the underdogs some people ‘re having. Vanquish and Gears were mentioned in this thread, well tell you what, people don’t buy the former ’cause it doesn’t have enough value. Sad but true.

37. Ireland Michael

@37 Quality > Quantity.

38. DSB

It’s not going to be, we’re still having fun.

Lady Gaga doesn’t sell a lot of records, and Britney Spears hasn’t for a long time. Their products mostly consist of blindsiding people into accepting a place for them above the rest of society, and then charging people to come and look at them. That’s hardly comparable to a box you take home with you from a Gamestop, but I have no problem conceding that in terms of the brainfood, CoD is certainly on the same level as movies like Transformers and Rambo 3.

The thing is, though, a game doesn’t have to be high brow, intellectually stimulating, emotionally moving or socially relevant, to be fun.

Because unlike Lady Gaga, Transformers, or fuckin’ Larry The Cableguy, it isn’t a passive show unfolding before your eyes, it’s an activity you have to take part in.

So you can call it low brow as much as you like, I’d say going shooting with a bunch of rednecks, or mudding in an old 4-door sedan is pretty low brow as well – But it’s still a fucking good time!

39. DaMan

Vanquish didn’t offer quality.. playing against AI in any shooter couldn’t be compared to even mediocre human players.

Besides, Ghz wasn’t calling other players ‘weak’, it’s just their inflated perception of demanding games that he was referring to.

40. Christopher Jack

@34, You’re correct, a lot of people find it insulting when a simple game that’s average in every single aspect in their perspective, beating visually & mechanically stronger games.

41. Fin

If you don’t like something, don’t buy it.

What do ye actually hope to accomplish by disparaging something on the internet?
    Nobody’s going to change popular opinion, and despite all that’s been said, I enjoy Call of Duty games. Sure some are mechanically better (Battlefield), some are more innovative (Bulletstorm), some are more artistic (Child of Eden), but that doesn’t stop CoD from being fun, or stop me from buying it, along with the others I’ve mentioned.

Get over yerselves.

DSB’s correct above. Back when Activision, Infinity Ward and Treyarch were churning out one Call of Duty a year, that sold under a million copies, nobody complained. Then they got popular, and suddenly it’s OH SHIT THESE ARE THE WORST GAMES EVER.

Hypocrites.

42. DSB

@41 I suppose those people should evaluate their petty need to dictate to others what it is correct to buy and what’s not. Last time I checked, the world was a bit more complex than that, and people actually had the ability to choose and think for themselves.

I can’t see why I should sympathize with whiners who apparently don’t realize or accept that.

43. G1GAHURTZ

I didn’t say bullying was the reason.

I made the point that people just don’t like liking the same things as people that they don’t like.

Why, because you associate it with everything you despise about those people.

Just like CoD.

I’m not saying that they get bullied, but they just don’t like the people who play it. They can’t stand that it makes them happy, and they can’t stand that many of them are very good at the game.

44. OrbitMonkey

Pepsi sucks ass! Only drunk by kids & retards!! Coke Cola ftw!!

45. Ireland Michael

“If you hate football fans, but you love Pavaroti, and next year Pavaroti (who’s dead, I know, but I can’t be bothered to think of another example) releases a world cup song that all the hooligans love and sing in every public space in the country, you’re going to end up hating that song.”

Only if you’re an idiot who can only think in simplistic, consumer-driven ways. If the song is good, it’ll always be good, no matter what its associated with.

My dislike of the Call of Duty games has absolutely nothing to do with their popularity, and it never will. Any franchise that rehashes the same exact shit every single year is shit as far as I’m concerned.

“@Michael You don’t just think it’s shit, though. You think you know it’s shit, and that it should be truth to anyone.”

No I don’t. I just think it’s shit.

Buy it all you want. Play it as much as you want. I’m still going to think it’s shit though.

“So you can call it low brow as much as you like.”

It’s low brow even amongst the low brow stuff.

“I’d say going shooting with a bunch of rednecks, or mudding in an old 4-door sedan is pretty low brow as well – But it’s still a fucking good time!”

I guess that’s why I consider none of those a good time then. I think shooting is a barbaric, neanderthal activity, rednecks are the most annoying people on the planet, and big cars frankly don’t impress me in the slightest.

I’m a tea-cup carrying, tweed-wearing mofo though, so that’s to be expected. =P

46. Johnny Cullen

Excuse me, but I drink Pepsi (albeit, I have a Coke addiction when in the mainland).

47. G1GAHURTZ

And I never said otherwise.

You’re perfectly entitled to your opinion. And I don’t see anything wrong with you having that opinion.

There are tons of games that I don’t like.

You won’t find me endlessly trolling articles about them, though.

There’s a huge difference between genuinely not liking a game and actively bad mouthing it at every possible opportunity.

48. Maximum Payne

Actually BF3 vs MW3 is is like Cola vs Ice tea or something its just different sort.
    MoH vs Cod or Homefront vs Cod is Cola vs Pepsi
    @48 But this time Cod actually have strong ”competitor ” unlike MoH,Killzone,Homefront….

49. G1GAHURTZ

If you don’t like something, don’t buy it.

Get over yerselves.

This.

50. DSB

@46 Haha! Well, fair enough :p

I just think people should check themselves before they knock it on others behalf. I have no trouble seeing how some people wouldn’t like it, or at this point how they might just be tired of the whole thing.

It’s just the notion that I should somehow be bound by my intellect, or my right as a free human being, not to play it.

Dislike the game all you want, but that’s where I draw the line. I haven’t met anyone who enjoyed CoD for no reason.

51. reask

You see og you have to think what is a pile of shit really.
    I played mass effect 1 about a year ago and just didn’t get it.
    I tried mgs4 and just didn’t get it.
    Tom Clancy splinter cell chaos theory the same.
    Oblivion I lasted about an hour I reckon all told.

I still did not feel though that I thought they were crap because I know millions love them.
    Same goes for Mario or zelda or whatever.
    Every day I come home from work my wife has you tube on playing every cheesy song I always hated.
    Does that make her stupid? (OK she married me so do not go there.) :)
    She is actually a fairly successful working mum.

Why did I not like ME or the other games?
    I mean the reviews for all of them are astounding not to mention peoples love for them.

I have bought every cod game because I enjoyed every one.
    I agree sp has deteriorated but its not about the sp any more really.
    My fav was cod 2 on 360.
    Great game played on the hardest setting.

You say it got too big but that doesn’t mean its a pile of garbage in all fairness.
    My initial foray in here was about the amount of hate it brings and you would have to agree with Giga to some extent that some of that is because folks just cannot hack it online.

I don’t play it any more but I know if I popped it in I would be head raped by some of the players on it.

Fact is the game is very competitive and it appears to me that Giga has a point on the insecurity bit.

I just don’t believe that its as simple as what some are saying about it.
    You had spec ops on 2 which was good if you didn’t fancy the multi so in all fairness the game was good value as a stand alone product.

I like fps games and always have so for me to get in to a debate about rpg games or whatever is pretty silly as I don’t get them.
    So I dont understand why others would say mw is a pile of crap unless they can point out others that somehow are superior and get no kudos.

Bit of a rant really but I hate typing so that’s it.

52. StolenGlory

I’m in a quite a unique position in that the last CoD I played was the first Modern Warfare back in the day and I thought it was great, yet, I haven’t bought any of the other CoD titles that succeeded it.

The reason? I discovered Battlefield and realised that sort of gameplay was something that I found to be more fun. I wasn’t shit at CoD, far from it, but I like the idea of driving vehicles, I like the idea of destructible environments and I like the idea of large, open maps. Yet even with my effective ‘migration’ to the Battlefield series, I don’t feel I am ‘enlightened’ in anyway and that I should stomp into CoD forums and berate the shit out of people who have found (and continue to find) their enjoyment in the CoD games.

Hell no. Both game franchises are quality, well-built FPS multiplayer franchises that excel at what they do. Sales figures and online usage figures aside, they both do their job extremely well and I can honestly say I don’t give a flying fuck as to whether or not MW3 will have three times the amount of players as BF3 will. I’ll still be able to find a server to play on, it’ll still be full and most importantly, i’ll still have fun. Also, at the same time, the latest CoD game by all accounts, will succeed in scratching that itch that I have for an instantly gratifying, frenetic FPS experience that BF just doesn’t cater for.

I also reject the idea that all the CoD games have been so minimally evolved from each other, I mean, given the tight focus on such a closely knit experience, surely the devil is in the details even more than before? So new guns, rebalancing of old ones, new perks and other things that BF elitists may scoff at, are actually a fairly big deal for the CoD faithful who play this game day in, day out.

In fact, As far as CoD goes; there have been so many tweaks and rebalances that have happened since MW1, that i’m almost completely lost. To this end, I’ve been asking around this forum for over a month now about what will make CoD:MW3 great and how it has improved from the iteration that I played way back in the mists of 2007 and it’s folks like G1GA, DSB and others who have been extremely helpful in giving me a breakdown of what to expect without giving me a helping of your ‘primary FPS of choice is shit’ on the side.

I like to approach everything with at least a decent degree of open-mindedness and just as sure as I don’t see CoD:MW3 replacing BF3 as my de-facto choice for competitive multiplayer FPS gaming anytime soon, it’s just as likely that longer-term CoD players won’t gravitate over to BF3, because they’ve already found their fun and they know what they enjoy.

Folks really shouldn’t get too hung up on who formulates the percieved majority of a given gamer demographic either. I mean, who gives a toss if all CoD players are supposedly degenerate chavs or if all BF players are satan worshipping hybrid-baboons; I like both games and doing so doesn’t make me a proxy in any sense, to the assumed majority demographic that plays the game in question. I shouldn’t (and don’t) give a toss who likes it alongside me.

53. Ireland Michael

“You won’t find me endlessly trolling articles about them, though.”

It’s official. The entire internet has completely lost its understanding of the meaning of the word “trolling”. “Trolling” is the act of creating an opinion with the deliberate intention of getting a negative reaction out of people.

I (and many other people) are going to express my (our) opinion on something whether it’s positive or negative. If you have a problem with that… well, feel free to keep living in PussyVille, USA, where everyone is politically correct and hyper-sensitive about the diverse reality of people and how they feel about things.

If you don’t like what I have to say about the game, you can simply move on past my post and respond to someone else. You guys are the ones responding to me. I’m wouldn’t keep discussing the subject if people didn’t talking about it to me directly – that’s how discussion works.

54. G1GAHURTZ

And this ‘Gaga/NKOTB/TeleTubbies/whatever else is popular too!’ argument fails.

It fails, because none of them compare with games.

Music/films get to the top of the charts by being bought/watched ONCE.

People have to keep playing it daily.

I can DL a Gaga tune today and hate it tomorrow (btw, she sells sex, and popular appeal, not music on it’s own. People aren’t going to get bored of those things any time soon!), and never listen to it again.

There are no most listened to charts.

There are no most watched charts.

There IS a most played chart, and the most played game is the one that people keep coming back to because there’s nothing better available.

Simple as.

55. OrbitMonkey

@johnny Cullen, Lol I was making a funny, forgot the ;)

Besides everyone knows 7up is king!!

56. Ireland Michael

“A game cannot get to the top of the most played charts FOR YEARS ON END, by being played once!”

But it can when people simply don’t know any better.

Ignorance is bliss.

That’s the sole reason why World of Warcraft is the most single popular MMORPG on the market, despite being one of the most simplistic and skill-less games in the genre.

57. Deacon

I’m with Michael. But there are a lot of good points here.

I think the reason I troll CoD (other than because I genuinely think it’s shit) is down to the sheer weight of their advertising campaign and the fuck-tonne of articles and videos posted daily about the next batch of changes to be implemented on the next iteration.

Being constantly smashed in the face by a franchise you have no love for is bound to provoke some nerd-rage.

58. G1GAHURTZ

No Michael, you’re trolling.

I noticed today that before I commented in this article, you’d commented in about 3 or 4 articles.

All of them about CoD or IW, all of them negative.

You’ve been getting worse recently, and I’ve been ignoring you, but let’s not be silly about this. You ARE trolling.

You should at least have the honesty to admit that.

59. Fin

Urr…have you not seen the amount of Battlefield 3/EA/DICE articles? There are easily as many of them as there are Modern Warfare 3/Acitivision/Infinity Ward.

60. G1GAHURTZ

Thank you Deacon, this is what I’m saying.

61. Deacon

But .. urrrr … I love BF3 !? ;)

62. OlderGamer

Fair enough G1GA.

And reask, your right, its not up to me to call any game crap. The judgment of a games value is and always will be up to the person playing it.

My feeling is just that I have franchise fatigue really bad this gen. I play less this gen then any other gen in my life. Maybe I am just getting too old. But in my mind there is a growing pile of bad games that I wouldn’t play if the game was free.

I still enjoy games, but different kinds of games. Games like the stuff on PSN/Steam/XBLA. Downloading Crimson Allience as I type this – very excited about that game.

The older I get(and I bet most of us will also have the same situation), the less I enjoy the big boxed games. And the more jaded I become. I try and keep that in check, understanding that its mostly me, and prolly mostly my age. But I still smell that rotting pile of shit with the words Wii/PS3/Xbox360 written at the top and on the sides of the boxes. ;)

63. Ireland Michael

@59 Oh yes, lets ignore the other three or four non Modern Warfare articles that have been posted today that I responded to…

I respond to articles on the site. It just so happens that a significant portion of them right now are Modern Warfare related ones.

“I’ll be honest… I found that VG247 Rules thread in the Forum, and I was pretty close to pointing out your trolling activities in detail and raising the question of having you banned.”

You go right on ahead and do that. Pat’s probably going to laugh his off at someone wanting someone banned simply because they don’t like your favourite franchise.

Nowhere in my posts have I directly insulted anyone – nowhere have I said that you guys are the simpletons, only that the game is made up of a lot of them.

So yeah, have fun with that.

64. reask

In all fairness Michael expressing an opinion and calling something shite that is only played by basement dwellers are 2 different things IMHO.

65. AHA-Lambda

@42 – orsonwellesclap.gif

66. G1GAHURTZ

I don’t see why tea should get banned for trolling ‘anti-Sony’ stuff, but you should get away with your recent activity.

You’re nowhere near his level (yet) that’s for sure, but fair is fair.

67. G1GAHURTZ

@65:

68. StolenGlory

In fairness, I believe that TEA was banned for being borderline insane and spouting far too much self-righteous rage that was more or less targeted directly at Pat (and others who didn’t agree with him on the topic of, well, anything) based off of TEA’s warped idea of how he ran this site.

69. DaMan

By the way, the ‘simplistic’ argument is misguided, when you have more than a dozen-two people playing the game it gets to a point where the one barely able to move a crosshair can outperform an MLG pro. Fair enough if you’re into multifront battlefields but using that to point out CoD weakness is what ignorance is about.

70. DSB

This is pretty much the first CoD/Not-CoD article I can remember where any sort of rational progress has been made.

I still think you’re making it very black and white Michael. The fact that people listen to stupid songs on the radio or on their iPods while they’re cleaning their bathrooms or whatever, says absolutely nothing for how they genuinely feel about the song itself. It’s just good to have around. There’s nowhere near the same investment as the one a gamer has in the average game.

Having spent quite some time on music production myself, I can attest that if you take those songs apart, there’s lots of bits and pieces in there that take genuine talent to come up with. As far as I know, Lady Gaga is a classically trained pianist.

I still don’t think the analogy is apt though, since people like Britney Spears and Lady Gaga are really not in the business of selling music, they’re in the business of selling themselves. If they can put themselves in a position that’s percieved as being above everybody else, then they can make a certain ammount of people come out to see them in concert, and earn a living.

To take another example, there’s a very popular boyband in Denmark that outsells everyone year after year. Their lyrics are all sexual innuendo and they look like a couple of fags. They sell 10,000 copies like it was nothing (a lot, these days) – But who’s buying it? According to statistics, 7-12 year old girls.

Simply put, they’re not selling music, they’re selling two guys who look like fags, and make little girls tickle.

71. AHA-Lambda

can i just leave this here and go? I am quite frankly getting sick of the CoD bashing aswell, who cares its just a game. Gaming got mainstream, it sold out just like music and hollywood. Doesnt mean good innovative stuff doesnt get made just look for it elsewhere, especially steam, xbla/psn and iOS

72. Ireland Michael

@65 Nowhere did I say it was only played by basement dwellers. Read it again.

“I’m not saying that you’re a simpleton if you play it. I’m saying that the majority of the people who play it are. 13 year old kids (who should be monitored better by their parents) and lazy, basement dwelling males whose entire breath of gaming experience is Halo, Call of Duty and Gears of War.”

Note the use of the word “majority” in the sentence. Note how the word “majority” doesn’t mean “everyone”. Note how *nothing* I’ve said has singled out any user and that none of my remarks have been aimed at them.

You’re the one taking a remark that isn’t even directed at you and taking it personally. If I actually thought someone here was a lazy, basement dwelling loser, I would have said it straight to them.

@67 TEA was never banned for disliking Sony. TEA was banned for directly insulting people constantly in his posts. He was directing his insults straight at users, constantly, in almost every single thread he posted in.

The difference here is not that hard to understand. Seriously.

@71 Franchise selling is not that different. It’s all about creating a brand. That’s all Call of Duty has become… the Denmark boy-band of video games.

73. OrbitMonkey

Could it be that Ireland_Michael is becoming the thing he hates? A internet troll?!! How very Nietzche o_O

Of course he’ll blame COD ;)

74. DSB

@73 Ah-ah, you’re missing the point.

Marketing is marketing, we’re talking about products. And the products couldn’t be more different. One is marketing a human being, the other is marketing a designed, creative activity.

You can’t play a game without investing yourself in it. You can very much listen to music without doing it.

I listen to plenty of popular music whenever I’m driving around, because I can’t be arsed to bring my own. It does fine for a drive, but would I ever listen to it outside traffic? Fuck no.

The same cannot be said for a game, unless you play in terribly short bursts at a time. Most people will invest a lot more, and they’ll be subjected to the intricate bits and pieces of the game in a way that most people never would listening to music.

To do the same thing with music, you’d basically need to let people mix their own song, and pick their own effects.

75. M. K.

lol Michael, what’s wrong with you? Call of Duty is the best shooter this generation, you can’t argue with that. It’s not about power, advertising or mindcontroll. The game is fun, sure it’s technically outdated, but it’s fun.

And I’m ready to pay 40€ every year to have fun.

PS: I haven’t seen an Ad for Call of Duty in a while :(

76. Ireland Michael

@76 “Call of Duty is the best shooter this generation, you can’t argue with that.”

Uuuh, yes I can. Very easily in fact.

77. reask

LOL @ 73.

Right then I think I get it now.
    The majority are lazy basement dwelling males and 13 year olds but if you play it you may not be in that category. ;)
    My bad so for taking your comment out of context.

I reckon I will just walk quietly away now and leave this wonderful thread to the basement dwelling 13 year olds. :)

78. Ireland Michael

@78 The average casual video game consumer doesn’t sit around video game news websites discussing the game the game. They’re too busy sitting in their mom’s basement playing the game, after all.

It’s just like how the average WoW player doesn’t actually go onto the World of Warcraft forums, only the hardcore players. They’re too busy playing the game to get caught up in that shitstorm.

Again, if someone wants to talk a remark not directed at them personally, that’s entirely their choice. Doesn’t change the fact that it’s not directed at them.

79. StolenGlory

“Call of Duty is the best shooter this generation, you can’t argue with that.”

Anybody can argue with that assumption; given that ‘best’ is an intangible metric. The same thing would apply like if ‘Battlefield’ was substituted in place of ‘Call of Duty’ in your comment.

Horses for courses etc.

80. M. K.

`Uuuh, yes I can. Very easily in fact.`

Really? Okay, maybe there’s Halo, but even Halo is not that much played by people like CoD.

/e: Now that I mentioned Halo I recognized that we could have the same discussion about Halo games. Microsoft has the money, microsoft makes the people buy it!111

PS: I don’t like Halo, but I love Lady GaGa xDDD

81. Ireland Michael

@81 I don’t like Halo either.

82. DSB

I’ve played nearly 200 hours of MW2 personally, and I haven’t been able to establish any of the pretty simplistic stereotypes that people put out. You’ll always have idiots popping out of the woodwork to go “NICE!” or “OWNED!” after a game, they do that in BC2 as well, but I haven’t found it to be the rule, playing the game. Most people suffice with a “GG” and some whine with a “BG” if they need to.

Personally I’m 26 years old, average intelligence, I’ve read a few books, done a bit of music, done some writing. And the people I usually play with are 30+, holding executive jobs, and an editor of the sports news segment on the evening news.

I’m obviously not saying they’re the norm, but given that we have no problem enjoying CoD between us, I think the notion that it’s somehow only for these imaginary brainwashed zombies who apparently do anything the TV tells them to, is a bit of a stretch.

83. reask

I really don’t get why you are saying someone taking a remark not intended for them?

Just as a side thing here Michael.
    What fps games do you actually think are much superior to this one?
    Both online and sp of course.

84. Ireland Michael

Let me make one thing clear.

I’ve played and thoroughly enjoyed the original Call of Duty, as well as Modern Warfare 1. At the time, it was still inventive and original. And Infinity Ward definitely have a talent for making the Call of Duty games feel meaty and visceral in a way that the other developers of the franchise do not.

With 1, 2, 3 and 4, you can could at least feel the changes and evolution between titles, as the experience provided along with the technology.

But since then… beyond moving a few weapons around and changing how your level, the core experience of the game has completely stagnated. By Modern Warfare 2, I’d becoming completely tired of playing the exact same thing again, and again, to the point where I simply found absolutely no enjoyment in the experience.

Modern Warfare 3 doesn’t just look like the “same old, same old”. It looks like a step back. The graphics look cheap and plastic, and the animations look terrible (again, something Infinity Ward actually had a knack for), and absolutely nothing new has been added to the core experience of the game.

@84 Battlefield 2, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Team Fortress 2 and Bulletstorm.

85. Fin

| I, and many others, are simply tired shitless of the Call of Duty experience, and have moved on.

Apart from when it comes to posting comments about it :-p

86. OrbitMonkey

@83, Completely agree with, my little clan are all between 25-35 & the most vocal online sure don’t sound like their waiting for their balls too drop…

Tbh the most abusive/aggressive guys on COD are easily adult males, probably scared all those 13 year olds away :)

87. DSB

@85 And you’re perfectly entitled to think what you think Michael.

I’ve played the same games (with the exception of 3) and personally haven’t seen any major shifts towards anything new, except for the added spectacle of going into Modern Warfare.

There’s a bit more shit going on in the background, there’s a lot more scripting, and it looks slightly better with each go, but fundamentally the gameplay is still the same as we played it in 2003, with the exception of multiplayer, which got a much needed kick in the ass with MW2 in my opinion. The only real difference is that Treyarch barged in and started making some subpar copies every other year.

I’m not saying that’s the ultimate account, I’m just saying we have much the same references, and an entirely different idea of how they fit.

Fundamentally I think the idea that people don’t choose or think for themselves is completely idiotic, and even with the exagerated role that marketing is given these days, I’m pretty sure that any marketing exec would agree. Marketing can’t make you buy anything, at most it can make you consider it.

Emphasis on “consider”.

88. reask

Well I only played the first bf so I cannot compare.
    Some valid points there in your last post as I deffo thought the sp in mw2 was the worst.
    Way too scripted and too easy imo.
    I finished it on the highest setting first time out.

I thought they were going back to the older feel in this one on the multi,no?

89. M. K.

`Battlefield 2, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Team Fortress 2 and Bulletstorm`

1. great but no singleplayer and last gen :F, 2. good but crap singleplayer, 3. (imo) overhyped crap and no singleplayer, 4. awesome, but no multiplayer but the lame echo mode, right?

=)

90. Ireland Michael

@90 Bulletstorm has a “horde mode” multiplayer, and it’s some of the best fun I’ve had online in an FPS in years.

I play for the multiplayer component. I couldn’t honestly give a damn about the single player in most of these kinda games, bar Bulletstorm, simply because it was so unique and incentive in a genre showered with turds.

91. G1GAHURTZ

@85:

Errrm…

For a start, CoDs 2 and 3 were both criticised for continuing a much over saturated WW2 sub-genre. Nothing “inventive” or “original” about that, whatsoever.

CoD3 was a horrible mess… no… let me start that sentence again:

CoD3 was an utterly disgusting, cheap, nasty, pathetically horrible pool of steaming, putrid diarrhea. It wasn’t a step backwards, it was a jump back into the dark ages. (I still remember seeing enemies spawn right in the middle of the battlefield!)

CoD4, as DSB has pointed out, was effectively CoD2 in a modern setting the only real change was the engine improvements and the MP. It was the MP that was so far ahead of the competition.

WaW was a love it or hate it game. The MP was basically CoD4′s, but in a different setting. No change there, I’ll admit that.

MW2 just took CoD4 and made it 10 times bigger.

BO took MW2 and took out much of the excessive stuff. It made things more simple and closer to CoD4, than MW2.

So it should be blatantly clear, to anyone who’s actually played them, that these games are not the same, or even close to being ‘basically the same game’ by any stretch of the imagination.

That’s why you get people like DSB, who like MW2, but not BO. Or people like Erthazus who hate MW2, but play BO for 500 hours. If they were the same game, that simply wouldn’t happen.

Would it?

92. StolenGlory

“Or people like Erthazus who hate MW2, but play BO for 500 hours.”

Sorry, this still cracks me up :)

93. DaMan

#75 Well put.

For the record however, population of the game doesn’t automatically imply superiority either, it ‘d be shallow to disregard other factors such as the learning curve, accessibility in general and personal preferences. You don’t see MLG as the most populated playlist. Fun is subjective, and can vary from time to time even for the same person, no to mention you meet plenty of different kinds of players online, from 12 years old girls to old men.