Battlefield 3′s unlocks may take 100 hours to collect

Tuesday, 6th September 2011 04:25 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Those who feel the need to achieve everything in Battlefield 3 could be looking at a significant investment of time.

“If you unlock every weapon, every gadget, and every unlock for every weapon… something like 100 hours,” senior gameplay designer Alan Kertz tweeted.

The astounding figure comes in the wake of comments from other designers that progressing through all the unlocks would take “years”.

DICE is yet to commit to an estimate of Battlefield 3′s single-player campaign, with David Goldfarb telling Pat only that it’s a “decent length”. An earlier comment from Karl Magnus Troedsson put the campaign at around 12 hours.

Battlefield 3 is due on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox in late October.

Thanks, BF3 Blog, via Yoshi.

1. G1GAHURTZ

Now… without getting my calculator out, surely there are more than 100 hours in “years”?

2. noherczeg

#1

For an Average Joe That could mean years yes…

3. GrimRita

Some of the unlocks I found in Alpha were pointless. And frankly, what is the point of unlocking something that adds no benefit (in other words crap) compared to what you are currently armed with, like in BC2?

4. Erthazus

@3, There are achievement whores.

5. Old MacDonald

Way to make me not want to play what otherwise seems like decent MP game.

6. endgame

@5 1st: so what should they do dumb ass? make all the current unlockables available from the start or make it easier for pathetic losers like u to unlock them? true BF fans expect to play this game for years. and so we get the sense of achievement even after hundreds of hours of gameplay something that u COD players lose after a few hours of gameplay. hell, after 700+ hours of gameplay of BFBC2 I’m doing some incredibly cool stuff that I never thought I could possibly do, like planting C4 on a street and triggering it when the tank passes near it while I’m standing 100+ meters away with no clear line of sight but listening only to the sound of the moving vehicle. ofc as a COD player u can’t even grasp the awesomeness of the stuff that we can do in BF games. and 2nd: “decent”? please don’t buy the game moron. u’re clearly a weakling and therefor u should stay with your own crowd. BF players r smarter and much more experienced than u will ever be. so just, STAY AWAY!

7. YoungZer0

@6: Butthurt much?

8. viralshag

I’m not sure what the problem is. I would rather have a challenge and something that takes some work.

9. YoungZer0

@8: Ever played BC2? The unlocking takes weeks. In the end, it really, really felt like grinding. Unlocking in CoD feels like fun.

10. Yoshi

@7 I’m pretty sure butthurt is the wrong word.
    @9 I never really felt like it was going to extreme lengths of say grinding, it felt good to have to play as each class to get all the weapons. Plus unlocking in CoD is just borring in my opinion, I played it yesterday, top score on HC and I uninstalled it after playing, that’s how fun Black ops is.

11. Old MacDonald

6: Judging by your post, you were in diapers when the first BF was released and I was happily playing it online without unlocks or any such stupid nonsense.

12. viralshag

@9, I have to agree with Yoshi, I enjoyed unlocking all the equipment for each class and I wouldn’t say I found that a grind.

I guess if we are talking about all the individual insignias and pins and stuff like that then yeah it might have been bit of a grind. I’m more bothered about just unlocking all the gear, so like I said, it was fine for me in that respect.

13. stretch215

@6 what a fanboy. I literally lol’d. Your need to smoke a joint or meditate or something. Why so mad. Also, I play cod and ill whip your ass in bc2.

14. endgame

@7 what?

@9 uum no! not for me it it didn’t. but then again I’m not a loser like u r. oh wait u’re a cod player. so that’s why everything seems like such a big challenge for u.

@11 and judging by YOUR posts u r old so that explains why u hate DICE’s decision to make everything unlockable at that rate. because 1: u’re slow! psychologically and physically and 2: u don’t have much time left. my condolences then.

@13 “what a fanboy” says the cod boy. “I play cod and ill whip your ass in bc2″ not really sure how u would whip my ass in bfbc2 if u’re playing cod.. also whipping my ass!? what? sup with that? sounds kind of gay. seriously! do u like doing that to other guys? is that what u cold players r doing to each other? oh that is so wrong.

15. YoungZer0

@14: Troll harder.

16. endgame

@15 seriously? is that all u got? well I guess I can’t expect much from a cod player..

17. YoungZer0

18. DSB

Right, let’s flaunt how laborious the levelling system is in our new game. Both Infinity Ward and DICE seem to be doing everyone massive disfavors based on listening to people on the internet.

Oddly enough it looks to me like endgame is acting pretty much how whiners would claim the average CoD player does.

19. SangheiliSpecOp

LOL, You guys and this article/site need to get the facts straight. Are your guys all so dumb to believe anything that people say? Demize99′s tweet was an answer to the question, and I quote: “how long would it take on average to complete a kit”, to which demize99 replied 100 hours. The question was then asked: “So is they 100 hours of unlocking everything within that class? Including gadgets, specs, weapons, weapon customizations? Or more?” to which Demize replied: Just kit weapons and gadgets. Not all kit stuff, dog tags, medals, ribbons, vehicle stuff… The other three kits. Tons!”. Link: https://twitter.com/#!/Demize99 Search for it and stop making yourselves look like fools. EDIT: Sorry to sound to harsh, but this article is so misinformed.

20. monkeygourmet

When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol’ Jack Burton always says at a time like that: “Have ya paid your dues, Jack?” “Yessir, the check is in the mail.”