Dark Souls comp could see your name in the game’s credits

Monday, 27th June 2011 23:49 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Namco Bandai is giving lucky Dark Souls fans-in-waiting the chance to design a shield for inclusion in the finished game.

Hosted on the game’s Facebook page, the competition will apparently kick off later today and run through July 28.

Namco Bandai will supply three different shield templates, and you’ll have until July 13 to submit your designs.

After a period of voting by the community which runs through July 20, the top ten in each template will be sent to members of From Software, who will select three winners.

The winning designs will appear in-game when Dark Souls releases on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in early October.

All those who make the shortlists will receive a copy of Dark Souls signed by director Hidetaka Miyazaki, while those who actually win will have their names featured in the game’s credits, “ensuring immortality no matter how many times they die while playing”. Heh.

Kick things off by liking the game’s Facebook page at the link above, then sharpen your crayons and get colouring, kids.

1. xino

how would this work?
    is there is photshop effect restriction or not?

2. Noodlemanny

NO WAY I GET TO PUT ONE SHIELD IN. Well I guess its better than a kick in the teeth. Or indeed no shields at all.
    You also get a signed copy which isn’t so bad. Name in the credits isn’t that amazing really.

3. MadFingerz

@2 :| This is one of the best game contests I’ve seen in a while. Many people would just be happy with their design appearing on the game. Aside from that, 10 participants will also get free signed copies, with the 3 winners receiving Limited Editions. And name in the credits is actually pretty cool. You can bet that if I win, I’ll put that on my resume :D

4. Noodlemanny

There just nothing there thats really really good. If you got a bunch off unbuyable gear that would be better but having one shield that probably no ones going to particularly notice and a name that even less people are going to notice doesn’t seem that cool to me.
    Pointing it out to friends would be pretty awesome though, I have to admit (and it would be very useful in a CV or resume).

5. MadFingerz

Well it’s a free to participate contest, so I don’t know what you were expecting. Much better than some crap I’ve seen in similar contests. Also, they seem to be extending this worldwide instead of US/Japan only.

But yeah, the winners’ shields being on the game would be much cooler if there’s some sort of inventory description acknowledging the winner somehow.

6. Telepathic.Geometry

I wonder how buff they’ll make the stats on that shield. I’d like to know what I’m building…