DICE: The Mirror’s Edge “dream is definitely still there”

Tuesday, 30th August 2011 14:59 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Faith no more? Don’t bank on it. Repeated suggestions that Mirror’s Edge will return have been compounded today by DICE creative boss Lars Gustavsson refusing to count out more from the first-person fan-favourite.

“No, the dream is definitely still there,” said Gustavsson, speaking to VG247 at DICE’s Stockholm offices.

“It’s a game loved by the studio. It’s one of those games where you miss the universe, such as Shadow of the Colossus. I really liked Alan Wake, for example; I miss being in that universe. I miss being in the Mirror’s Edge universe; sometimes I just need to pick up the controller and play a bit, just to be back.

“Well, who knows what the future brings? But I would really happy to see it out there again.”

Talk of sequel is now gathering pace. OPM rumoured the game was being developed in July, saying the Frostbite 2 engine being used for Battlefield 3 will pave a way for its return.

Earlier in the month, EA Games Europe VP Patrick Soderlund said DICE had “not abandoned the franchise,” and that EA is “working on something,” but refused to elaborate.

Fellow EA exec Frank Gibeau said in June that EA is now “actively looking at how to bring it back in the right way.”

Soderlund originally confirmed a second Mirror’s Edge title in June 2009, saying a “small team” was working on the game.

However, reports emerged in February this year that the project had stalled.

Mirror’s Edge, a near-future adventure based on the exploits of protagonist Faith, released in 2008.

The game drew attention thanks to its distinctive art style and free-running first-person mechanics, which centred on moving through environments as opposed to simply shooting.

1. daytripper

not a first person fan but i loved mirrors edge

2. TD_Monstrous69

I loved Mirror’s Edge, and really hope the sequel comes sooner rather than later, and on Frostbite 2.

3. FeaturePreacher

Faith better be able to use a gun at all times and it better include some online multiplayer if they don’t want this to be the commercial flop the first one was.

4. OrbitMonkey

^ To be fair didn’t Mirrors Edge release in the same week as World at War? Not exactly an ideal time for a new ip to release.

As for Faith needing to carry a gun… well then it’d be just another dull fps. Plus clocking the game was a piece of piss when you could shoot people ;)

Be very happy if they bring this back though, hope they keep its style :)

5. RandomTiger

@3 Quite possibly your right but at the risk of turning it into a generic shooter with tacked on multiplayer I would prefer just to stick with the first.

6. CaptPierce

There’d be ways to make multiplayer interesting. Like have Cops and Runners or something; Runners deliver a package, the police try to stop them. But only give the Runners a pistol, while the cops can use all weapons.

Also, give Faith the ability to carry handguns at all times and reload, but make it so she’s got like 2-3 mags to prevent it from becoming a stale shooter.

7. freedoms_stain

I liked the way they handled weapons in the first game, Faith isn’t a killer, she’s a runner, combat should be about disarming and disabling. They could implement a points system alongside the time trial whereby you get points for perfectly executed free run chains, disarms and disables and lose points for fluffing your jumps failing a disarm and killing.

8. Edo

After all the fuss,and Battlefield 3 is finally released,they are going to announce it officially…that’s what I wish for.

9. Prof.Dr.Moertel

“I really liked Alan Wake”
    I think I like this Gustavsson guy :)

10. Noodlemanny

I thought the over use of combat ruined the game a little. That stupid thing EA’s been doing recently with over used combat like in Dragon Age 2 and Dead Space 2. It’s not fun to fight wave upon wave of enemies in the same room over and over again.
    It was fun to run although a little difficult to do it smoothly (needed quite alot of practice… a prober training ground would have been good) and I was always, always getting lost. So the game defiantly had its problems but I still loved it and really want a sequel especially since they’ll obviously iron out some problems from the first.

11. YoungZer0

A lot of guys here don’t even seem to get what Mirror’s Edge is all about.

“Give her a weapon!” “And Multiplayer!” “Yeah, with Team Deathmatch and Perks!”

12. OrbitMonkey