Crysis 2 DX11 patch finally released, detailed, videoed

Monday, 27th June 2011 18:37 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Crytek has released the DirectX 11 patch for Crysis 2 after a false start last week which saw information posted then pulled.

The Crysis 2 Ultra Upgrade is available via an auto installation when you boot up your PC copy of the shooter.

It’s cost you 2.3Gb. You will get:

• Tessellation + Displacement Mapping
  • High Quality HDR Motion Blur
  • Realistic Shadows with Variable Penumbra
  • Sprite Based Bokeh Depth of Field
  • Parallax Occlusion Mapping
  • Particles Motion Blur, Shadows and Art Updates
  • Water Rendering improvements and using Tessellation + Displacement Mapping
  • Realtime Local Reflections (DX9)
  • Contact Shadows (DX9)
  • Improved Tone Mapping (DX9)

There are more details on Crytek’s website, including the fact that the game’s map editor will release on Wednesday.

Check out a video of the upgrade’s features below.

1. Erthazus

Just some current generation effects. Nothing here that will blow any PC or gamer that wants the best performance. Just a standard list of a “must” things for the PC version.

2. Heinekeno

DX11 package was delayed for too long to still have the BOOM effect.

Anyway I hope Crytek learned to not joke around PC gamers!

3. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Looks nice. Water especially. I’ll be checking it out for sure. :)

4. DSB

Seriously, who needs a game when you can have interactive water?

5. Erthazus

Not even better then in Crysis 1. This is hillarious. With all Direct X11 herp derp, not even close.

That just shows what is consolization.

@DSB, Interactive Water is actually a really fantastic thing. You can use to add gameplay features to it. It’s basically what Uncharted 3 does, but much better.
    Uncharted 3 water is scripted, but here it can add depth (if it was designed that way).

Example: you are in the laboratory where is a giant aquarium. Shoot it and all stuff with the fishies are going to be all over the place. You can swim in that water, do other stuff.
    You can also use it for some “water puzzles”.
    In CE editor you can also use it, adding water level. It’s pretty simple and very effective for your own game|mod whatever. :)

6. Maximum Payne

@5 Well half of those improved are could add without DX11 and it would be much better if they work onimproving AI and release mood tool rather then this upgrade that look almost the same….

7. Gama_888

@5 Jc Erth get a grip
    They have released a (free) PURELY GRAPHICAL update into a game when they had no real reason to do so other than pleasing their fans and you are STILL bitching?

8. YoungZer0

@7: What did you expect from him? Bitching is all he does. That’s why Crytek should not give two fucks about the PC Community. Spoiled Brats, all of them.

9. Erthazus

@7, first of all. Thats not free.

A: You need to buy a game.
    B: That update should be from the start.
    C: It’s not add something mind blown to the experience. It’s a standard belts and whistles that almost every deveoper do these days.
    D: I’m not bitching. I don’t care really. I don’t play Crysis 2.

That update can make any mod team in a few months and they will do it even better like with first Crysis.

10. YoungZer0

@9: Of course it’s free. Your logic is as flawed as ever.

11. G1GAHURTZ

They’re only trying to shift a few more copies…

I’m not sure that this is enough, though.

12. ultramega

“Spoiled Brats, all of them.”
    And your ignorant comment demonstrates why I have no respect for you.

Not all of us act like Erthazus. You sound just as bad as him.

13. YoungZer0

@12: I don’t even know you. Also: PC is my main gaming platform. But i’d never admit it with people like Erth around.

14. DSB

There’s no difference between platform fanatics, whether it’s PC, PS3 or 360. A cunt is a cunt.

I definitely wouldn’t call us spoiled though. Waiting for ports of excellent games is no fun.

15. Hunam

But saying PC gamers are spoilt after 5 years of truly terrible ports which are half baked and often broken is a bit much.

16. YoungZer0

@15: I wasn’t talking about the whole 5 years, but primarily about this kind of example. They get something for free and still find something to complain about. They should be lucky it’s EA and not Activision, they’d ask for 15 Euros.

17. Gekidami

So PC gamers act like elite pricks for no reason whatsoever then? Thats even worst.

18. G1GAHURTZ

Many of them act like they’re something special because they can’t handle the fact that they have to spend £thousands on hardware for games which are better on console.

19. DSB

It is pretty hard to handle though.

Putting down 1000 euro for a machine that isn’t even capable of giving proper head or making you waffles, is not that easy to explain to people.

Ports have gotten a lot better though. I can just hook up my gamepad and most games will change the entire control interface without making me lift a finger.

20. Patrick Garratt

21. Phoenixblight

While it had the eye candy that made any developer and gamer alike drool it lacked in aesthetics and without that all you have is a very shallow game. Eye candy =/= Fun Game

22. DSB

It was a huge achievement for its time, I just wish it would’ve been half as much fun as Far Cry.

@21 Hi5! Same timestamp and everything.

23. Phoenixblight

We haz l337 skill7 yo.

24. G1GAHURTZ

It’s a bit of a silly situation…

A few years ago, only the top hardware could run the top games on max settings.

These days, your average gaming laptop can do that, so all the hardcore modders are pretty much just wasting their cash.

People who used to boast about getting 86fps out of Crysis from their 7900GTX and overclocked Pentium 4s now have to settle for console ports.

25. DSB

@24 I guess it kinda depends on what you’re aiming at.

I’m totally damaged from having grown up a PC gamer. Once games start getting choppy as soon as you dial them up to max, then it’s time to invest in new hardware.

If you just want to “run” games, then you could easily spend half of what a highend PC will set you back, but if you want to max them out, then you’re going to have to shell it out.

The main problem with ports is that a lot of them should really run a lot smoother than they do, but the publishers seem to be shorting us on the optimization, so the extra horsepower sometimes comes in handy, even when it shouldn’t be neccesary.

26. Erthazus

86 fps out of 7900 GTX? Are you high or something? You won’t get solid 25 fps on minimum setting with 7900 GTX and 4 pentium.

to run Crysis 1 on Ultra High with solid 60 fps you need already a 100 series geforce on PC. 100 series GPU = i mean Geforce 200 series and so on.
    To run Crysis 1 on solid 40+ fps on high you need Dual core with Geforce 8800 gtx or 9800 GTX with 1 GB Ram.

and no one acts as something “Special”. I will spend money on console or PC or whatever it is as long as it gives me the best out of best. Money is not a problem for me and never was. Gaming is gaming. It’s costly and i’m ok with this.

@Pat,

“Watch this video of the first game at 1080p. I don’t think I’ve ever really watched it running at max before. It’s completely mental:

if you have good PC, you can check this game with the same quality these days. It’s not a benchmark anymore.
    But this video does not give it a proper justice. In-game it looks much better to be honest.

@YoungZero, you can relax with your trolling. I don’t reply to you because you are brain damaged. It’s a free software for Crysis 2 which cost money. Without Crysis 2 it’s a piece of free code. So go figure, professor.

27. G1GAHURTZ

@25:

The main problem is the length of the necessary upgrade cycle for everyone, though.

You’re looking at a new midrange rig every couple of years or a new high end one about once every 3 to 4.

New directx versions have the potantial to make old graphics cards practically obsolete, whereas on console, the best looking, smoothest games usually get released about 7-8 years after the console was originally released.

28. Erthazus

“the best looking, smoothest games usually get released about 7-8 years after the console was originally released.”

aha… Especially “smoothest”.

“New directx versions have the potantial to make old graphics cards practically obsolete”

Direct X is just an API and nothing more. To make a hardware obsolete you first need to release something with Direct X that is worth something. Since direct X9 there was not a lot of departure, because all it adds just visual effects these days.

RAGE is on Direct X9 and it’s ONLY on direct X9 even on PC. It looks amazing, because of the proprietary technology.

29. DSB

@27 Not to mention all the problems that has to pose for all the developers.

With a console you have one set of hardware you need to accomodate, with the PC you have a million different combinations. 40% of PC gamers will be able to run Battlefield 3 with the recommended hardware, 80% will be able to run it at lower settings.

That’s still 20% of a base that you at least wouldn’t lose on tech if you made a console game.

It’s been a while since I’ve seen a game run poorly on either ATI or Nvidia cards, but for indie developers it’s not uncommon.

I don’t have any delusions about “my” platform. It’s behind the curve when it comes to accomodating the people whom we’d like to make games for it.

30. Patrick Garratt

I’ve just got a new PC. It’s got this in it:

- Intel® Core™i5-2400 Quad Core (3.10GHz, 6MB Cache) + HD Graphics
    - ASUS® P8H61-M LE/USB3 (NEW REV 3.0): M-ATX, USB 3.0, SATA 3.0Gb/s
    - RAM 4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)
    - 1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 550 Ti – DVI,HDMI,VGA – DX® 11, 3D Vision Ready

Will it make Crysis look like that?

31. Erthazus

Yes. Absolutely. 30-45 fps. Just on one condition: Vista or Windows 7 required

32. DSB

That should do it PatGar. I have almost the same GFX card and I can run it on full, but with slightly less antialiasing than the max.

33. Patrick Garratt

It’s got Windows 7, yeah. Right. I’ll try that, then.

34. Patrick Garratt

I still really do want to play Crysis 2, though. I know Crysis was dull in the back half, but the jungle sections were great fun, I thought.

35. YoungZer0

@26: Downloading it doesn’t cost you anything, so it’s by definition Free. Go figure, idiot.

I also love how you reply to my comment, saying you don’t reply to my comment. Just goes to show how broken your logic is.

36. DSB

Crysis 2 is a step up in terms of the setting and atmosphere, and it looks gorgeous, but I miss feeling like the AI is actually trying to outdo me.

The AI is so stupid in Crysis 2 that it doesn’t feel like a great accomplishment to kill a squad of soldiers. In Far Cry you always had to stay on your toes, and that would’ve gone for Crysis as well if not for the invisibility, but that whole feeling gets a swift kick in the nuts with Crysis 2.

The fact that they left a huge bug in the game which meant that I couldn’t upgrade my suit, because the “nanomoney thingy” used to upgrade it was reset every time you left the game, was slightly trying as well. Fixed now, but around launch it was terrible.

The difficulty and the placement of checkpoints are puzzling at best, standard difficulty is literally for dummies, and it cost me an hour or two of gameplay to realize it wasn’t getting harder. In Crysis and Far Cry it would checkpoint-save every time you took 5 steps, but in Crysis 2, you’ll easily lose 5 minutes of gameplay on a slip-up.

37. YoungZer0

@36: Agree on Setting, Atmosphere and AI. I really don’t understand what they did to the AI. Something went very wrong there. Especially if you consider how good the previous AI was.

38. Erthazus

@35, can you stop editing your comment, professor? :D

39. YoungZer0

@38: A little bit of editing wouldn’t hurt your comments.

40. Mike W

Is this a good setup to run Crysis 1 & 2 at max settings? Help me this is my first PC that I’m building

ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard – $170

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1333C7 G – $84.99

Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950 – $269

MSI R5770 Hawk Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card – $144.99

LG Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner – OEM – $19.99

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5″ Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive – $60

Thermaltake V5 Black Edition Mid-Tower Gaming Chassis With Embedded Handle VL70001W2Z – $59

NZXT HALE90-750-M 750W ATX 12V v2.2, EPS 12V v2.91 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply – $159

$969 total.

41. R3leaZ

It’s a nice rig but it’s missing some essential hardware :p It’s atleast pwning my rig xD

Aren’t you forgetting to add the costs for the OS?

Good setting but the 5770 is starting to show a little dust :\.

Oh and don’t forget a sound card (adds a pretty big difference to your overall gameplay, a good one against micro stutter and such since cpu doesn’t have to do anything for sound then.)

Dude where is the air/water cooler?

tip: I think it’s better to have 2 (or more) harddrives cuz you can sort your games from your “work” stuff. If you add the games to the secondary harddrive and your other software to your primary (OS). You almost won’t need to defrag your (games) harddrive at all. (except if you start deleting some of them)

don’t forget to add all these costs to the total xD

Second EDIT:

Here are the recommended system requirements:

Having one of the packages installed
    Recommended:
    o 64-bit Operating System
    o Fast HDD or even SSD
    o Quad Core CPU
    o 8GB of RAM
    o DX9 compatible graphic card with 1GB Video Memory

Having both packages installed and active:
    Recommended:
    o 64-bit Operating System
    o Fast HDD or even SSD
    o Quad Core CPU
    o 8GB of RAM
    o DX11 compatible graphic card with 1.5GB Video Memory

added link to dx11-faq: https://secure.mycrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=32062

42. bpcgos

@mike w
    Nice setup there, But probably you should spend more $ on graphic card (gt 460/6850 minimum) and less on mother board (except if you want to overclock your rig). I’m always be a budget pc gamer all this time, my motherboard always been under $100 (use BIOSTAR or Asrock, both have a nice support and bios feature for its price with asrock as a subsidiary of ASUS). I dont think there will be any significants differences between high priced and low priced motherboard (I’ve been using those mobo for several years and there’s no prob at all) and I’m always spend more on graphic card.

43. Maximum Payne

^^ Also you don’t need 6 or 8 gigs of ram it is useless for gaming.
    Also you can save up a little bit on CPU you don’t need I7 for gaming maybe you should find sandy bridge models but if money is not problem then def you should buy much better graphic like 6950.If you have budget limit then you safe up from:cpu,ram and motherboard