Euro Vita out 2012, Sony being secretive over launch plans

Friday, 24th June 2011 11:52 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Sony intends to skip the Christmas period with Vita in Europe, instead launching it in 2012, VG247 has learnt.

While we’ve been told by one development source today that Sony is refusing to detail specifics regarding the European launch, another told us that a 2012 Euro release is a certainty.

“It will not be out here this year,” he said.

The news adds into the earlier report this week from Amazon pegging it for a January release.

CVG‘s reporting this morning a January or February launch from a retail source, with a US 2011 launch still a possibility.

Kaz Hirai said that the handheld would launch this holiday at Sony’s E3 press conference two weeks ago.

However, SCEA president Jack Tretton said after the presser it would launch globally within this fiscal year – which ends March 2012 – as opposed to calendar 2011.

The system’s being priced at £229 and £279 for WiFi and 3G versions respectively, although the prices – in the UK, at least – haven’t been confirmed by SCEE.

$249/$299 pricepoints for both SKUs in the US were confirmed in Los Angeles.

1. 2plus2equals5

Are news like this that make me feel stupid to support sony. DX

Can someone tell me how can i import from usa?

2. Blerk

Considering how much Europe loves Sony, they somehow never fail to shit on them given the chance. :-|

3. KAP

Sony being secretive?…. thats new.

4. Erthazus

It’s not about shitting them over. The problem is about localization and copy rights in every freakin region.

It’s just they want to rush Vita as fast as possible on every market, until Nintendo can eat it.
    US and JP localization is easy and they have huge market and you don’t need to localize for each region like in Europe.

I’m ok with this, as long as they won’t screw the launch like in PSP era. It’s sadly that i will get it only next year.

5. SplatteredHouse

I hope, since they will miss the pre/post Christmas rush, that they aren’t going to be scrimping on advertising and publicity. They’ll need to make a big deal of this, to do well.

6. rrw

doesnt matter, if i really that desperate i can just import it from JP or US. it’s region free after all

beside there is other rumor that say PSV released this year

“Sony’s launch plans for PSVita this autumn.”

7. Bringit

From what I gather, it will be out this year. But in very small quantities. Like with PS2.

8. Lounds

I’ll just get my gf to buy it in US and send it over to me :)

9. IL DUCE

SUCKS 4 U EU!!!! (Lol, just kidding)

@1 dude why would you ever support Sony they are a joke of a company, I will never forgive them for the month long PSN outage and their blatant misinformation and general retarded-ness regarding the matter

I’m not even going to get a PS Vita while I’m sure its cool and fun I just wasn’t that impressed by the stuff @ E3 plus I hardly have enough time to play my home consoles so I doubt I will find that much time to make a portable worthwhile…maybe if I’m impressed when I see it in person eventually my opinion will change but probably not

And on a side note…enough with the january amazon thing they listed it as 12/31/11 with the assumption that it would come out before the end of the year so it was just a generic latest release date possible if it was going to make it out this year…its just absolute idiocy to take it as anything else…GameStop does the same exact thing whenever a game is announced for late 2011 but doesn’t have a specific date such as Battlefield 3 originally was listed @ GameStop with that date before it went to Nov 1st and then moved up a week to Oct 25th

10. spiderLAW