Image shows how far Elder Scrolls characters have come

Monday, 15th August 2011 15:50 GMT By Andrew Groen

Time is a cruel mistress for some classic video games, and a new image from Reddit is showing just how cruel.

The image first lined up non-player characters from the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion up against those from the upcoming Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. It was a little embarrassing to say the least. Six years have passed since Oblivion was first mocked for its horrible looking characters, and they’ve not aged well.

A new image is now up which lines both of them up against NPCs from Morrowind from way back in 2002. It’s jaw-dropping to say the least. It’s amazing to see a visual history of how far graphics technology has come in just the last ten years.

You can check out a full version of the image here (click the top comment for the version that includes Morrowind characters.)

1. Moonwalker1982

Yeah i posted this in the previous Skyrim article. This shit is lovely, and i laugh HARD at idiots who actually claim the games don’t look that different. I shit you not..there have been people who said ‘Meh…doesn’t look much better than Oblivion’ . The differences are night and day.

2. Phoenixblight

People will whine about anything and everything.

3. Moonwalker1982

Yeah exactly man.

Hah how funny, i just saw at ‘related posts’ ‘ No plans for an Elder Scrolls V’ the little liars :D

4. OrbitMonkey

Well tbh a lot of the sore ass moaners are pc players, still pissed Elder Scrolls went multiformat. Guarantee if Skyrim was pc only, you’d hear nothing but its praises being sung.

Just have a read of the DOTA thread. Pc only, lots of praise about its graphics… When imo. its not all that.

5. RoyBrown

What your trying to say is.

I got this image from Neogaf.

But I’m just going to say it was from reddit, and then not source the high res image?

Here, let me do it for you.

Tons of images on Skyrim and comparisons throughout the thread.

6. KAP

Wow. amazing.

From somebody who platinumed fallout 3 and new vegas but never even played Oblivion (no trophies included) im very very intrigued by the Elder Scrolls series, so much so ive found this site thats got a description of all the Elder scrolls games including videos and reviews.

Check it out: http://www.squidoo.com/ElderScrollsHistory

This day an age i hardly get excited by a game unless ive played a previous version but Skyrim is getting me so hyped. *repeated fist pumps*

7. Demiath

The improvements in the character models seem roughly on par with what you’d expect between a 2006 and a 2011 release, so there’s nothing earth-shattering to report here. I like that the Skyrim models have a bit more personality and grittiness, though. Elder Scrolls have always been a bit bland in the character departement and this seems a definite step up from earlier efforts (although the actual animation is still not great).

And welcome to the world outside whatever closet you’ve been hiding in for the last 15 years, KAP! Still, if you’re primarily console player (and a rather young one, at that) without a background in PC gaming I guess it’s not that hard to have missed the only TES game released on consoles so far. But for someone like me who has been playing (as well as actively disliking) Elder Scrolls games since 1995 it does boggle my mind somewhat…

8. Schindet Nemo

Back in Morrowind and Oblivion all the elf variants looked like humans with slightly pointy ears. I love how they try to make every race unique looking in Skyrim.Especially the Redguard and the Argonian looks badass.

9. OrbitMonkey

@7 Oblivion isn’t the only Elder Scrolls game on consoles. Morrow Wind was released on the xbox in 2002. Plus its been backwards compatible on the 360 since 2009 for anyone wanting to check it out.

10. GwynbleiddiuM

@9 There’s a slight difference, Morrowind originally was a PC released and was a port on xbox. The integrity of gameplay and rpg elements was not screwed because it had to be released on consoles. Quiet different with oblivion, as it was intended to be released on consoles, that’s why the inventory and interface got a fuck job in the face, even so, Oblivion was one of the best RPG titles I played this generation. I wish I could say the same for Fallout 3 and that pathetic NV but I can’t even though FO3 was still better than NV, gods damn it it had Liam Neeson in it. Can’t beat the Sean Bean though that guy is my hero. All in all I’m excited to see Skyrim one of the titles I’m eagerly waiting for.